TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Mark Pope press conference today 4:30

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mark Pope press conference today 4:30
ProBlue
Player
Member # 2944

posted 04-14-2024 09:11 AM      Profile for ProBlue   Email ProBlue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Coach Pope speaking live at Rupp Arena at 4:30 PM can be seen on SEC network. Lets see how many fans show up. Go Big Blue !

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-wildcats/news/kentucky-fans-invited-mark-pope-introductory-press-conference-rupp-arena/

--------------------
ProBlue

Posts: 750 | From: Bristol,Tn. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-14-2024 05:48 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you watched it, are you ready to run through a wall yet?
The one thing about Pope, he gets IT!!
Not very often do you find someone who wants to be here and LOVES THE PROGRAM as much as we do!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123983 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
CatfanRick
Administrator
Member # 126

posted 04-14-2024 05:53 PM      Profile for CatfanRick   Email CatfanRick   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I watched it and all I can say is we are in good hands. As Coach Pope said, this video is going out to all of the recruits in the nation, and the BBN stood tall.

Another thing, all those coaches who didn't take or return the call, who said no, I'm good where I'm at, and who think they have equal or better facilities than we have at Kentucky are going off to someplace private and banging their heads against something that will not move.

My guess at the crowd size is more than 12,000, maybe 15,000, maybe even more. That is a facility that only Kentucky can provide.

Posts: 7195 | From: Florence, Ky | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ProBlue
Player
Member # 2944

posted 04-14-2024 06:09 PM      Profile for ProBlue   Email ProBlue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am really pumped up after Pope's speak. He knows it's about all of us. His heart is about Kentucky winning ,not about getting freshmen into the NBA! It's about the front of the jersey .

--------------------
ProBlue

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-14-2024 06:36 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He certainly checked all the boxes. I forgot he was a Rhodes Scholar. Definitely one smart cookie.

I hope papa Shepard tells his son to stick around for one heck of an exciting season.

Love the "aggressive on offense, and mix it up on defense" line. I think he reads TCD. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13621 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
BCD
Player
Member # 2053

posted 04-14-2024 06:49 PM      Profile for BCD   Email BCD   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not even gonna lie, I teared up.

--------------------
It's me, the cat

Posts: 422 | From: Conjunction junction | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
ProBlue
Player
Member # 2944

posted 04-14-2024 06:59 PM      Profile for ProBlue   Email ProBlue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Kinda chokes you up for sure BCD . Can't hardly wait for midnight madness .

--------------------
ProBlue

CatfanRick
Administrator
Member # 126

posted 04-14-2024 07:58 PM      Profile for CatfanRick   Email CatfanRick   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tiptree:

Love the "aggressive on offense, and mix it up on defense" line. I think he reads TCD. [Big Grin]

The Maui comment went over big. The idea of 4 year players and our getting to know the kids got some attention too.

Coach gets the job, and more than that, he gets what it takes to get the job done. He had a great teacher, one of the best ever.

Posts: 7195 | From: Florence, Ky | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 04-14-2024 08:10 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am more excited for next season than I have been in a long time. Don't know what it will be win wise, but I am pumped to have our new coach.
Posts: 5438 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-14-2024 10:22 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Watched it on a cell phone at 4:30 and came home and watched it again on the recording I made on my TV.

He said the right words, he knew the Cal problem areas and made statements about the problems. He talks the good talk, now all he has to do is put those words into action, with good results.

He has a great chance to hit the portal running at full speed and pick up some winners for the program. I'm not sure how many of our roster or recruits he can retain. He seemed to say all the right words but do these kids really give a crap about understanding them. Probably want the green more than a winning season.

I think he will retain Sheppard and Perry as his two guards. What a shooting pair they would make. He may have a chance with Ugo and Burks but not sure if any of the others will even listen to what he has to say. Outside chance with DJ Wagner but the connection is gone for him.

Posts: 14157 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-15-2024 05:52 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I saw last night and again this morning that Big Z was supposed to sit down and have a talk with Pope sometime today. It was going to be his first official visit after entering the portal!

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-15-2024 09:42 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He is quite the polished politician. He dodged or gave a non-answer to most of the media questions. Not that he COULD answer some of them, both from a legal/policy standpoint and from "Hey, I just got off the bus!" standpoint, but he didn't flinch once.

He did kind of drive the "I love Kentucky" line a little to hard, but it sure resonated.

Bottom line: It will be a lot of fun to see Pope's version of Pitino-ball. I am sure he will be a good CEO of the program, hire some good staff, and be a step-up from Cal in terms of Xs and Os. It all comes down to recruiting. I hope we can field a competitive team next year, and start the building process to becoming a dominant team going forward.

For the record, I am confident that he can do just that.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Bigcatdaddy
Player
Member # 21

posted 04-15-2024 10:25 AM      Profile for Bigcatdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My favorite part was simply the part of having gratitude, and not entitlement.

The entitlement around the program the last few years really caused problems.

--------------------
It's me, the cat.

Posts: 10232 | From: Macy, Ind. | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-15-2024 11:24 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
BigCatDaddy, you are so right. And that entitlement attitude was cultivated by Cal and his emphasis on the NBA, despite all his rhetoric to the contray.

Pope, so far, is a breath of fresh air.

[ 04-15-2024, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-15-2024 12:04 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm really anxious to see him talk to the current players and recruits first. Then how he motivates the Portal and decides which ones will work well for us.
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-15-2024 06:49 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just heard that Z met with him but he is following the pied piper to Hogville. Boogie Fland is also going to the portal which leaves just Richmond and Perry the only new recruits left. Bradshaw is tx to Ohio St. I believe Burks, Sheppard and Ugo are the only ones left on the roster. Hello portal! We can probably get better kids from the portal than what was already on the team.
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-15-2024 07:11 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would've liked to see Z stay, but I don't see this as a big loss. He's not the kind of big man I would prefer.
Posts: 10342 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-15-2024 08:52 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He might not have been my first choice but I’m solidly behind coach Pope. That being said, I believe we will have a lean upcoming year and possibly a couple of more. I said from the first that we would lose most of the existing team as well as most of the incoming class. He will need time to bring in his own players.

I think any reasonable fan will give him that time. Unfortunately, I see plenty of fans on FB sites that are already starting the criticism. Then again, some of these idiots are predicting a championship next year.

[ 04-15-2024, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5400 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 04-15-2024 09:08 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What could anyone possibly be criticizing him about at this point? I am not surprised to see everyone leaving, but it will be a really good sign if he can get Thiero to stay, along with Burks, and Onyensu, and then 2 of the recruits. That would make alot of people feel a little better about his ability to recruit and sell guys on what he can do. The 3 returning players I mentioned really should all stay. I think they could thrive with Pope as the coach.
Posts: 5438 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-16-2024 06:01 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I heard last night Onyenso is hiring an agent and throwing his hat into the NBA draft!

--------------------

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-16-2024 07:27 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ukman, I probably didn’t phrase that very well when I said they were criticizing him. Actually they are criticizing the hire and some are pretty darn nasty about it. They believe we could have done much better. I disagree, I just don’t think UK has the appeal for a coaching destination as it once did.

I saw that KSR says every one has left with the exception of Burk and Sheppard. No decision from them yet. I was surprised that all three of the Bigs left. I’m curious if we will retain any of the incoming class with the exception of Travis Perry. I would be shocked if he changes his mind.

[ 04-16-2024, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5400 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com