TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Why John Wall should not go pro!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why John Wall should not go pro!
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-06-2010 10:59 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wall is going to the NBA this year but this article points out some legitiment reasons why he should wait.

So, what is more important — another year in college or a fast break into one of the most unforgiving leagues in professional sports? One route almost guarantees lifelong success, while the other only dazzles dollars in exchange for a shortcut, which could inevitably be fateful in the worst possible way.
I could cite ridiculous examples of failures and successes until I’m blue in the face, but the fact is – getting to the league early only guarantees one thing – money.

So if you’re that agent looking at him as merely a business proposition, I challenge you to forget about your cut of the monetary gain and think about the person before the player. I challenge you to become an advisor before a business partner (for lack of a better word, an agent).
I expect Mr. Wall will have heard and will see nearly every voice and face in the sports industry. For him I would advise three things:
1.Ask yourself; what do you want your legacy to be in the next 10, 15, or 20 years?
2.How important is money to your short-term and long-term happiness?
3.What would it mean to win an NCAA National Title and share this with your friends, family, and peers?
The glitz and excitement of what lies ahead will always be there – cheap and opportunitistic people will come and go, the draft will be there next year (if not, then in 2012), but your image and more importantly your legacy will live forever.
John Wall – I challenge you to define yourself before others define you.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 04-06-2010 11:07 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That writer is having a pipe dream. John Wall is as good as gone, as he should be. So should Cousins.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36264 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
CATTRACKER
Player
Member # 55

posted 04-06-2010 11:13 AM      Profile for CATTRACKER        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Only one word would describe Wall if he came back to UK for another year: FOOLISH!

--------------------

Posts: 22091 | From: Wildcat, Country | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
BlueCollarMan
Player
Member # 2114

posted 04-06-2010 11:48 AM      Profile for BlueCollarMan   Email BlueCollarMan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Or Joakim Noah-ish. Neither one is good. [Wink]

Fred

Posts: 6815 | From: The Best College Sports Town in America . . .ha, ha. | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
WildcatFanatic
Player
Member # 2932

posted 04-06-2010 12:01 PM      Profile for WildcatFanatic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I respectfully disagree. If he does come back I hope you call him a fool to his face. Maybe you should call Patrick Patterson a fool too? There is nothing wrong with getting an education and enjoying your youth while you have it.
Posts: 1531 | From: Lexington, Ky | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-06-2010 12:08 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That could possibly be the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life. John Wall just needs to look at two words to make the right decision:

DeShaun Butler

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11534 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
casedog
Player
Member # 1436

posted 04-06-2010 12:12 PM      Profile for casedog        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He can enjoy his education after he's completed a guaranteed contract for $12 million over 3 years.
Posts: 4023 | From: lexington | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
WildcatFanatic
Player
Member # 2932

posted 04-06-2010 12:28 PM      Profile for WildcatFanatic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by casedog:
He can enjoy his education after he's completed a guaranteed contract for $12 million over 3 years.

Well personally I think anyone that would pay him that much would be crazy. But I understand why John Wall is saying it's a really tough decision whether to leave or not. I would respect his decision either way.
casedog
Player
Member # 1436

posted 04-06-2010 12:37 PM      Profile for casedog        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The NBA rookie salary structure for the first round is pretty rigid. If he's selected first overall, that's about what he would be paid, no negotiation.

I would love to see John Wall play basketball for UK again. I enjoyed watching just about every moment he was on the court. However, if he goes at worst he is going to set his family up financially for life. If he comes back he could lose everything if he's injured.

bigbluerev
Player
Member # 1633

posted 04-06-2010 12:43 PM      Profile for bigbluerev     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
That could possibly be the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life. John Wall just needs to look at two words to make the right decision:

DeShaun Butler

I totally 100% disagree with this argument. The number of career ending injuries suffered by college athletes is miniscule.

Consider for a moment that DeShaun Butler was just as likely, if not moreso to get injured in his first NBA game, or maybe even earlier, such as in the preseason. Lets assume that injury was of the same seriousness. Now, in that scenario what would Deshaun Butler have gained and what would he have lost? He would have gained some sum of money, a large sum of money to be correct. He would have lost his NBA career. Now lets assume that DeShaun Butler had taken out insurance on his career, like Patrick Patterson did. With the injury he incurred in his last game what would he have gained and what would he have lost. He would have gained some sum of money, a large sum of money to be correct. He would have lost his NBA career.

Either way thye player loses their NBA career. Either way they receive a large sum of money. The other thing to be lost by some of these players, as mentioned by Wildcat Fanatic is his youth and the enjoyment thereof.

I'm not saying that players should not be allowed to make the decision to leave early but it bothers me a great deal to hear someone say that choosing a path other than grabbing the most money you can grab is foolish. There are scores of examples of people in all manner of fields, sports and otherwise that have made similar decisions and are very happy having done so. John Wall has every right to go on to the NBA and he has every right to decide that can wait. He is not a fool for choosing either one.

--------------------
Personal Responsibility - stop looking to the government or anyone else to take care of you. www.GodMakesSense.com www.RefreshingRain.com

Posts: 1806 | From: Cold Spring, KY | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-06-2010 12:49 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
bigbluerev,

You are making a huge assumption though. That assumption being that the player can afford to pay for a large insurance policy.

My guess is the NCAA puts limits on the amount of insurance you can take out (I'm not positive, but I think that is the case) and my guess it is a lot less than John Wall could be potentially worth and second and the most important is you are assuming that John Wall or any said athlete can afford such policy. My guess is the premium on those policies are somewhere between $10,000 and $25,000 to take out.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

casedog
Player
Member # 1436

posted 04-06-2010 12:50 PM      Profile for casedog        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
BBR,

You are right. We are assuming that it is John Wall's dream to play in the NBA. Not knowing John Wall personally, I certainly can't speak to what is in his heart.

You remind me of the example of that DB from Florida State who delayed the NFL to accept a Rhodes Scholarship. Clearly a case of someone following something they love rather than just pursue a pile of cash.

However, if it is John Wall's dream to play in the NBA, then there is no better time to do so than when you are presumed to be the number one pick. Which for John Wall, is now.

bigbluerev
Player
Member # 1633

posted 04-06-2010 12:58 PM      Profile for bigbluerev     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
My guess is the premium on those policies are somewhere between $10,000 and $25,000 to take out.

Why would you guess that? I certainly do not have data to back me up but I would be surprised, based on the small number of such occurences of a career ending injury, that the premium would be anywhere near that amount. In addition I am pretty sure I read recently that the NCAA allows for financial assistance for such a policy.

[ 04-06-2010, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: bigbluerev ]

--------------------
Personal Responsibility - stop looking to the government or anyone else to take care of you. www.GodMakesSense.com www.RefreshingRain.com

CATTRACKER
Player
Member # 55

posted 04-06-2010 01:08 PM      Profile for CATTRACKER        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wonder if Lebron James missed his 'youth' by not attending college at all. I'd say he lives with the regret.

From wiki:
'At just 18, he was selected with the number one pick in the 2003 NBA Draft by the Cavaliers and signed a US$90 million shoe contract with Nike before his professional debut.

Current salary: $15,779,912 a year'

--------------------

lumafia
Player
Member # 3118

posted 04-06-2010 01:09 PM      Profile for lumafia        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bigbluerev:
quote:
My guess is the premium on those policies are somewhere between $10,000 and $25,000 to take out.

Why would you guess that? I certainly do not have data to back me up but I would be surprised, based on the small number of such occurences of a career ending injury, that the premium would be anywhere near that amount. In addition I am pretty sure I read recently that the NCAA allows for financial assistance for such a policy.
You're still assuming the kid, or his parents, can afford such a policy.

The point is, it doesn't get any better than the #1 overrall pick. If he was a 10-20ish pick, one could argue that he could play himself into an overrall pick.

Also, with the lockout looming, there is a pretty good chance that the money the kids get this year will be twice as much as what kids will get over the next 10-12 years.

Posts: 487 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
casedog
Player
Member # 1436

posted 04-06-2010 01:16 PM      Profile for casedog        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You are absolutely right.

The NBA is poised to blow up it's current salary structure. NBA teams are NOT doing well, and owners have both the desire and the leverage to get signifigant concessions in the next round of bargaining.

CATTRACKER
Player
Member # 55

posted 04-06-2010 01:49 PM      Profile for CATTRACKER        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And don't forget the ENDORSEMENTS of a player like Wall. They'll probably swamp his actual NBA salary.

Believe me, I'd love to have him and Cousins, along with PPat back for another year....but these kids would be CRAZY(is that a better word??) to not go for this kind of money RIGHT NOW! If I was Wall, I probably wouldn't even ride in a car right now due to the possibility of an 'accident'.

Once he puts his name on that dotted line, he can go buy him a big HARLEY if he wants to and ride off into the sunset with both saddle bags stuffed with $100 bills--and that's only the tip of the iceberg for him. [Wink]

--------------------

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-06-2010 02:02 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CATTRACKER:
Once he puts his name on that dotted line, he can go buy him a big HARLEY if he wants to and ride off into the sunset with both saddle bags stuffed with $100 bills--and that's only the tip of the iceberg for him. [Wink]

His contract probably will not allow him to do that since Jay Williams had his career ended in a bike accident. [Wink]

--------------------

redbone

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-06-2010 02:11 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's too bad, too. I'd rather see Williams on the court than in the booth making his ridiculous comments. He's a terrible analyst.
Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
CATTRACKER
Player
Member # 55

posted 04-06-2010 02:36 PM      Profile for CATTRACKER        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Metaphorically speaking anyway, Trey. [Wink]

--------------------

bigbluerev
Player
Member # 1633

posted 04-06-2010 02:45 PM      Profile for bigbluerev     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My assumptions are irrelevant. My point is that it is not foolish for someone to make their decision based on something other than grabbing as much money as you can as soon as you can.

--------------------

viperz
Player
Member # 289

posted 04-06-2010 02:55 PM      Profile for viperz     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
My assumptions are irrelevant. My point is that it is not foolish for someone to make their decision based on something other than grabbing as much money as you can as soon as you can.

That seems a bit naive. That's like saying that it wouldn't be foolish to burn a winning lottery ticket.
Posts: 4621 | From: Tampa, Florida | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
bigbluerev
Player
Member # 1633

posted 04-06-2010 03:06 PM      Profile for bigbluerev     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
That seems a bit naive.
What is Naive about it?

Could you be making more money if you had made different choices? For example gone further in school and delayed getting married or having children or even completely foregone marriage and children. Or maybe even more simply worked more hours or a second job. Are any of you doing a job that pays less but you enjoy more? If so, you made your choices based on something other than just money.

John Wall has every right to choose to go on to the NBA this year. He would not be a fool if he did so. He also has every right to decide to postpone that decision for something else he wants. He would not be a fool for doing that either.

There are two points that I put forth 1) Making a choice based on something other than just money is not foolish and 2) the career ending injury argumnet is greatly over-exagerrated.

--------------------

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-06-2010 03:16 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The NCAA offers insurance policies against career-ending injuries that pay $5 million dollars for a premium of roughly $18,000 per year.

Many elite prospects supplement that with private insurance to go up to 20 or 25 million in coverage, but the premiums are extra steep (I think a comparable $5 million dollar policy from a private insurer costs between $25,000 and $30,000 per year).

So, it ain't cheap. I suspect that banks might be willing to float a loan against such a policy, however, given the certainty of payback either way!

[ 04-06-2010, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13595 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
WildcatFanatic
Player
Member # 2932

posted 04-06-2010 08:15 PM      Profile for WildcatFanatic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
That seems a bit naive.
What is Naive about it?

Could you be making more money if you had made different choices? For example gone further in school and delayed getting married or having children or even completely foregone marriage and children. Or maybe even more simply worked more hours or a second job. Are any of you doing a job that pays less but you enjoy more? If so, you made your choices based on something other than just money.

John Wall has every right to choose to go on to the NBA this year. He would not be a fool if he did so. He also has every right to decide to postpone that decision for something else he wants. He would not be a fool for doing that either.

There are two points that I put forth 1) Making a choice based on something other than just money is not foolish and 2) the career ending injury argumnet is greatly over-exagerrated.

Great post bigbluerev. I agree 100%. I don't think John Wall had any idea how much he would enjoy continuing his education, playing basketball for UK and simply enjoying the latter days of his youth.
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-06-2010 08:50 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How many people here have quit a job to take another job for substantially less money? I did, and the older I get, the less I worry about money. Money isn't everything. Not even close.

What would Wall do with $10million dollars if he had it tomorrow? He wouldn't know what to do with it.

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-06-2010 08:54 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by viperz:
quote:

That seems a bit naive. That's like saying that it wouldn't be foolish to burn a winning lottery ticket.
I'd say it's more like waiting a year to cash in a winning lottery ticket. Do you really believe Wall wouldn't be in the same shape if he stays at UK for another year?
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 04-07-2010 06:19 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulCat:
quote:
Originally posted by viperz:
quote:

I'd say it's more like waiting a year to cash in a winning lottery ticket. Do you really believe Wall wouldn't be in the same shape if he stays at UK for another year?
If a player is projected as the top pick in the draft, please explain how that player can improve his position by playing another year in college? There is nowhere to go but down or risk injury.
Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-07-2010 06:24 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In what area would he go "down"? Why can't he stay the same? Is Wall suddenly gonna lose his skill before next season?

[ 04-07-2010, 06:26 AM: Message edited by: PaulCat ]

casedog
Player
Member # 1436

posted 04-07-2010 07:25 AM      Profile for casedog        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You never know what can happen. Jo Noah was projected to go 1-3 his junior year, but dropped to the latter half of the lottery.
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 04-07-2010 01:32 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
bbr:\
[QUOTE The other thing to be lost by some of these players, as mentioned by Wildcat Fanatic is his youth and the enjoyment thereof. [/QUOTE]

Happiness is the pursuit of your dreams. If that is money and fame, an NCAA championship, a teacher, or simply being able to provide for your family..... it doesn't matter.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-07-2010 02:13 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good point MM, it's the satisfaction in living in a country where you have right to better yourself without having to be told what to do and how to do it. It's called individuals freedom of choice.!

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
prophet
Player
Member # 2089

posted 04-07-2010 04:20 PM      Profile for prophet   Email prophet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I seriously doubt that the writer is African-American and the child of a single-mom (father died at early age for John) who is seriously ill. As the playwright so succinctly stated:

quote:
“It is easy when we are in prosperity to give advice to the afflicted.”

--------------------
"The principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 7875 | From: Boquete, Panama | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com