TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Leach has called a lot of games

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Leach has called a lot of games
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-30-2019 04:29 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If Tom Leach has figured correctly, when the Kentucky Wildcats kick off the 2019 football season Saturday at noon against the Toledo Rockets, it will be the 914th UK game he has called on the radio.

Since becoming the play-by-play voice of UK football before the 1997 season, Leach, 58, has broadcast 267 Wildcats games.

Since adding play-by-play for Kentucky men’s basketball before the 2001-02 season, the Bourbon County native has called 646 Cats’ hoops contests (not counting exhibitions).

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-30-2019 04:43 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Be interested to read what you guys think of Leach as a announcer for the Cats in football and basketball.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 08-30-2019 05:42 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For one thing he is from my home town (Paris - also Boom;s) and second he is a verrrry good announcer and a total Homer!!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 08-30-2019 06:07 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am biased, because I love football more than basketball.

When I hear Tom Leach scream: "Touchdown Kennntuckyyyy! It gets me fired me fired up. I can hear the passion in his voice.

He is better than Caywood on the football games. He is good with round ball as well, but there is no one better than Ledford to call a Kentucky basketball game.

I do think he is prepared, every game, and it shows. He doesn't stumble over the the star players for the opposing teams. That proves he has done his homework. There are probably a few of us fans that think we could call a game. You have to be ready to call the big plays and enunciate who it was that made that play. At the start of the season, there are probably players that nobody has heard of that rise up and after that game, we know who they are. But at that moment, it is his job to say some name and hope he got the pronunciation as good he could do it.

If I ever got the chance to call Kentucky games, I would be too biased and would get fired for pissing about the officiating. I wouldn't last a half. They would give me the hook.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 08-30-2019 06:14 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And yes, ukcatfannfl, Mr Leach is a fellow Bourbon County native. Blanton Collier also has ties to Paris, KY. Basil Haydon does as well.

Alvin Sims was a great basketball player at Paris. Pitino passed him over in favor of Jeff Shepard. Sims played for the Cards and torched the Cats one game, they couldn't stop him and Pitino acknowledged that he made mistake not recruiting him.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 08-31-2019 06:49 AM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think he's the best in the business. I listen to a lot of games. He tells it like it is.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9779 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 08-31-2019 10:04 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like Leach. He seems to be able to get excited without being too loud. I like that in an announcer.
Posts: 10340 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 09-01-2019 06:20 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good to see so many positive posts about Leach and I agree with every one of them.

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com