TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Thiero to Arkansas.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thiero to Arkansas.
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 05-06-2024 02:08 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I sure wish we could have kept him.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/40094868/ex-kentucky-star-adou-thiero-joining-john-calipari-arkansas

Posts: 5416 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 05-06-2024 03:15 PM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This one surprises me.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2267 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 05-06-2024 05:19 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It must just be for money because Cal sure didn't seem to appreciate what he brought to the table too much. That does surprise me, but same thing with Burks. I guess it's all about the money. Jerry Jones did say he would pay UK players double what they would get somewhere else.

Oh, well. I sure wanted him to come back, or at worst end up somewhere outside of the SEC.

Posts: 5446 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 05-06-2024 08:07 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It only proves what we have been saying for several years. They weren't playing for the name on the front of the jersey. And as long as they play for Call that will be the standard. Or as he would say "THE GOLD STANDARD". Only difference is that they are now playing for "CAL UNIVERSITY". UGH! Good to get that bad taste out of my mouth. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14197 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 05-06-2024 08:45 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
IMO, almost all quality collegiate athletes playing at major university’s are no longer playing for the name on the jersey. I hate being so cynical but I believe most are in it for the money, either NIL bucks or a pro career afterwards.

The transfer portal and nil in its present form has diminished a lot of my enthusiasm for college athletics.

[ 05-06-2024, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5416 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 05-06-2024 09:50 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by handycat:
IMO, almost all quality collegiate athletes playing at major university’s are no longer playing for the name on the jersey. I hate being so cynical but I believe most are in it for the money, either NIL bucks or a pro career afterwards.

Agree 100%.

I will just add that kids have been playing for THE COACH on the sideline and not the University for the last 20 years. If you don't think so you are kidding yourself.

AAU starting changing that culture back in the mid 1990's. It started to really take hold in 1999/2000 and by 2006 it was basically a done deal.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11579 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 05-06-2024 10:03 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
..................and at the forefront of the whole show were the 1 and dones. Which we all know was fueld by those coaches who bought into it and fed the fuel to it......... of course our favorite guys. None other than the NBA and the rules they invent or don't invent. When the NBA took over, and make no mistake about that, they took over the future of BB. Now I'll get down off my soap box.
Posts: 14197 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com