TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Bad News

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bad News
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 12-17-2022 09:01 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Don't loo0k now but I don't think we're gonna win #9 this year. Probably won't win the SEC either. How can we get all these great players and play like we do? Today we choked and we lost confidence in our shots, especially the free throws again. The big mystery is "how did Ware play so good" after not getting off the bench for a long string of games????
Posts: 14124 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bigcatdaddy
Player
Member # 21

posted 12-17-2022 09:32 PM      Profile for Bigcatdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
9 won’t come from Cal, and maybe not in my lifetime.

--------------------
It's me, the cat.

Posts: 10223 | From: Macy, Ind. | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 12-17-2022 09:57 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
P!$$ on Cal. I'm through with him. 5 and 13 in our last 18 games versus ranked opponents. He gets the best players and can't coach a lick. I wish we had Nate Oats as our coach.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 12-17-2022 10:49 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Who knows what goes on with Cal. Livingston will probably get forgot about on the bench like Hopkibs did last year. I've said this for 11+ years, Cal is a bad coach. Great recruiter, terrible coach. UK should have had at least2, if not 3, championships in his time with the talent he has had. No one has had more and done so little. Really sad and so frustrating. He needs to be gone. But who knows, with all the talent we should have next year a r they might just be good enough to make up for the crappy coach. Like the 2012 team did, and the 2015 team almost did. But his terrible coaching was just too much for them to overcome.
Posts: 5424 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 12-18-2022 01:56 AM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rlt4uk:
P!$$ on Cal. I'm through with him. 5 and 13 in our last 18 games versus ranked opponents. He gets the best players and can't coach a lick. I wish we had Nate Oats as our coach.

I personally like Eric Musselman. I had a holiday party to attend and wasn’t upset about missing the game because I figured it would be another loss vs a ranked team and sure enough another disappointing loss. I really don’t know what’s wrong with Cal, a HS coach could do a better job. SMH
Posts: 1495 | From: Wimauma, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 12-18-2022 06:56 AM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The first step to fixing a problem is to admit you have one. Cal seems to think there isn’t a problem with his coaching. He talks about “toughness” being the issue last night. No coach, it’s the “fundamentals” that are the issue. Unforced turnovers, missed layups, missed free throws, and poor basketball IQ are the problem. Toughness has nothing to do with it. Coaching has everything to do with it.

Signed,
A basketball Benny

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 12-18-2022 08:23 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And do you think the players like their toughness questioned. That's what he always goes to. It's always the players fault and never any of his. I'm sure the players know there could be better offensive plays. I am honestly surprised top guys still want to cone play for him. He definitely doesn't free them up. When they get to the NBA it's got to feel like such freedom for them in the offensive side.
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 12-18-2022 10:15 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like to believe I am a loyal person and fan. BUT, I’m finding it increasingly difficult to defend Cal in spite of my close relationship with Ellen.

I watched UCLA be manhandled by Illinois, lose to Baylor and then easily defeat a pretty good Maryland team. I thought this was a game that would be a good indicator of how good this team could be. I now believe we have little chance to compete for an SEC title much less a National Championship. Please Cal , prove me wrong.

If Cal uses Livingston like he did Hopkins last year, I’m done. Maybe I’m done regardless.

I said in a previous post that I was not ready to throw Cal under the bus but had a hand hovering over his back. I now have my hand planted firmly on the middle his back and keeping a close eye out for the bus. For me, the it has not arrived just yet. I do hear a rumbling around the corner.

[ 12-18-2022, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5379 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 12-18-2022 10:54 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Toughness? Really? He must have been listening to the broadcast. All the announcers could talk about was how "tough" UCLA was.

UCLA was tougher, rougher, more physical than we were, and they didn't get called for it by the refs. So, we needed to adapt to that. But even if we were the "tougher" team, we still had no plan, no system in which that toughness would be anything more than thuggery.

Cal doesn't give these guys a good offense to allow them to thrive and utilize their vast talents. I wish he would. There were moments when I thought we did OK on offense -- but only moments. One possession we ran the dribble-drive very, very well. Unfortunately, we missed the open shot.

Other times, this offense just infuriates me. Our "picks" are more a suggestion, rather than an obstruction, when we do them. The only regular pick we see is when Oscar sets a high pick for the ball handler, but THEY ALMOST NEVER MAKE USE OF IT. Other teams know how to use picks to deadly effect. Our guys? Meh. Not so much.

The dribble-drive rarely works, because it is clear that the defense need only focus on the ball-handler and whoever he is going to hand-off too. The rest of the team is not a threat, even though they SHOULD be. We just don't pass well out of the dribble-drive; it is too focused on getting one man a layup. But it rarely works, and many, many open shot opportunities are simply ignored.

What we try to do most often is get Tshiewbe the ball. That is a good idea, if he is open. But last night, we were forcing passes right into their defense. Most possessions, they had one of their thugs playing behind Oscar, and one guy floating a few feet in front. I don't know how many turnovers we made trying to pass past the floating defender. And, if we did manage to get the ball inside to Oscar, he would quickly be triple-teamed. And even when he tried to kick it out, we would turn it over. Just pathetic passing overall.

So, all this talk about "toughness" is a distraction. Toughness is a tertiary attribute of a great team. First comes talent, discipline and work. Second comes skills, basketball IQ, and teamwork in the context of a great system. We get the kids with talent and discipline, and by all reports, they work hard. But the coaches fail on all counts. TWICE we tried to save the ball that was going out of bounds that should have been let go. Once it led to a runout and a bucket for UCLA. The other time we just go lucky. That is just basketball IQ.

Cal gets only one small concession from me. His offense is never very roboust at this time of the year. It takes until early February for us to see the team operate using the full playbook. But, we all know that playbook, and it is not up to modern standards. And, by the time that happens, we have piled up all these losses.

Cal may not care about those losses, but he is the only person on this planet who doesn't. I care. All UK fans care. The selection committee cares. So, we go into the tournament a low seed, which is like running a sprint with leg weights. We aren't likely to win.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13595 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 12-18-2022 10:59 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm so sick of the "we miss too many shots" excuse. We miss too many shots because they're terrible shots! Our offense is only efficient if we can make those terrible shots.

I loved Cronin's remark at halftime. "If you limit Oscar Schebwie then you've got a chance." Coaches know how to beat Kentucky.

Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 12-18-2022 11:15 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One other thought. In the past, when championships were the goal, and "program pride" was the sustaining principle, kids would buy in for the season, working, building, improving, focused on winning it all.

Now, we have a "player first" program. In my opinion, this is a manifestation of the selfishness fostered by today's culture. Me, me, me, me. But, Cal gets kids who do seem to be a little less selfish, but he recruits them by tossing out the dream of big money and fame in the NBA. by the time the tournament rolls around, our kids are more focused on the NBA than the NCAA. Sweet money more than the Sweet Sixteen. Draft day more than the final four. So, they come in, do enough to showcase their talents, but they do not fully buy-in to this program. They are merely passing through, thank you very much...

So, I don't think Cal will ever succeed to our expectations as long-time UK fans. Our program has lost a lot of respect since he assembled enough of a juggernaut of talent to win it all in 2012. That was a long time ago. We sniffed success in 2015, but not so much in other years. Every year we get excited by the incoming talent, but I now see that as a smoke screen. These kids are just using UK as a showcase to get to their real dream -- the NBA.

That is why I like Tshiewbe so much. He seems to really care and wants to win for us, the fans, and for the program. Ware knows he has no NBA future, so he plays all-out. I respect that. Give me more of those kinds of kids, and less of the 5-stars with NBA dreams. Cal can't use them anyway.

[ 12-18-2022, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13595 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 12-18-2022 12:13 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's why I loved what Jay Wright did at Nova. He took kids that were mostly 3-4 starts, mixed in some 5 stars, developed them and then won. His teams played to their potential where Cal's always underachieve. The big names don';t really care about winning in college, just getting enough recognition to make it to the NBA. I feel like the majority of this team isn't just about getting to the NBA. Sure, that's a dream, but I feel the majority of our guys are the fringe NBA guys who want to win in college. The problem is not the players, and never has been, the problem is the coach. The coach should be able to handle his players as the bench is the great motivator.
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 12-18-2022 02:25 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
OOT plays- how come we dont have any under our basket or our sideline out of bounds plays. Coach prefers to just get it in to a big and start our "half court" offense

HELLO
Coach we dont have a "half court" offense. Dribble make a cpl passes, run the clock down to 5 secs then throw up a wild 3.

heck maybe a oob play will give us a quick score or is that too easy?

SUBS

Ware is playing the best all season so what does our hall of fame coach do. Doesnt put him in for the last 14 mins. Instead uses toppin who was worthless all day?

WHY?? Stupid? Cant coach? Wonder if he has ever heard of a "quick hitter" play?

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com