TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Cal calls Willis out.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cal calls Willis out.
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 01-02-2016 08:15 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
On TV at half time interview. I DID NOT LIKE THAT. I know many here will disagree with me and that's fine. I think that is beneath a coach at a major university. Keep it in the locker room, IMO.
Posts: 5411 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-02-2016 09:05 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Handy, I am one that totally agree with what you said about Cal calling Willis out during his half time interview. I did not see the five points that Willis gave up myself and thought his singling him out as the one player who did not play up to his specifications was totally unprofessional. I can clearly see why Willis has trouble playing for Cal, it does not seem to matter what he does either good or bad, it is never enough and god forbid him to make a single mistake, something the other players do not get berated for, especially on national TV. Very unprofessional of our coach in my opinion and caused me to lose a lot of my respect for Cal.

[ 01-02-2016, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-02-2016 09:51 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is the main reason I am in doubt when he says he is offering a white player. Anything short of Bill Walton's reincarnation is the only hope I see us ever getting another big white guy to come to UK after our most recent transfer to Gonzaga and Willis. Not saying he's prejudice but he just doesn't have faith in guys like this.
Posts: 14176 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-02-2016 10:03 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think we have 2 big white guys on the bench right now, don't we?

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123991 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-02-2016 10:04 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I didn't hear coach call Willis out. I was listening to Tom and Mike on the radio broadcast!

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-03-2016 12:20 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He has done the same to a lot of players mostly blacks. Don't like it one bit but he isn't going to change. Just listen to him on the sideline, he does it to all the players except maybe Cousins.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 01-03-2016 07:35 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bama Cat:
This is the main reason I am in doubt when he says he is offering a white player. Anything short of Bill Walton's reincarnation is the only hope I see us ever getting another big white guy to come to UK after our most recent transfer to Gonzaga and Willis. Not saying he's prejudice but he just doesn't have faith in guys like this.

None of us, the fans on here, are at practice and see what these young men are taught to do. If you think about it, there is a reason why some players don't play and others do. As long as Willis has been on the team, he should know what is expected from him. He is an athletic, tall kid, who happens to be white.

As for Wiltjer, he is a slow of foot, unathletic kid who can shoot the three and he is definitely white.

I don't see a coach who is biased against white players. I see a coach who gave an in state kid a scholly and has told him what he needs to do to have playing time.

Willis has improved. He needs to keep improving. He won't start, next season, either. But, he will be a very solid player coming off the bench for a team with a shot at winning the whole thing.

I read complaints from some on why Cal won't get more 4 year players and when he gets a few on the team, those same fans want those kids to have more playing time. They are four year guys and the one and done guys have more talent and they have to play more, so they will be ready by tourney time.

The other scenario would be to recruit all the lesser talented players, win 19 to 20 games every season, and get knocked out of the tournament early, every year like what usually happened to Tubby.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-03-2016 08:19 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
^^^^^ I agree with that final paragraph^^^^^

--------------------

WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 01-03-2016 08:41 AM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boomdaddy:
quote:

None of us, the fans on here, are at practice and see what these young men are taught to do. If you think about it, there is a reason why some players don't play and others do. As long as Willis has been on the team, he should know what is expected from him. He is an athletic, tall kid, who happens to be white.

As for Wiltjer, he is a slow of foot, unathletic kid who can shoot the three and he is definitely white.

I don't see a coach who is biased against white players. I see a coach who gave an in state kid a scholly and has told him what he needs to do to have playing time.

Willis has improved. He needs to keep improving. He won't start, next season, either. But, he will be a very solid player coming off the bench for a team with a shot at winning the whole thing.

I read complaints from some on why Cal won't get more 4 year players and when he gets a few on the team, those same fans want those kids to have more playing time. They are four year guys and the one and done guys have more talent and they have to play more, so they will be ready by tourney time.

The other scenario would be to recruit all the lesser talented players, win 19 to 20 games every season, and get knocked out of the tournament early, every year like what usually happened to Tubby.

Nailed it!!!

--------------------
RLTW!

Posts: 856 | From: Savannah Ga | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 01-03-2016 09:17 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Boom, lets assume everything you said is true. Does that make it right for Cal to call Willis out on national TV? My point is that comment should have been kept in the locker room or at the very least at the bench. I just don't remember him ever calling anyone out like that on national TV.

I'm a Cal fan but I think he needs a filter on his mouth at times

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 01-03-2016 10:28 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have seen college and pro coaches of football and basket ball call out a player on occasion. Either they are using it as a motivation tool or they are fed up with a player not paying attention to their coaching and doing the opposite of what they are instructed to do.

It is what it is. Cal is not the only one who has done it and won't be the last. I remember a teacher I had that would embarrass a student in front of the whole class if their home work wasn't ready. Not as big as telling a national audience, but it had the same effect. Maybe that is what Cal is going after, I don't know.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
country cat
Player
Member # 1774

posted 01-03-2016 10:59 AM      Profile for country cat   Email country cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i think if i was willis--i would transfer to another school----lets face it he would be a star at 90% of the schools--while i like coach cal--and think he is a recuriter without equal---i am kinda getting tired of hearing him scream at the top of his lungs on ever play----like when the ball went into the back court he had no reason to scream at murry to go get it----the refs are paid good like or dislike i dont care this is my opinion

--------------------
american by birth-----wildcat by choice --- if you not the lead cat---your view never changes

Posts: 1023 | From: breathitt co-----lost in eldorado | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 01-03-2016 12:09 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have a big problem with this thread and the accusations of Coach Cal not playing white players. Why the need to question it constantly? Would it make a difference to you guys if we went 40-0 with an all white team or 40-0 with a predominantly black team. For some I do believe it would make a difference and that is sad. This is my only issue with some fellow Kentucky fans.

What we should care about is:

Does Coach recruit the best talent. He does!

Does Coach recruit good kids (Character). He does!

Do the kids represent the program well. They do!

Do future prospects want to play for us. They do!

Are we relevant and constantly competing for a National Title? WE ARE!

So Black, Brown, Yellow, Red, Orange or white I don't care so long as they meet the above criteria.

As UK fans the only thing you accomplish by bringing up race in any way shape or form, is allow other programs to use the race card on us. Future prospects will hear from other Coaches across the country, "don't go to UK there fans are racist, they would prefer you to be white." and so on...

So if you do feel this way, you should probably keep it to your self. All you are doing is giving fuel to other programs.

--------------------
RLTW!

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-03-2016 12:25 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Who, you do make some good points, some which I am guilty of.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 01-03-2016 12:53 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When you insinuate that a player is not playing or being belittled because of his skin color, regardless of your intentions, it will be perceived as a race issue.

Now, I did not personally attack anyone or accuse anyone personally of being racist. All I did was insinuate from the above comments. My personal insinuation has led to you accusing me of saying people are racist on this forum. I say again I did not accuse anyone of being racist but my insinuations led to this.

This is how easy it is for other programs to use the race card on us when we use terms/phrases like white player/black player.

--------------------
RLTW!

WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 01-03-2016 01:38 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Other phrases like white boys and blacks have been used in this thread as well. How about we just refer to them as kids because that's what they are.

To answer your question yes you are in kindergarten if you can't understand that I said, "as a UK fan if you bring up race in reference to a player it can and will be viewed as racist."

--------------------
RLTW!

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-03-2016 02:30 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hopefully you all listened to his interview after the game on the court as well. He "called" out Skal and Alex. He also called out Murray while he was "mic'ed" up for the SEC Network and other players as well.

Cal also credits his players more than most coaches do publicly as well. I don't think it is as much calling out as it is coaching a young team year after year.

As for Derek Willis, I don't think he pays attention to detail. I think that has become obvious. I specifically watched him going after rebounds with two hands. He did it once on his out put back dunk which was a thing of beauty, but that was it. He was also constantly out of position on defense and the. He doesn't make sure he gets both feet out of bounds when inbounding the ball for a TO. I think the kid is lazy and is wasting his talent, which he basically admitted last year to being lazy in an interview.

That will not get you playing time for Cal. A lot of coaches would allow him to be lazy like the current guy in Bloomington, IN. LOL.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-03-2016 05:06 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A few years ago I believe he told everyone that Terrance Jones was weak with his play. By his second season he was playing with more authority. I even saw it in the paper and in print. In his case it worked and helped him become a better player. But in Willis's case he may have let him play on once without jerking him. Others he just yells at and keeps them on the floor. Poythress made something like 3 mistakes in a row near the beginning yesterday before he jerked him. Every one of these kids are going to make mistakes. They are not perfect and they need to learn thru mistakes.
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-03-2016 05:40 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My comments below are probably what got this going in a racist direction. Sorry but it wasn't meant to be racist. What I was trying to say was people who have watched Wiltjer and Willis and watched the recruiting of Zimmerman may possibly look at this as Cal not having faith in these supposedly all americans being able to perform like the blacks that he recruits. Also, like in the case of Zimmerman who I thought we were recruiting hard, maybe we weren't recruiting him that hard. Or maybe he was being advised to look at Wiltjer and Willis and telling him he would be in the same boat. This is why I have had my doubts about Cal having enough faith in these guys to let them play thru a mistake. I really believe that Cal is afraid to lose a game and he would go with 5 guys the whole game if it meant not losing a game.

"""This is the main reason I am in doubt when he says he is offering a white player. Anything short of Bill Walton's reincarnation is the only hope I see us ever getting another big white guy to come to UK after our most recent transfer to Gonzaga and Willis. Not saying he's prejudice but he just doesn't have faith in guys like this."""

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-03-2016 09:12 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
SCWC,

The interview where Cal talked about Skal and Poy was right after the game and before the SEC Network moved away from coverage. Same woman that interviewed him at halftime interviewed him 45 seconds after the final horn.

I personally think the interviews at halftime and after the game on the floor are ridiculous and so is the Mic'ed up stuff. It is going to lead to more comments about players because they are happening in the heat of the battle.

I'm not questioning Willis is playing hard but I questioned whether or not he has the discipline or maybe it is smarts to carry out what the coaches are asking him to do. Which I view as laziness. Maybe that is not the best term but that is how I view it. If you watch Willia he almost knows he is coming out before Cal even says anything because he is not doing what he is being asked to do. No doubt the kid can shoot and provide offense. He is just not the active rebounder that Poy, Lee, Murray, Briscoe, or even Mathews are. He tends to just float around the perimeter and if he is playing the 4 he has to crash the boards with two hands.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-03-2016 09:34 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal plays no favorites, he has his faults but favoritism isn't one of them. Willis has a tendency to be soft and doesn't like to mix it up like Lee and Poythress. All you have to do is check the stats and you can see by his numbers that he is a shooter but his rebounding is not so good and either is his defense. The good thing he knows what he needs to do to get minutes and it's up to him to improve and he will get more than his share of minutes.

--------------------

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-04-2016 09:01 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Willis is a stretch four. His comparison would be with the other stretch four, Poythress.

Poythress has his faults, but rebounding isn't one of them. If Willis had the desire and focus on rebounding that Poy has, he would not be in the doghouse.

Of the two, Willis is the better shooter and better passer. Poy is the better defender and better rebounder. Guess which two factors rank higher in Cal's book?

I agree with Trey. Willis isn't doing what the coaches are asking of him. Cal has said many times that he will forgive a missed shot, as long as it is taken within the flow of the offense. But he doesn't have much patience with poor defense or lackadaisical rebounding. Willis just doesn't (currently) have the mind-set for mixing it up and snagging rebounds in traffic. If that changes, I suspect he will see a lot more minutes.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-04-2016 09:13 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Exactly, Willis has work to do, his time will come when he improves his defense, gets stronger on the boards, numbers don't lie and play no favorites. One more stat, Willis has turned the ball over 9 time and Poythress has turned the ball over 9 times, difference being Poy has played (301) minutes to get 9 t/o's and Willis has played far less minutes (143). Another huge stat is rebounding, where Poy gets a rebound every 3.1 minutes compared to Willis who gets a rebound every 5.7 minutes and when your a power forward that a "huge difference".

I am no fan of all the moves Cal makes and his demeanor of yelling and screaming or his coaching decisions in tight games but he does have a huge ego and wants to win which is good. He plays no favorites and sees his players in practice and certainly has a win loss resume that is unapproachable. He didn't get that record from playing favorites and plays the best players regardless of their color.

[ 01-04-2016, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------

WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 01-04-2016 09:53 AM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tiptree:
Willis is a stretch four. His comparison would be with the other stretch four, Poythress.

Poythress has his faults, but rebounding isn't one of them. If Willis had the desire and focus on rebounding that Poy has, he would not be in the doghouse.

Of the two, Willis is the better shooter and better passer. Poy is the better defender and better rebounder. Guess which two factors rank higher in Cal's book?

I agree with Trey. Willis isn't doing what the coaches are asking of him. Cal has said many times that he will forgive a missed shot, as long as it is taken within the flow of the offense. But he doesn't have much patience with poor defense or lackadaisical rebounding. Willis just doesn't (currently) have the mind-set for mixing it up and snagging rebounds in traffic. If that changes, I suspect he will see a lot more minutes.

Could not agree more

--------------------
RLTW!

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 01-04-2016 10:59 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For whatever reason I think Cal made up his mind about Willis two years ago and I don't think it will change. Right or wrong, I think that is just the way it is. I really didn't start this thread to lobby for more playing time for Willis. Cal makes those decisions as he should. I have never liked any coach criticizing a kid in front of the media. Yes that's what they are, kids , not professionals.

As for a "stretch four" that' s a new one for me. I kind of look at Lee and Poy as the same player. Good rebounders, good defenders, can't create a lot of shots, pick up a lot of junk points and neither much of an outside threat. I do realize Poy can hit the occasional 3. With Willis in the game I think it gives a different look to the offense, one Cal obviously doesn't like.

I realize there are a lot higher basketball IQ's on here than mine, but I just don't see Willis as that big of a liability on defense.

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-04-2016 11:44 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
SCWC,

Cal originally applied the term "stretch four" (which is, indeed, an NBA term) to Poythress, not Willis. And, if his three-point shot is falling, Poythress is a better stretch-four than a traditional four, especially at the NBA level. His quickness and athleticism would give traditional power forwards matchup problems -- again, if he can consistently hit the three-pointer.

Here is Cal when he was revealing his rotation earler:

quote:
FOUR: Alex Poythress/Derek Willis (if he’ll rebound with two hands)

“Alex four, Derek — if he’ll rebound, with two hands, go get balls. When he reaches with one, he never brings it in ever and they’re all baskets for the other team and they’re freebies. So if he’ll rebound, Derek would be the other four that gives you another stretch, he and Alex, who can really score from that position.”

That one quote directly addresses both issues: That he considers both Poy and Willis as 'stretch fours', and that Willis' big problem is his rebounding.

BTW, it appears from Cal's rotation that our weakest position is the '3' -- Briscoe is the starter, and Matthews is the backup. Briscoe can't hit a floor shot if his life depended on it, making him a rather weak '3' IMO. Not sure about Matthews, mainly because I haven't seen enough of him to decide.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com