TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » What about Mark Pope?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What about Mark Pope?
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 04-11-2024 05:43 PM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There are some reports that Mark Pope has been named as a candidate.

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-wildcats/news/mark-pope-named-a-candidate-for-kentucky-coaching-vacancy/

Thoughts?

[ 04-11-2024, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: GA Cat ]

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2252 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
BCD
Player
Member # 2053

posted 04-11-2024 07:35 PM      Profile for BCD   Email BCD   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He would be way down my list.

--------------------
It's me, the cat

Posts: 419 | From: Conjunction junction | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-11-2024 08:40 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He sure hasn't set the world on fire at his first two coaching stops.

He needs some demonstrated, sustained success before he rises to the level of interest.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13614 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-11-2024 08:56 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just read on a couple of UK sites on FB that Mitch is
“ supposedly” in talks with Bruce Pearl. Of course no links.

I don’t believe it but if that were true, I would be like Trey, I would be done. I’ve spent too much of my life actively disliking that man to be a fan of any team he leads.

These other sites are crazy with rumors, suggestions etc. Some are even suggesting Jeff Sheppard.

[ 04-11-2024, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5396 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 04-11-2024 09:08 PM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would prefer giving a guy like Mark Pope a chance before I would be in favor of going after Pearl or Miller.

I actually read somewhere that Pitino was contacted, and he was not interested but said his choice would be Mark Pope. Probably not true. I am sure it was just another rumor to get clicks.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2252 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 04-11-2024 09:39 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just read that uk is in contact with Pope and hope to have a decision made by tonight.

MEL

Posts: 2795 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 04-11-2024 09:57 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Official ... Mark Pope is the next uk coach.

MEL

Posts: 2795 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-11-2024 10:10 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not having a great feeling about this choice.

Hope he proves me wrong.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

BCD
Player
Member # 2053

posted 04-11-2024 10:16 PM      Profile for BCD   Email BCD   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well with Cal I thought anyone would be better. Guess we will find out.
Probably 10 other choices I’d have made but I’ll support and give him time.

--------------------
It's me, the cat

Posts: 419 | From: Conjunction junction | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-11-2024 10:20 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This headline pretty much reflects my reaction:

NSFW link

--------------------
Tiptree

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-11-2024 10:38 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think the coach fits the current roster. Everyone is bailing out because poor ole Cal was not appreciated. No sooner than they find out Cal is leaving and most of the players renege and decide they want to leave also. Why? I'll tell you why. Because Cal is the only one who put their NBA dreams in the #1 position. These kids (most of them) could give a rat's ass about the name on the front of the jersey. Cal made it very well known that the main reason he was here was to get the top kids and get them to the NBA. That's it. NBA or leave. No Cal. No NBA.

So we are headed down a deep rabbit hole with not many top players next year. Why waste a barrel of money on a coach that won't be perceived to be looking out for the kids route to the NBA? Pope won't cost near as much as most of the other coaches on the list. And he won't be expected to have a top 10 recruiting class.

UK saves money and sticks with family. Isn't that a direction some of us like? Give Pope a few years and who knows what he can do. Don't come to UK if all that's on your mind is the NBA. Take a look at the history and tradition of the UK BB brand before you sign on the dotted line. I hope we will be looking to build this program back up to a team who want's to win championships and let your own great play within the team concept direct your career.

Posts: 14146 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-12-2024 05:59 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How many McD's AA's were in the NCAA Final Four this year?
What about one of the best players on our roster this past season wasn't looked at to receive much playing time, he also wasn't a McDonald's All-American! Sometimes I think these lists are just nothing but media fodder and part of the hype machine!
I like Pope's energy, his enthusiasm. He was able to beat Self last season. If memory serves me right, he's also beaten Mark Few once or twice.

When we got Pitino 35 years ago, IMHO, he was an unknown commodity. He proved his coaching abilities and turned a fallen program around. We're not a fallen program, but we are in search of a different direction!

If Mark Pope is my next KY coach, then I'm all in with him!

[ 04-12-2024, 06:00 AM: Message edited by: m hamilton ]

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123974 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-12-2024 07:29 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For what evever reason, we are no longer able to hire a top tier coach.

He has an upside that has already been pointed out. But, he has zero NCAA tournament wins and I don’t believe anyone has a clue if he is able to recruit at this level. I’m not excited but will support him, as I expect most will. At least he has UK ties and I don’t think we will have to worry about scandals.

I do wonder how long that support lasts. We’re not a patient bunch. I think we have at least a couple of lean years ahead of us.

I’m still puzzled as to why no one on this site had an offer. I’m beginning to wonder if I was even given serious consideration.

[ 04-12-2024, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5396 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-12-2024 08:59 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Don't get too excited about Pope coming in "cheap".

quote:
Per Norlander, Kentucky will pay Pope an average of $5.5 million on what is a five-year contract. At that average, Pope would have been the sixth-highest-paid coach in college basketball this season, making more than Dan Hurley, Scott Drew, and Nate Oats, according to Front Office Sports.
Barnhart has to be the worst negotiator EVER.

I will rally behind Mark Pope, but honestly, $5.5 million for a guy who hasn't done jack sh*t?

[ 04-12-2024, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-12-2024 09:04 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Some positive vibes, already expressed here:

quote:
After all, isn’t Pope sort of what every Kentucky fan was asking for?

He’ll be strong in offensive and defensive execution. The Wildcats should have success with out-of-bounds plays and late-game clock management. He’ll bring a serious passion for what it means to where a jersey with Kentucky across the front. And when he goes to talk to recruits, he can share his very own experience of what it’s like to play in Rupp Arena.

--------------------
Tiptree

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-12-2024 09:56 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I haven't been this excited about UK basketball in a long time. Mark Pope will bring this program back!!!
Posts: 10338 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 04-12-2024 11:14 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm excited we have a coach, but just nervous how it will all work out. I think he is a better in game coach than Cal, although that's not hard to do. Hopefully he can somehow get a couple of recruits to stay, and go crazy in the transfer portal for next year. I think the fans will be more patient with him because he is a UK guy. I hope Ullis gets to stay on staff. He could possibly be an up and coming coaching star, and maybe a great recruiter.
Posts: 5433 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com