TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Kentucky Southern Hospitality   » Civil Debate - Politics and Other Hot Button Topics   » Climate change - what BS

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Climate change - what BS
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 12-19-2021 11:18 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is a quote on what Biden wants to do with the building back American bill which Democrats Manchin refuses to vote for (good for him). The clip talks about "climate change".

This climate change is a bunch of BS that the democratic party especially the far left wants to spend money on!
" Manchin has been a key holdout on the White House's "Build Back Better" plan, which aims to bolster the social safety net and fight climate change and is the cornerstone of Biden's legislative agenda. "
Here is some info on climate change that might help some understand what we (the United States) will be trying to do! I have lived in many countries overseas and none of them give a rats ass about climate change - the U.S. uses that phrase to gather money to give to their friends and (probably) receive kickbacks and appease the far left!

"The new green New Deal for America is BS compared to what the rest of the world is doing. The land area of the USA is about 2% of the Earths’ surface. So what we do here in America to address the “climate crisis” is meaningless unless the rest of the countries of the Earth are doing what we are purporting to do. Read the following carefully and ask yourself, “Are we, the citizens of the USA, being played by these stupid costly Democrat policies which will have NO EFFECT on the climate of the Earth. PS: The USA has enough coal to power plants, at the current rate of electricity needs, for the next 500 YEARS!!!!!!

Are you really surprised?

How many coal-fired power plants are there in the world today?

The EU has 468 - building 27 more... Total of 495

Turkey has 56 - building 93 more... Total 149

South Africa has 79 - building 24 more... Total 103

India has 589 - building 446 more... Total 1035

The Philippines has 19 - building 60 more... Total 79

South Korea has 58 - building 26 more... Total of 84

Japan has 90 - building 45 more... Total 135

China has 2,363 - building 1,171 more... Total = 3,534

That’s 5,615 projected coal-powered plants in just 8 countries.

USA has 15 - building 0 more...Total = 15

And Democrat politicians with their "green new deal” want to brainwash us and shut down those 15 plants in order to "save” the planet.

This is EXCELLENT!! I knew the rough idea about the number of coal plants but had not yet seen actual numbers until now.

This makes the point. Whatever the USA does or doesn’t do won’t make a Tinker’s Dam regarding CO2 unless the rest of the world, especially China and India reduce their coal-fired power plants as well. Incidentally, these countries take up less than 30% of the surface of the Earth. So with the USA and the 8 countries mentioned are they enough to affect remaining 68% of the Earths’ Atmosphere?

The whole “global warming” and “climate change” gambits by Democrats are to create a *supposedly* sound, scientific basis to justify a federal government power-grab and the passage of MORE laws to increase taxes and increased control of the privately-owned power industry and its distribution. Never forget the *main* motivation they have!

“Oh, we will SAVE the planet!!”

WAKE UP AMERICA !!!! We are being played ….. again !!!""

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 12-19-2021 12:57 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I call BS. We have fewer coal plants than India and China, for sure. But 15? What a crock!

We have 284 coal-fired plants in the United States, 181 of which are for generating electricity. Those numbers are indeed dropping (from 500 to 284, and from 333 to 181, respectively) since 2010. Here is the data:

https://www.eia.gov/electricity/annual/html/epa_04_01.html

I simply do not understand why people have to distort the truth (on BOTH sides) to support their opinion. The facts are not hard to find. I have zero respect for whomever wrote that article. Truth is important!!!

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13597 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 12-19-2021 05:16 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with u Tip - why can't we just let the facts speak. This was a repost on my part. However, the land mass of the U.S. vs the rest of the use, shows that what we r trying to do is just a "drop in the buttle" type of "do good" vs the money it cost.

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-19-2021 08:14 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Are you serious? There's only 15 coal fired plants left in the US? That can't be right! I can see the smoke stacks of 3 of them from my house. (I work at one of those 3 and I know several people who work at the other 2.) I drove by 2 others on Friday just out for a leisurely drive with the wife and oldest grand daughter! I know of 2 more within the LG&E-KU company that I work for! That would be almost half of all coal fired plants in the US!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123969 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-19-2021 08:19 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'll answer my own question There were 241 coal fired power plants in the US as of '19. I do know that they have been slowly but surely retired in KY alone. LG&E-KU have retired 3-5 plants over the last 8 years and there are plans to retire at least 2 more in the next 15! The Brown Plant in Harrodsburg (a sister plant to ours at Ghent) and Mill Creek, in Louisville are scheduled to be retired in the not too distant future!

Our units at Ghent discharge approx >8% of the total CO2 that the unit actually produces!

[ 12-19-2021, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: m hamilton ]

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-19-2021 08:24 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry Tip. I didn't even read your post. I went straight to reply. I do know that several units in KY will be retired in the next 25 years. A lot of these units are 70+years old and being replaced by Natural Gas, which at the time they began installing the Gas turbines they were originally used as peaker units for the power demand in the Summer time. Now they are used all of the time!

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-19-2021 08:29 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We currently have 4 - 525 megawatt units at Ghent and there is a great deal of talk of moth balling Units 1&2 within the next 15 years. Unit 1 will be 50 years old next year and 2 is approx 48 years old. Believe it or not some of the pieces of equip are difficult to find replacement parts for.

--------------------

clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 12-19-2021 09:39 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My wife owns considerable amount of coal mineral rights in Eastern Kentucky. I expect the value of that will increase dramatically over time. If any of you have an interest in investing in an excellent growth opportunity, you might consider doing research about long term growth potential and present day value of coal mineral. This could be helpful if you have small children who may need college money.
Posts: 845 | From: Cullman, AL, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com