TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » FBI

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: FBI
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-23-2018 09:27 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bam, Noel and Knox have been named in the FBI probe. Looks like the sports agency being investigated gave "loans" to Bam and Noel and paid for a meal for Knox.
Posts: 10347 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 02-23-2018 10:14 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I read on KSR that any school with a first round draft pick in the past 3 years should not sleep well anytime soon.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36271 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jerseycat
Player
Member # 9

posted 02-23-2018 10:20 AM      Profile for jerseycat   Email jerseycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Knox's dad has already come out and said he, nor Kevin, ever had dinner with them.

[ 02-23-2018, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: jerseycat ]

--------------------
UK Class of 1968

Posts: 1791 | From: Red Bank, NJ | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 02-23-2018 11:03 AM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This could really affect the NCAA tourney. If they have evidence and can prove a current player from taking benefits, they will be immediately ineligible. Here are a few players taking benefits. Notice they didn't mention any Puke players although they are on the FBI school list.

Dennis Smith, NC State: $73,500
Jarrell Martin, LSU: $52,472.72
Isaiah Whitehead, Seton Hall: $37,657
Bam Adebayo, Kentucky: 36,500
Tim Quarterman, LSU: $16,000
Diamond Stone, Maryland: $14,303
Markelle Fultz, Washington: $10,000
Kyle Kuzma, Utah: $9,500
Edmond Sumner, Xavier: $7,000
P.J. Dozier, S. Carolina: $6,115
Apples Jones (mother of KU star Josh Jackson): $2,700
Jaron Blossomgame, Clemson: $1,100
Fred VanVleet, Wichita State: $1,000

[ 02-23-2018, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: blue hoot ]

Posts: 1497 | From: Wimauma, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 02-23-2018 11:23 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was afraid of this. I am sure UK will get nailed, while Duke and UNC will have little to nothing happen. Everyone should just use UNC's defense and say that since this isn't an athletic issue it doesn't involve the NCAA. It's a business loan and doesn't involve athletics so NCAA needs to stay out.
Posts: 5441 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-23-2018 11:30 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
An ESPN article I read mentions Carter, one of the Duke stars currently a freshman on their roster.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-23-2018 12:06 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Carter appears to be mentioned in the same light as Knox - they may have excepted a meal. Knox will get the death penalty while Carter will skate free. [Wink]
ProBlue
Player
Member # 2944

posted 02-23-2018 02:07 PM      Profile for ProBlue   Email ProBlue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
well maybe this will get rid of the 1 and done and make it college Basketball again like it should be.

--------------------
ProBlue

Posts: 760 | From: Bristol,Tn. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Cold Spring Cat
Player
Member # 14751

posted 02-23-2018 02:37 PM      Profile for Cold Spring Cat   Email Cold Spring Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is only the beginning. There are a lot more names that will be coming out - both coaches and players.
Posts: 140 | From: Cold Spring, KY | Registered: Sep 2017  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 02-23-2018 05:40 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ProBlue:
well maybe this will get rid of the 1 and done and make it college Basketball again like it should be.

JMO, what it should do is open it so players can get paid. Everyone makes money in this billion dollar industry other than those who are directly responsible for putting the product on the floor.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bluebird
Player
Member # 954

posted 02-23-2018 07:44 PM      Profile for Bluebird     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The FBI will investigate cases like these with every last breath, but when it comes to investigating a Florida teen, who murdered 17 people, they do nothing. Go figure.
Posts: 128 | From: Maysville, KY | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 02-23-2018 10:56 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I watched Cal’s statement. In my opinion, he didn’t look very confident. Kept looking over his shoulder at DeWayne Peevy to see what he could say and couldn’t say.

I’m not sure how this all will go down after seeing that exchange.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 02-24-2018 12:46 AM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think anyone which follows NCAA football and basketball comprehends the shady factors involved with recruiting individuals. The schools, sports networks and shoe companies are making a boat load of money! Meanwhile, the FBI and DOJ are dragging their feet on corrupt politicians, especially the ones inside their own agency.
Posts: 1497 | From: Wimauma, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-24-2018 09:43 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I watched the Cal interview and did not feel he looked overly uncomfortable with the situation. I assume Knox will play tonight but if he doesn't, we may have a problem.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-24-2018 10:02 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trey Ball:
quote:
Originally posted by ProBlue:

JMO, what it should do is open it so players can get paid. Everyone makes money in this billion dollar industry other than those who are directly responsible for putting the product on the floor.
What it should do is open it so that kids go to college for an education while basketball is secondary. Eliminate recruiting and scholarships, and if a kid goes to college he cannot enter the NBA until four years have elapsed. If a kid has plans to play in the NBA, enter the D-league right out of high school. Put a cap on coaches salaries so that they make the same at college professors.

College sports should not be a stepping stone for the NBA.

College sports are extracurricular activities that were turned into million dollar industries ruled by greed and corruption. Get rid of it all and if this means D-1 basketball teams turn into D3 teams, I can live with that.

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 02-24-2018 01:14 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
PC,

Like it or not NCAA Athletics is a Multi-Billion dollar business and the only people not getting a piece of it are the players: Universities get revenue, coaches get paid, TV gets paid, advertisers make millions, etc, etc, etc.

That is not changing, so change it so the people responsible for the product on the floor can get paid.

I do agree that kids should be able to go directly to the Pro's, but that is an NBA rule not a collegiate rule and I don't think the NBA Players association is planning on negotiating that anytime soon.

I understand your scenario, but the world of collegiate sports has changed over the last 40 years, but the players still live with antiquated rules. It's a bunch of BS in my mind. It's like saying hey we now have 4K TV's, but our rules in Indiana say you can only have a black and white, tube TV in your house. Or hey we have these things called cell phones, but you are only allowed to have a pager.

[ 02-24-2018, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------

redbone

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 02-24-2018 01:49 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think legitimate paying of players is the answer to stop cheating in college athletics. There will still be people and institutions who will pay more than the allotted amount to elite athletes and athletes who will gladly accept more than their teammates. Hard to stop cheaters from cheating.
Posts: 5408 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-24-2018 02:07 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trey Ball:
Like it or not NCAA Athletics is a Multi-Billion dollar business and the only people not getting a piece of it are the players

Based on the recent events, turns out the players are getting paid.

And NCAA athletics should not be a business. That's exactly what needs to change in order to fix this mess.

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com