TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Why does Cal continue to play Askew?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why does Cal continue to play Askew?
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-26-2021 09:13 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I’m sorry but the kid being on the court is just a waste of minutes. He provides nothing to the team in my opinion. Give those minutes to someone else. Fletcher/Ware/hell even a walk on.

Askew is a mid major talent at best. He should be playing for Eastern Kentucky.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-26-2021 09:29 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'd say when/if Clarke gets healthy, Askew will see his minutes diminish!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123991 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-26-2021 10:00 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Clarke, Mintz and either Allen or Boston would be our best three perimeter players.

But, honestly, it doesn't matter any more. This was our chance to turn it around, and we fell flat again.

Never have I seen a UK team with so much promise fail so miserably. Never. Even under Clyde.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 01-26-2021 10:12 PM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree, Trey. He hustles, but he brings NOTHING to the team offensively or defensively. He’s not SEC caliber and it has cost us big time. Of course, it’s actually on Cal for playing him. This year is an anomaly and I hope there are no repeats in the near future. Cal has messed up several times with end game lineups this year and this game was no exception. No way we should lose by 11 when we’re up 2 with the ball twice. I was screaming at the TV when he put Askew in for the last 4 minutes. Terrible coaching this year.

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-26-2021 10:48 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Askew and Boston are players who would be playing about 10 minutes a game for any other power-5 program. But if Cal is gonna be stuck with almost all new players every year then he really has no choice but to play them. It's just the nature of Cal's system. Askew is a 4-year player, but I'll be shocked if he's here for three years.
Posts: 10348 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
cadcatfan
Player
Member # 3035

posted 01-27-2021 09:44 AM      Profile for cadcatfan   Email cadcatfan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trey Ball:
Askew is a mid-major talent at best. He should be playing for Eastern Kentucky.

As good as EKU is doing this year, we don't need him! I'm thinking it's probably a good thing that UK didn't have to play EKU this year...
Posts: 156 | From: Richmond, KY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-27-2021 12:19 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Askew has not scored a field goal in the last three games the Cats have played. He is not UK or SEC material and should be delegated to the end of the bench and hopefully will transfer before next season. He is not now and will never be NBA talent. He hurts the team, other teams know they do not have to defend him so they can play their five on the other four Kentucky players on the floor with him.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-27-2021 12:44 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Unless we go to a big lineup (which I think is our best option), we are so short of guards that we almost have to put Askew on the floor. I guess we could go with Mintz, Allen, Boston, Brooks and Jackson, but I am still not sold that Boston has earned a starting slot.

If Clarke gets back and shakes off the rust, then we can use Askew more "surgically". He will still have to play to spell our starting guards.

I would like to see us start Jackson, Brooks, Allen, Mintz, and Clarke. Bring Sarr and Ware in for the bigs when needed, and bring Boston and Askew in for the guards.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-27-2021 12:56 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Askew played 23 minutes with 1 board, 2 points and 2 assists. OucH!!!! The stat that really hurt was our fouling (25) which Bama took advantage of making 24-28 free throws to our 15 made free throws.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-27-2021 02:01 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This was the first time in 32 years that Bama has swept us during the 2 game series.

[ 01-28-2021, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-27-2021 03:20 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And just do I am clear. I’m not blaming Askew. The kid is giving 100% effort during the minutes he is on the court. That is all he can do.

Cal just should not be putting him out on the court.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-27-2021 07:57 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal is desperate! For whatever reason he hasn't let Fletcher get off the bench since he came back. Yet he plays someone like Askew who should still be playing in high school. Cal should never have let him come a year early. Did he get desperate for a PG? Askew was rated at #38. He wanted Roach who was #24 or Cooper who was #27. That seems to be what happens lately, he can't get the kids he wants so he takes what he can get. This whole situation is caused by the one and done mentality of Cal. It works fine when he gets the top kids he wants but when he doesn't it causes a vacancy like we have this year. He had to get a transfer in Mintz and a kid who needs to be in high school. Cal cut his own throat by pushing thwe one and done too much and not building much experience for the long run. I feel sorry for no one but the BBN.
Posts: 14176 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 01-27-2021 10:31 PM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal is now saying that Askew’s problems are “mental.” He’s thinking too much. No, Cal, his problem is he doesn’t have the skills to compete in the SEC. Good grief!

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-28-2021 10:19 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bama, Fletcher would not help us. We have PLENTY of forwards, just no quality guards.

I wouldn't play Fletcher in front of Sarr, Jackson, Brooks or Toppin. Just a matter of a crowded frontcourt.

We are desperately short of guards. Mintz is steady, Askew is trying. Allen is being poorly utilized. Good thing Boston is waking up. We really need Clarke back in the lineup for any hope of improvement.

--------------------
Tiptree

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-28-2021 01:06 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Does anyone really know whether Fletcher could help or not? He won't even see the floor this year.
ALA_KAT2
Player
Member # 1559

posted 01-28-2021 10:54 PM      Profile for ALA_KAT2   Email ALA_KAT2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
EnterpriseCat said: “Cal is now saying that Askew’s problems are “mental.” He’s thinking too much. No, Cal, his problem is he doesn’t have the skills to compete in the SEC. Good grief!”

--------------------
I think Askew’s mental problem, if he has one, is caused by Cal’s coaching. Obviously, Askew does not have the ability as a reclassify freshman to lead this team a point guard.

[ 01-28-2021, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: ALA_KAT2 ]

--------------------
Adair CHS 1966/USAF/WKU/AT&T

GO BIG BLUE!

Posts: 4046 | From: Louisville, KY | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-29-2021 01:35 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
............and Fletcher will NEVER put a foot on the floor for UK. Whatever happened, he might as well go ahead and transfer now.
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-04-2021 07:28 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Askew plays 32 minutes and Allen doesn't see the floor in the second half. His excuse is that he found a unit that was producing in the second half and he "ran with the guys that were playing well."

I hope at the end of this season either Cal or Allen is gone, because Allen deserves better.

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 02-04-2021 08:17 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulCat:
Askew plays 32 minutes and Allen doesn't see the floor in the second half. His excuse is that he found a unit that was producing in the second half and he "ran with the guys that were playing well."

I hope at the end of this season either Cal or Allen is gone, because Allen deserves better.

He also said that “Missouri was going right at Allen”. Allen was on the floor for 7 minutes Cal. He is absolutely delusional. Missouri was not driving around Allen for layup after layup in the first half. Cal may want to watch some tape.

He obviously just does not like Allen. Fine, just come out and say it. It’s no coincidence that Allen’s best game occurred when Cal was kicked at MSU. Bruiser Flint and Tony Barbee are terrible coaches, but they were smart enough to see that UK was a better team with Allen on the floor. Cal refuses to see that. Yes Allen is not a great defender, but no one on this team is a great on ball defender so he fits right in.

--------------------

redbone

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-04-2021 09:12 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Askew hardly ever looks to pass the ball to Allen. It seems like Cal tells Allen to shoot or he's coming out, so Allen is now taking shots that aren't suited to him. I don't think he's a great catch-and-shoot shooter like Monk and Murray were, but he's a great shooter when he squares up and has an open look. Cal needs to run plays for Allen, not expect him to be a Monk or Murray. Set some friggin' screens once in a while!!! This team never sets screens - everything is one-on-one and everyone else get out of the way. This is a terribly-coached offense.
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-04-2021 02:10 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This has developed into a P*** poor excuse for a team, from the coach right on down to the ast player on the bench.

You can't tell me that Cal and Askew don't have a bro love affair going on. Why? Because Cal know he missed getting one of the 2 or 3 PG's coming out of high school and had to settle for Askew, who should still be in high school.

Askew has a problem with Allen being on the floor and taking PT from him. He must think he is the star of this team and when Allen had that great game it was taking away from his stardom. His facial attitude is one that a "star of the team"might have. He has an attitude and Cal is afraid not to play him 30 minutes.

How long was Fletcher on the floor when he finally came back? One play for less than a minute. Cal is starting to have a "KING" attitude with some of these players.

He's lucky he has 2 big guys, a forward and a guard already to play next season because I'm not sure who on this team will return except for Askew.

MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 02-04-2021 02:32 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trey Ball:
quote:
Originally posted by PaulCat:

He also said that “Missouri was going right at Allen”. Allen was on the floor for 7 minutes Cal. He is absolutely delusional. Missouri was not driving around Allen for layup after layup in the first half. Cal may want to watch some tape.

He obviously just does not like Allen. Fine, just come out and say it. It’s no coincidence that Allen’s best game occurred when Cal was kicked at MSU. Bruiser Flint and Tony Barbee are terrible coaches, but they were smart enough to see that UK was a better team with Allen on the floor. Cal refuses to see that. Yes Allen is not a great defender, but no one on this team is a great on ball defender so he fits right in.

Trey you keep Cal and UNC will take Allen in a heart beat. We need more shooters !!! [Smile]

MEL

Posts: 2795 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com