TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Net Rankings -Wow

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Net Rankings -Wow
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 02-19-2024 11:15 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So the NET Rankings is one of the main tools the committee uses when seeding teams. I think the NET Rankings are broken. Get a load of this.

Net Rankings going into Saturday’s games:

Auburn was #7 and UK was #21
Wisconsin was #22 and Iowa was #66

UK beats Auburn 70-59
Iowa beats Wisconsin 88-86

Net Rankings as of Sunday

Auburn stays at #7
UK drops to #22
Wisconsin moves UP to #21
Iowa drops to #67

So the two teams that win drop in the rankings. Why? UK dropped because South Carolina, Miami, UNC-Wilmington, and Texas A&M lost but do not get help from their own win, Tennessee win, Florida win, UNC win, and Kansas win.

It is stupid. Ok, I will say the not politically correct statement: this is what you get when a bunch of nerds are doing these power rankings. LOL.

[ 02-20-2024, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11534 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 02-20-2024 09:37 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah. I understand in theory what they are trying to accomplish, but the actual formula seems a poor match to reality.

All ratings have an algorithm; all attempt to take the human subjectivity out and use "objective" truth to rate the teams. But, this is a game played by humans, with emotions, injuries, girlfriend problems, family isssues, stupid teens doing stupid things... you name it. As they say in the world of investing, "Past results do not predict future success".

So, we need a ranking. But the algorithm, the underlying score engine, is the problem. the Net ratings seem preposterous. Probably because of the weight they give to opponents instead of to the actual team performance. Should the success/failure of one-time opponents matter so much? I don't think so. Teams evolve over the course of a season. Some get better, some get worse. So, we may have beaten a team that was playing really good basketball at the time, but has slipped since. We UK fans know the "superbowl" effect, where an average team suddenly plays way above their station when UK is the opponent. Should WE be punished for that? No, but we are!

I used to follow Sagarin, which I thought was a little better. But, no rating system can capture the true potential of any team, given the dynamic nature of players, teams, etc. I just like my team's potential, and I really love it when they approach maximizing that potential. This team has the pieces to be a title contender, and we are watching in real-time as they are assembling the components into a working team.

Let's just hope we don't get punished any more for our opponents' failures.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13595 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com