TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Not to be negative

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Not to be negative
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-26-2024 10:31 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
But the portal is getting picked over. Eight of the top ten in the portal have committed.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-transfer-portal-2024-ranking-top-80-players-as-miamis-wooga-poplar-hits-the-market/

I’ve read where we have several prospects coming in this weekend, we need to sign several.

Posts: 5411 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 04-26-2024 11:25 AM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There are two big time kids supposedly locked in to come to UK now that we have Ativan Brooks III.

Also Pope is in great position with the targets he is considering tier 1 on his list. His tier 1 list is also very big to fit his system.

Once these kids enter the portal they can take as long as they want.
They also have till May 1st to enter.

Jaxon Robinson is another name that we are probably going to get but wont hear about till much later.

Just because there is a lot of movement in the Portal does not mean Coach Pope, Coach Hart and Coach Brooks are missing out. From everything I am tracking UK is sitting at 6 confirmed right now. We just don’t know all the names yet.

As Matt Jones has perfectly put it. Cal alienated a lot of the media. That, and a whole new coaching staff means that the national media and recruiting media have no clue who and what Coach Pope has locked up because those lines of communication have not been established yet.

--------------------
RLTW!

Posts: 859 | From: Savannah Ga | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
CatfanRick
Administrator
Member # 126

posted 04-26-2024 12:46 PM      Profile for CatfanRick   Email CatfanRick   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
15 years ago we started getting a players ranking, and the cumulative score for the team, shoved down our throat. I didn't much care for it then, and honestly the last 10 years have really left a bad taste in my mouth. While the portal is different due to players having college experience on their resume I still find that topic distasteful.

I would like to see Thiero and Wagner stay at UK, other than that I just want good solid basketball players that can be coached to play team basketball. Even given the final results of last season, that they played team basketball and complimented each other made them a pleasure to watch.

I think rankings build a false hope and unreal expectations. We at UK already have high expectations, so give me players who also share that same goal.

Posts: 7203 | From: Florence, Ky | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 04-26-2024 01:11 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CatfanRick:
15 years ago we started getting a players ranking, and the cumulative score for the team, shoved down our throat. I didn't much care for it then, and honestly the last 10 years have really left a bad taste in my mouth. While the portal is different due to players having college experience on their resume I still find that topic distasteful.

I would like to see Thiero and Wagner stay at UK, other than that I just want good solid basketball players that can be coached to play team basketball. Even given the final results of last season, that they played team basketball and complimented each other made them a pleasure to watch.

I think rankings build a false hope and unreal expectations. We at UK already have high expectations, so give me players who also share that same goal.

I think Coach Pope is doing exactly that. That is also why I think we will see some recruits who are ranked high pass on UK. His staff is a powerhouse for recruiting. I’m not worried one bit about talent or having the right guys.

--------------------
RLTW!

WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 04-26-2024 02:15 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Noah Boyed
Liam Mcneely
And two others at least just because of Brooks.

--------------------
RLTW!

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-26-2024 02:44 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Everyone has offered him but us. Is that the way Pope is going to sneak in and grab him? Without an offer to confuse the opposition?
Posts: 14177 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-26-2024 03:41 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bama Cat:
Everyone has offered him but us. Is that the way Pope is going to sneak in and grab him? Without an offer to confuse the opposition?

Who is 'him'?
Posts: 10348 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-26-2024 03:41 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bama, I like the way you think! 🤪🤪🤔🤔😄😄

[ 04-26-2024, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5411 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
CatfanRick
Administrator
Member # 126

posted 04-26-2024 03:42 PM      Profile for CatfanRick   Email CatfanRick   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The 2 edged sword to the portal, you can lose a player just as easy as you can get one. We had several players leave before the NIL was in effect and be better at other schools than they were at UK, and that trend is only going to amplify with the amount of money being tossed around. College football is getting close to a 3 or 4 conference "business" with all the other schools being the minor leagues to develop players for them. Unless they start making players sit out a year and go back to transfers rather than the portal college basketball will be an entirely different species in the next few years.
Posts: 7203 | From: Florence, Ky | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 04-26-2024 04:04 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

With Brooks and Hart the media has no clue who we have and have not offered. I believe it is Hart who has strong ties to Mcneely.

--------------------
RLTW!

WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 04-26-2024 04:11 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lamont Butler! Boom!

Like I said we have no clue who Brooks and Hart have in their pocket.

[ 04-26-2024, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: WHO?UK ]

--------------------
RLTW!

WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 04-26-2024 04:52 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Per Matt Jones

“If you heard the show today, I talked about how UK is approaching this weekend and their top choices. I think Carr/Osobor are two top guys they really want…the player they are going to see today, they are hoping to lock up (I don’t know for sure who it is but I am going to guess the Wash St kid).

I don’t think the Utah PG is gonna happen but it’s not bc he doesn't want to come. I think there may be another issue. Hoping that changes but unlikely. I feel good about the Oklahoma kid that was on campus

I stated on the show that there is only really one dude that Ky really wanted and they thought they could get that they haven’t yet (besides Saunders who was a family situation). That was Jeremy Roach. Kentucky’s interest got made public and Baylor came in and locked it up before UK could get the visit. That situation has led the staff to become much more deliberate and private about how they are rolling. It is probably a good awakening for Pope and staff that at Kentucky, info is going to come out unless you control it. I think you will start to see them doing that more going forward

I still feel very good about their options. The next few days are key however”

And this is why we won’t know who they are considering or contacting until we get hooks in for visits and such.

--------------------
RLTW!

WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 04-26-2024 06:17 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dan Hurley is that dude in College Basketball right now.

Just landed Mckneely and Brea.

--------------------
RLTW!

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-26-2024 06:36 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We just got Butler for our 4th signee.
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-26-2024 06:38 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We are no longer a blueblood until Pope offers enough to convince the critics. I hope he starts getting some of these guys locked up so we might move back into a blueblood position again.
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 04-26-2024 08:35 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
We are no longer a blueblood until Pope offers enough to convince the critics. I hope he starts getting some of these guys locked up so we might move back into a blueblood position again.

UCONN is the only true Blue Blood right now. Especially with the mass exodus from Duke.

--------------------
RLTW!

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-27-2024 02:43 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Agree. We got to realize Pope is chasing so many different kids he has got to strike out on a lot of them, a lot more than the number he grabs. There is just so many names out there and it's growing every day. I think we'll come out of this weekend with a couple more signees.
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 04-27-2024 08:30 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bama

For sure. Also Jaxon Robinson just entered the portal! Should see him in blue real soon. We are going to be fine.

--------------------
RLTW!

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com