TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » New Draft Plan

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Draft Plan
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-12-2016 09:18 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This new draft plan of allowing the kids to enter the draft, do the combine and try out for individual teams, and then decide whether to stay in the draft or come back to school by 25 May is going to cause some kids to stay in the draft that shouldn't and then not get drafted because so many of them are staying that they can not all get drafted.

"""Isaiah Briscoe, Tyler Ulis and Marcus Lee are in different situations. Briscoe and Ulis are considered second-round picks by DraftExpress.com, and Lee is ranked just outside the cutoff for the second round.

UK Coach John Calipari acknowledged last month that “just about every player on your team should declare for the draft” to get a sense of their stock from NBA personnel. Briscoe, Ulis and Lee will surely do just that.

And once a player gets a taste of NBA life — a final destination for anyone who bothers to declare — it might be tough to turn back, especially for someone like Briscoe, who made it clear when he came to Kentucky that he hoped to be a “one-and-done” talent.

Givony envisions scenarios where players who have always dreamed of playing in the NBA get involved with the process, and — instead of feeling like they have to be guaranteed first-round status — instead become “comfortable” with the notion of simply being on a team and graduating to professional basketball.

“I don’t think the NCAA really thought this thing through,” Givony said. “They said they think it’ll cause guys to return to school. I think it’s going to have the opposite effect. I think the floodgates are going to open. Once you unleash guys and let them into workouts, and agents and training and all of that stuff, I think it’s a slippery slope.

“And I don’t see a lot of guys coming back after that.”"""

Posts: 14172 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 02-12-2016 10:20 AM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is a tough issue. The NCAA gets criticized last time for shorting up the decision making because they are not allowing players to make "informed" decisions, and now this. I am not a fan of the NCAA, but in this situation, which is largely controlled by the NBA, the NCAA cannot win. However, I would have to say that if a kid makes a bad decision based on having all the information, that is on him. If a kid makes a bad decision without all the information, then.....

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2259 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-12-2016 10:46 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
With the talented class of next years freshmen who ever stays is going to find it hard to get minutes. This class is rated number one in the country so it's going to get many minutes to most all the players that are staying from this years team.

1.DeAaron Fox 6'4" PG National Ranking Pos.1
2.Malik Monk 6'4" SG National Ranking Pos. 1
3.Edrice Adebayo 6'9" PF National Ranking Pos.3
4.Wenren Gabriel 6'9" PF National Ranking Pos 3
5.Sascha Killeya-Jones 6'10" PF Ranking Pos 8

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 02-12-2016 10:51 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Both Gabriel and Adebayo are ranked number 3 for power forwards? Are they 'tied for third', or is that from two different services?

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-12-2016 12:33 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Givony is reading that all wrong. What's supposed to happen is these kids will go to the combine, see first hand that they aren't ready, hear first hand from NBA execs that they are'nt ready, then return to school. If they stay in the draft just because of the lifestyle, while hearing that they're not ready - that's on them and their parents for not paying attention.
Posts: 10347 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-12-2016 12:40 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
TT, Here is a list of the top 5 power forwards in the class and we have 3 of them per this article.

Link

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 02-12-2016 01:51 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow.

Add in Wynard, and probably Lee, and we have a starting TEAM of power forwards!

[Smile]

Next year really looks to be amazing. Wynard, Humphries, Lee, and Willis will return, along with the uber-talented freshmen big men.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that only Murray will declare next year of our guards, leaving Ullis, Briscoe, Matthews, and Mulder coming back to mix with the new, uber-talented guards.

I really, really like our chances next year.

[ 02-12-2016, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-12-2016 03:54 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think with this group of power forwards there is enough diversity that they could play one at center and one at the small forward if needed.

--------------------

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-12-2016 04:26 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm betting that the front line won't be designated by position. They'll all be classified as front line players and we might see any of the three at one time. I think that Murray, Skal, Ulis and Briscoe will all go along with Poythress. Five out and five new in. Eight will stay making a total of 13. If we get Bolden at the last minute Floreal will go off scholarship.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-23-2016 10:33 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is a awesome bunch of talent and can see that team being very special right from the get go.

--------------------

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-24-2016 04:42 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just saw another NBA draft site that has Skal dropped down to number 12 so some still have him as a first rounder and I too think he is gone regardless.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-24-2016 09:33 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Skal has little choice imo as he can't take the chance of staying and not improving enough to catch the eye of the NBA scouts. He has only one way to go if he stays and that is down. I just hope the NBA scouts will want to draft him knowing he does have potential and they have the facilities and coachs to work with him both in the training facilities and on the court.

--------------------

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-24-2016 12:28 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It would really help the roster for next year if the five I mentioned above decide to leave. But outside of Poythress and Murray the others have some baggage that may keep them at UK. Briscoe is a great driver but his shot, from anywhere, is not good. I don't know if staying another year would help it or not. Sometimes you either have it or you don't. Everyone knows what Skal's problem is. He has just not lived up to what he was supposed to be all about. Ulis' size is his only drawback. I hope they all can overcome their shortfalls in the next month to make them more desirable.
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 02-24-2016 01:25 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think you can paint Ulis gone. Somebody in the NBA is surely smart enough to draft him. IMO, he's the best point guard in the NCAA.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36271 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
uncSUCKS
Player
Member # 2148

posted 02-24-2016 01:36 PM      Profile for uncSUCKS   Email uncSUCKS   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ulis will not be back next year. No way he could improve his draft position.
Murray is an early first round pick.
Skal will go end of first round.

Monk, Fox, Hawk & Briscoe at guards.
I think Bam Bam will be the best of our freshmen class and we will be loaded in the frontcourt

--------------------
"God is great, beer is good.....and people are crazy!"

Posts: 3241 | From: stuck in the land of the tarhole ! | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com