TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » We have team!!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: We have team!!
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-27-2024 10:27 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, we now have 5 guys! Pope just signed Ortega Oweh. This was one that showed up recently and Pope must have just been waiting for him to appear in the portal. That's another big BOOM!!!!
Also we can cross off a few that we wanted.

Brea, Stajakovic, Roach, Khalifa, Pop
Isaacs, AJ Storr, Mark Mitchell, Trey Townsend

[ 04-27-2024, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: Bama Cat ]

Posts: 14186 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 04-28-2024 07:00 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rumors circulating on Osobor or Mahaney too!

[ 04-28-2024, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: WHO?UK ]

--------------------
RLTW!

Posts: 864 | From: Savannah Ga | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-28-2024 08:08 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If we get both of them Pope will have pulled off a giant coup. BOOM!!!
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-28-2024 08:09 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If we get both of them Pope will have pulled off a giant coup. BOOM!!! nReminds me of the days of Tubby and Joe B. one or two top kids and a bunch of 4 year guys to complement them.
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-29-2024 05:43 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, we've added Wake Forest's Andrew Carr to the fold late yesterday evening! He's 6'10 stretch 4 player that averaged around 13 points/game last season.

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123995 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-29-2024 09:11 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That makes 6 now. A max of 7 left to recruit. We haven't filled 13 spots with real players under Cal in a long time, At least 1 is usually left for a deserving walk-on.
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 04-29-2024 09:17 AM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bama Cat:
That makes 6 now. A max of 7 left to recruit. We haven't filled 13 spots with real players under Cal in a long time, At least 1 is usually left for a deserving walk-on.

Exactly! And Cal never worked or moved in the transfer portal this fast.

Also we are still very much in the fold for Jaxon Robinson, Osobor and Mahaney. We pick up those three we got some depth and some serious experience!

--------------------
RLTW!

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-29-2024 10:03 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hopefully this allows UK to compete and at least finish with a 0.500 record next year. I think a game or two above that would be a success. It is not like UK is getting the best players in the portal, nor did I expect them to do so, I think Oweh is the highest ranked in the mid-50's and obviously the others are "1 and done" super seniors ranked in the 70's I believe. Hopefully UK lands at least 2 more portal guys in that range or higher.

Then in year two assuming Oweh/Perry/Chandler stay and he can bring in a few high profile High School recruits and high profile portal kids......I would expect Pope has UK competing and recruiting back to a Kentucky type level.

I am going to place a future bet on Kansas to win it all. They are absolutely loaded next year. That could be the best roster that Self has ever had as a coach.

[ 04-29-2024, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11574 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-29-2024 11:03 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Trey, at last a voice of reason! I’m with you, anything above a 500 season, IMO, will be a success.

I see people on other sites predicting at least a sweet sixteen run in the tournament. When I disagreed and said I didn’t think we would make the tournament., I was called a hater.

I think I’m being realistic. I simply don’t believe we will have the players “this year” to be much more than competitive.

Long term, I believe we may have the coach UK needs. We are going to need more patience than a lot of fans are showing.

[ 04-29-2024, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5412 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-29-2024 11:14 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by handycat:
I think I’m being realistic. I simply don’t believe we will have the players “this year” to be much more than competitive.

Long term, I believe we may have the coach UK needs. We are going to need more patience than a lot of fans are showing.

Spot on post.

[ 04-29-2024, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 04-29-2024 12:37 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trey Ball:
Hopefully this allows UK to compete and at least finish with a 0.500 record next year. I think a game or two above that would be a success. It is not like UK is getting the best players in the portal, nor did I expect them to do so, I think Oweh is the highest ranked in the mid-50's and obviously the others are "1 and done" super seniors ranked in the 70's I believe. Hopefully UK lands at least 2 more portal guys in that range or higher.

Then in year two assuming Oweh/Perry/Chandler stay and he can bring in a few high profile High School recruits and high profile portal kids......I would expect Pope has UK competing and recruiting back to a Kentucky type level.

I am going to place a future bet on Kansas to win it all. They are absolutely loaded next year. That could be the best roster that Self has ever had as a coach.

This staff is not tempering expectations and neither am I.

If they land Jaxon and Osobor. Watch out! This will be a team to remember not a .500 team.

Also don’t sleep on Brea being on campus right now. He would have the green light at UK under Coach Pope’s system. Might land him on a long shot.

If those 3 happen Cal will find a way to cancel the conference games because it won’t be pretty.

Also Cal has lost JQ and possibly Wagner and he is not exactly heating up the portal.

[ 04-29-2024, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: WHO?UK ]

--------------------
RLTW!

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-29-2024 02:47 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WHO?UK:
[QUOTE]Also Cal has lost JQ and possibly Wagner and he is not exactly heating up the portal.

I don't understand what this has to do with Kentucky's roster?

Hope you are right, but what I know is this. Kentucky is going to have 4 to 5 non-conference games against elite competition and that they will not be favored to win any of them in my opinion.

UK will more than likely end up with the 7th or 8th most talented roster in the SEC. Auburn/Alabama/Tennessee/Florida/Texas A&M/Texas are clearly ahead of UK's roster. I put UK in the same group with South Carolina/Miss State/Ole Miss at the moment and I expect Arkansas to join that group when it is all said and done.

You have to be honest with yourself.....the roster as it sits right now is 2 Mid Major players and 2 mediocre players off of middle of the pack ACC and former Big 12 team, and two freshmen.

It is not a strong roster as it sits. It is roster based on defense at the moment in my opinion.

Remember Pope is the guy that I wanted at Kentucky if they chose not to go after Pitino/Donovan/Izzo. So I am fine with the roster construction.

Fans are setting themselves up for disappointment if they think this roster as is stands is an Elite roster.

I am only banking on them getting to 0.500 based upon my belief in Pope as a good X and O coach and hoping he can steal a game or two because of that.

--------------------

redbone

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-29-2024 03:15 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My hope is Pope will have UK back to this expectation in a few years:

Maheney's comment on why he chose UCONN:

"There is no tiptoeing around the fact that the program is going for it all again, and I am ready to be a part of that journey towards continued greatness. One game at a time, obviously, but the goals at UConn are set the moment you walk into the facilities. National champs."

--------------------

redbone

WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 04-29-2024 03:44 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trey Ball:
quote:
Originally posted by WHO?UK:
[QUOTE]Also Cal has lost JQ and possibly Wagner and he is not exactly heating up the portal.

I don't understand what this has to do with Kentucky's roster?

Hope you are right, but what I know is this. Kentucky is going to have 4 to 5 non-conference games against elite competition and that they will not be favored to win any of them in my opinion.

UK will more than likely end up with the 7th or 8th most talented roster in the SEC. Auburn/Alabama/Tennessee/Florida/Texas A&M/Texas are clearly ahead of UK's roster. I put UK in the same group with South Carolina/Miss State/Ole Miss at the moment and I expect Arkansas to join that group when it is all said and done.

You have to be honest with yourself.....the roster as it sits right now is 2 Mid Major players and 2 mediocre players off of middle of the pack ACC and former Big 12 team, and two freshmen.

It is not a strong roster as it sits. It is roster based on defense at the moment in my opinion.

Remember Pope is the guy that I wanted at Kentucky if they chose not to go after Pitino/Donovan/Izzo. So I am fine with the roster construction.

Fans are setting themselves up for disappointment if they think this roster as is stands is an Elite roster.

I am only banking on them getting to 0.500 based upon my belief in Pope as a good X and O coach and hoping he can steal a game or two because of that.

I completely disagree.

Oscar Tshiebwe. Said to be uncoachable by Huggins. Huggins has had some of the most thug like players in basketball. Turned out to be POY!!!! At UK not a high ranking on the Transfer Portal.

Reeves? From Northern Illinois? WHO???? And Boom.

I’m guilty of looking at the 5 stars that Cal brought in and thinking that we were going to be elite based off recruiting rankings. Cal was my guy and I drank the Kool Aid until he left.

Now that Pope is at the helm it’s a little easier to see that these recruiting rankings mean crap to an elite team.

Did anyone know Dalton Knecht before UT?
Hunter Dickinson was supposed to be a force and turns out he is just a bad teammate no one wants to play with.

It’s about finding the right pieces and I believe Coach Pope and th STAFF are doing that. We will not be 7th or 8th in the SEC next year. We are two players from being scary!

--------------------
RLTW!

ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 04-29-2024 05:26 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think above .500 is a realistic expectation, and maybe making the tournament. We could also surprise and be better. Having a veteran group is going to be good. It's just a matter of them getting used to each other and jelling as a team. I am excited to see what Pope can do with this team. It's going to be fun to watch the actual coaching that will have to take place. I can't wait.
Posts: 5443 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-29-2024 09:28 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No problem having differing opinions if we all agreed it would be a boring board. LOL.

A couple of counterpoints however:

1. Oscar was a McDonald's All-American. He was a super talented kid. Huggins was just not the right coach for him, but no one ever questioned his talent.

2. Reeves was not very good in year 1 at Kentucky. Go look at his game by game stats and I believe you will see for the most part he scored points against the mid/low majors that UK played or the bottom feeders of the SEC. Let's not even address his defense his first year as it was brutal. On offense he had no counter moves in year 1. In year 2, he became an excellent offensive Major Division 1 player, but was still a below average defender. All the advance metrics had him with a negative rating on defense. As a wing in Major Division 1 basketball you cannot have a negative rating or the opposing coaches will exploit that and most of the coaches did this past year, but no denying that Reeves was one of the best offensive players in the game as a Super Senior.

3. Dalton Knecht was one of the most sought players in the portal. So yes, he was a known product so much that he was on the NBA Draft boards prior to announcing he was coming to UT. On Hunter Dickinson, if you lived in Big 10 Country everyone knew he was not a good teammate. I believe I even stated that on TCD when UK was recruiting him. I was so glad when he chose Kansas. So I would assume most college basketball coaches knew what they were getting: Elite Talent but a headcase.

Back to Knecht. He had no offers in major D 1 when he went to college because he was only around 6 foot tall.....he then had a growth spurt ended up at Northern Colorado and dominated. Very similar to Anthony Davis and his growth spurt between his Junior and Senior year of high school. The best offer he had as a 6'1" guard was Wright State. Then he grew 10 inches and all of a sudden he is the number 1 high school player in America.

All I am saying is with the current roster, the 6 that are official, UK is hopefully a 0.500 team in my opinion. There is not a single NBA Talent level player on the roster at this time. You have 3 fifth year seniors that if they were talented enough would be in the draft this year because it is a historically weak NBA Draft Class by all accounts.

However, I am fine with fans dreaming big.................I hope to have that dream in year 2 under Pope and for sure by year 3.

At the end of the day you have to have a NBA talented roster to cut the net downs. UCONN has had that is spades the last two years and appears that they will have that again next year along with Kansas and North Carolina.

[ 04-29-2024, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------

redbone

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-29-2024 10:18 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why do0es everyone keep looking at Koby Brea? He has been gone for almost a week now? He cancelled 2 of his 3 visits (UK was one) and will only be visiting UConn. Looks like UConn will be a powerhouse again.
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-29-2024 10:21 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bama Cat:
Why do0es everyone keep looking at Koby Brea? He has been gone for almost a week now? He cancelled 2 of his 3 visits (UK was one) and will only be visiting UConn. Looks like UConn will be a powerhouse again.

I think Mahenny took his spot at UCONN. Everything I have read has said Hurley was only taking one of the two to complete his roster.

--------------------

redbone

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-30-2024 06:27 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The news was late getting around. You are right and I hope we get Brea. That would make 8 on the roster. I don't look for us to take more than 11 from the transfer pool. I seen where he wants to save 1 or 2 for just in case instances later on.
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 04-30-2024 08:22 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hope those later instances are Thiero and either Jaxon Robinson, or Kadary Richmond from Seton Hall. I would really love Thiero to come back, but it doesn't look great.
Posts: 5443 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com