TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » W#haaaattt?????

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: W#haaaattt?????
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-30-2024 10:52 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
First Brea says he is only interested in UConn and cancels visit to UK and another school. Then Mahainey commits to UConn and Brea has been dropped by UConn and he is now visiting UK. Looks like these kids have got it just where it favors them. I do today, tomorrow I don't. Nothing is sure in recruiting, even when a school is ready to sign you, because maybe tomorrow they aren't ready. [Confused]
Posts: 14186 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-30-2024 11:27 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not only are these kids adolescents, with all the poor decision-making that comes with that age, they are incentivized by ultra-short-term things.

And money. Lots and lots of money.

This own't get better until the rules change.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13629 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-30-2024 06:03 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree. This can't be the way for the permanent future. But right now I'm loving it. If Pope should be able to get Brea next..... no telling how good we'll be. He should have definitely turned a lot of heads by now. We wanted to return to the days of Tubby and Joe B. and I think that looks like what Pope is doing. He's not only got the 1 year transfers but I know he has a 2 year and a 3 year transfer now. Lets hope they don't decide to transfer again after next year [Eek!]
Posts: 14186 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 04-30-2024 06:09 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It’s the Wild Wild West! Like I said Brea and Jaxon watch out.

I thought Osobor was a lock but that clearly changed when Brandon Garrison committed without even visiting.

There is no real way to make a prediction anymore because no one knows. Not even the kids being recruited.

--------------------
RLTW!

Posts: 864 | From: Savannah Ga | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-30-2024 06:33 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bama Cat:
Lets hope they don't decide to transfer again after next year [Eek!]

This is my biggest fear. With NIL and unlimited transfers, I think kids are going to enter the portal every single year and see what offers they get. NIL should not be pay-for-play. It should simply allow a kids to use his name, image and likeness to make money (advertisements, autographs, video games, etc.).
Posts: 10349 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 04-30-2024 08:26 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Paulcat, exactly right on what NIL is supposed to be. This transfer stuff has to be controlled better. It should not be professional sports. It was supposed to just be that kids could get paid for commercials, autograph signings, appearances, etc. If it stays like it is where kids get paid 100's of thousands of dollars to play, then they should be able to pay for at least half of their tuition and not take the scholarships anymore. I hate this version of college sports.
Posts: 5444 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-30-2024 09:43 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I could be wrong but I think the NIL and the transfer portal are two different issues.

I agree that the players are using the transfer portal for NIL gain, but those two changes were created independent of one another I believe.

1. NIL came about back in 2019 when the State of California passed legislation prohibiting schools from punishing athletes who accepted endorsement money for their NIL.

2. Shortly after the NCAA told all it's institutions to come up with a plan to deal with NIL.

3. That got blown up in June or July 2020 when the Supreme Court ruled that the NCAA restrictions on NIL type of activity would face significant legal action. i.e. the Supreme Court's decision was in favor of the players not the NCAA arguing they should receive special treatment to the antitrust treatments due to their "academic mission"

4. The Transfer Portal started a year earlier in 2018 as a way to manage transfers among institutions.

5. I believe the portal was first revised to allow athletes to transfer without sitting out a year due to coaching changes since most players go to play for a coach not the University.

6. In just the last few weeks the NCAA basically made the portal open to allow a student to transfer as many times as they wish without sitting out a year as long as they are in good academic standing and on target to graduate. I believe this is the correct stance because Scholarships are year to year not a four year offer.

So all a player has to do now to transfer every year is get the grades necessary to pass enough classes as a full time student to keep them on the path to graduate.

Moral to the Story......The transfer portal is here to stay due to the NCAA rules that favor the student, which I agree they should and the NIL is here to stay because of the Supreme Court ruling and other state court rulings, which I also agree with.

That is why teams with the best coaches and teams with the most NIL funds are going to dominate. The mid majors and low major NCAA teams are going to go bye bye in my opinion. I can see them getting completely left out of NCAA competitions including, March Madness, in the future. Just like how they have been eliminated from the College Football Playoffs.

[ 04-30-2024, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11575 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com