TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Jorts will be a big part of next years team.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jorts will be a big part of next years team.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-04-2010 01:55 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jorts (Josh Harrellson) is slated to do what Orton did this past season and that is to give Kanter some rest and hopefully some offense during the time he's in the game.

You know whose position became a great deal more important in the last few weeks? Yep thats right, the man they (we) call Jorts has taken on added importance for the 2011 season. Dont believe me? Look at the roster…as of now, there are 9 scholarship players on the 2011 roster and only one of them classifies as a “big man.” Enes Kanter is the #3 prospect in America, but he could have foul trouble, might occasionally get tired and could even potentially have some eligibility issues when the season starts. Terrence Jones and/or Marcus Thornton are in the pipeline, but neither is a true center and both will have the same issues of fouls and stamina that we will see from Kanter. What does that mean? It means we get to see more Jorts.

Last season was never a time that Josh Harrellson was going to get a lot of minutes. He had two top 20 talents ahead of him at center and two more experienced players ahead of him at Power Forward. That basically mean that he only saw rare duty in serious foul situations or at the end of games. He never truly got a chance to showcase his outside shooting and when he did play, he always seemed a step slow. Starting next year however, UK will need him to play and play well. His shooting will open up things from outside and his ability to take up space down low will be a must as he shares the position with Enes. UK simply wont have the depth for Jorts not to play and he HAS to take his game to another level.

When Calipari came in, he had two big men on the roster, one of which he could keep. The choices were Josh “Jorts” Harrellson and Matt “Beast” Pilgrim. In part because he liked the way he played and in part because of off the court issues, Calipari chose Jorts as the one he wanted to stay. Last year that decision didnt mean a great deal either way, as Patterson/Stevenson/Orton and Cousins all held down the positions that Jorts would have occupied. That is not the case next year. No matter what the final roster looks like, Josh Harrellson will have to be a meaningful part of it. He is getting in shape and getting ready to produce next year. Good thing, because its time for him to step up to the next level and turn the UK Erruption Zone into a Sea of Denim.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cat Fan In The Mill
Player
Member # 2756

posted 05-04-2010 02:39 PM      Profile for Cat Fan In The Mill        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No offense, but I would rather have had Pilgrim coming back this season to team up with Kanter instead of Josh. JMO

--------------------
"On, On, U of K....We are right for the fight today......"

Posts: 1341 | From: Northern Kentucky | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 05-04-2010 02:58 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Count me as foolish, perhaps, but I think Josh will do fine offensively next year in the DDMO. It is on the defensive side that he has struggled the most, and where he needs to improve significantly to see the floor for extended minutes.

Should we not land any other big men, and if Josh doesn't prove his mettle on the defensive side, we will likely see a lot of "Enes and the Four Dwarfs" next year...

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13595 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 05-04-2010 05:24 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Harrelson will be ready and do a great job for us next year, might even be the starting 5 man at the beginning of the season. He has an outside 3 point shot that our big men did not have this season.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cat Fan In The Mill
Player
Member # 2756

posted 05-05-2010 02:06 PM      Profile for Cat Fan In The Mill        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tiptree:
Count me as foolish, perhaps, but I think Josh will do fine offensively next year in the DDMO. It is on the defensive side that he has struggled the most, and where he needs to improve significantly to see the floor for extended minutes.

Should we not land any other big men, and if Josh doesn't prove his mettle on the defensive side, we will likely see a lot of "Enes and the Four Dwarfs" next year...

I hope I am wrong and that Harrellson does a whale of a job. I guess I expected bigger things from him when he got here.

By Josh playing well, it can only make the team that much better.

--------------------
"On, On, U of K....We are right for the fight today......"

Posts: 1341 | From: Northern Kentucky | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
lumafia
Player
Member # 3118

posted 05-05-2010 04:23 PM      Profile for lumafia        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've posted on here before that Josh could have a positive impact on the team next year. He is a cerebral player who understands the nuances of the game, has size, has a decent skill set, is always under control, never looks intimidated over overwhelmed.

I like our team with Harrelson on the floor. All of our standards are higher based on seeing "once in a decade" players like Patterson and Cousins on the floor.

Josh puts up good numbers when he gets minutes. During his soph year he had some good games against decent competition, even when he didn't get many touches.

If Harrelson can improve his outside shooting a little, and improve on defense, he could be a big suprise to many of the folks in the SEC.

Posts: 487 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
RC2CAT
Player
Member # 3154

posted 05-05-2010 04:51 PM      Profile for RC2CAT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
lumafia says it real well. Out of the box, Kanter is 30 minutes a game. So, all you really need out of Josh is 10 solid minutes in the paint. Don't really see the need for him to develop an outside game. Defend, rebound, pass inside, offensive putbacks.
Posts: 479 | From: Florida | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gunny
Player
Member # 2869

posted 05-05-2010 06:42 PM      Profile for Gunny   Email Gunny   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think we'll be getting Pilgrim back.

http://www.wkyt.com/sports/headlines/92888424.html

--------------------
USMC/Gunny

Posts: 332 | From: Elizabethtown Kentucky | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com