TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Oscar

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oscar
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-07-2023 11:26 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's possible that Oscar may come back and play another year at UK. Oscar is a unanimous POY (2022) and 2nd-team All-American (2023), yet he is unlikely to be picked in the first round of the NBA draft. This has to be negative as far as Calipari's track record of producing top draft picks.
Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-08-2023 09:48 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm now thinking that he most likely won't like what he hears from the NBA and he'll return to play with his third different team at UK. I believe the NIL will look better to him than riding the bench in the NBA or worse yet getting less than $100K in the Dleague.
Posts: 14124 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-08-2023 10:51 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
IF he comes back, and if he cannot improve his defense, Cal may be in the awkward position of not starting a two-time All-American and former unanimous POY.

Teams beat us primarily because they could beat Oscar.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13595 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 04-09-2023 08:19 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip I don't agree with u 100% as to be a "great" defensive rebounder, Oscar would most always get into position and that means leaving or playing loosely on his man.

Hard to be both imo

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-09-2023 09:06 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For me, Oscar’s upside far outweighs his downside.

I shudder to think where we would have been without him the past two years.

I’ve often wondered why he is such a liability on defense. He is obviously quick on his feet, has a nose for the ball and has a quick first step. Plus, while not a prolific leaper, he is is a “quick jumper”. His piss poor hands shouldn’t come into play that much on defense. You would think that equates to a very good defensive player, Unless it’s simply a matter of desire. What Ed said makes sense to me.

[ 04-09-2023, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5379 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-09-2023 09:18 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And there's always the possibility he might learn a little from Bradshaw. I believe Bradshaw will start by getting at least half the minutes, 20 per game. And if Collins decides to stay we would have double depth at the 2 front court positions. Oscar and Bradshaw with Collins and Ware to relieve. Everyone else could be considered guards or wings. If Thierro also stays we could possibly have as deep a team as we had with the Harrison twins.

[ 04-09-2023, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Bama Cat ]

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-09-2023 09:35 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
If Thierro also stays we could possibly have as deep a team as we had with the Harrison twins.
Now, that is an encouraging thought!

I agree that Tshiebwe is a monster rebounder and can be an effective scorer if he isn't swallowed up by a longer, taller defender. But the fact remains that he was a huge defensive liability. Not sure how to deal with that going forward, other than have him focus on improvement relentlessly. I WANT him on the floor, but he can't be the easy target he was last year.

[ 04-09-2023, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13595 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 04-09-2023 01:03 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Playing a zone defense could help Oscar a lot.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-10-2023 12:08 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulCat:
This has to be negative as far as Calipari's track record of producing top draft picks.

I don't think so. NBA is just a different game than college. Oscar at 6'9" is not a true center in the league and even 95% of the true centers over 7'0" in the league can shoot the three and defend.

Oscar's two main deficiencies, lack of 3 Point shot and defense, are what have to be strengths to play in the NBA as un undersized center.

I agree that Oscar may come back for his final year. I would take him in a heartbeat as well.

[ 04-10-2023, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11534 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-10-2023 12:25 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Let's face it, Oscar and Wheeler have deficiencies that make them non desireable NBA players. They really have two niches, one the NIL system getting money from the local advertising area or going over seas to play pro ball for less than the NBA salary. Good luck to both of them whenever they decide to call it a career in college.

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com