TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Scott Drew offered the job?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scott Drew offered the job?
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 04-09-2024 07:28 PM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lots of reports that an offer has been extended.

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2024/4/9/24125296/scott-drew-kentucky-basketball-baylor-bears-coach

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2249 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-09-2024 07:41 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He won’t be my first choice. I can’t see him bringing significant players with him or keeping many present players or recruits. Might be a while before we contend. If he is the one, I’ll be happy to be wrong, as I often am.

[ 04-09-2024, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5394 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 04-09-2024 07:48 PM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He has two top twenty five recruits in his incoming class.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-09-2024 07:59 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good, I didn’t know that. If those two come with him and a couple of transfer’s, it might not be as bleak as I thought.

[ 04-09-2024, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-09-2024 08:08 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but we lose Treyball as a fan.

Personally, I'd rather keep Treyball than hire Scott Drew.

[Razz]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13608 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 04-09-2024 08:31 PM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tiptree:
Yeah, but we lose Treyball as a fan.

Personally, I'd rather keep Treyball than hire Scott Drew.

[Razz]

Me too!!

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-09-2024 09:15 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yep. I am out if they hire him. I will still follow other UK sports but I will not follow any team led by Scott Drew/Bruce Pearl/Sean Miller..

Also, while I know he technically won a Title it was the COVID year which is discounted in my book. Other than that year he has not been successful in the NCAA Tourney.l

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11565 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-09-2024 09:46 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Has he been involved in a scandal that I'm not aware of? I know he took over the Baylor program after they had a scandal. Clue me in.
Posts: 14145 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-09-2024 09:58 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just searched the web trying to enlighten myself on the history of Scott Drew. I found out he has been to the NCAA tourney 9 of the past 10 years. He also has 1 national championship in 2021. He has been to a number of 16's and 8's. I can't find out anything on his personality. I'm just gonna have to go with him if that is who Mitch decides on. I can see by his record he hasn't been much less than Cal since he also has 1 championship. I don't think they are going to get my first choice of Donovan.
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-09-2024 10:18 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know much about Drew, but I'm willing to support him. I wouldn't think his first five years would be any worse than Cal's last five year.
Posts: 10336 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-09-2024 11:22 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
BC,

I have a little personal history with Scott and I will leave it at that. I will never support anything that he is involved with. The good news for me is I would expect it to only be a 3 to 5 year window before I can go back to cheering for the Cats. I think both Mitch and Scott will be gone within a 5 year window. The UK job will eat him alive in my opinion.

I also just happen to think that he is not a very good coach. If you think Cal just rolled the ball out and let players play then I think you are in for a treat because that is how I view his coaching but even worse.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-10-2024 07:55 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Based on the accomplishments of Drew and Cal, I sure don’t see this as a step up. Granted, he has not had the resources Cal has had at UK.

I think they are missing some obvious candidates. I have not been officially contacted. However, I did hang up on several callers saying they were with Medicare in the last few days. I suppose one of those could be Mitch trying to feel me out. Have any of you been contacted?

[ 04-10-2024, 08:04 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-10-2024 09:03 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Handy,

Yeah, they contacted me. I told them my requirements, and they just laughed.

I think it might have been the part about the cheerleaders and the hot tub. Not sure.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13608 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-10-2024 09:08 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You probably wanted too many cheerleaders in the tub with you at the same time. NCAA rules only allow three at one times. Mitch is a stickler for rules.

[ 04-10-2024, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 04-10-2024 10:54 AM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am in the same boat as Billy Donovan. Here is my official statement:

"I have not been personally contacted by the University of Kentucky regarding the head men's basketball coaching position, and I am firmly committed to my current position leading a team of engineers in engineering support to a world class sales team in the chemical industry."

Of course, no one has asked, but I drafted it just in case.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue

Bigcatdaddy
Player
Member # 21

posted 04-10-2024 11:19 AM      Profile for Bigcatdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From the Rick Barnes playbook:

I, BCD, am formally removing myself from contention for the UK basketball coaching position. I would appreciate privacy going further.

BCD

--------------------
It's me, the cat.

Posts: 10231 | From: Macy, Ind. | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
FairfieldCat
Player
Member # 2897

posted 04-10-2024 06:02 PM      Profile for FairfieldCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I didn't request any cheerleaders. Only a nurse aid to hep me into an out of the hottub
Posts: 309 | From: Cincinnati | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-10-2024 10:53 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It appe4ars the decision has been made and should be announced in the next couple of days. However, the longer they take the better chance it could be Donovan. If they could hold off until he is eliminated from the NBA playoffs he might decide to take the job. But I'm not holding my breath waiting for the announcement of a new coach. It's most likely a done deal already and we'll get the story either tomorrow or Friday. I guess I'll just have be satisfied we will have a new coach next time they hit the hardwood and maybe we won't have to endure more of Cal's CICLE JERK offense. And maybe we'll see some zone from time to time. I won't know what to think about that. Non conference Schedule will be another thing. Not sure how any of the old planned contracts will wash out or who the new coach would like to play.. When you stop and think about it, a lot will be changing. I think I can stand it.
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-11-2024 12:27 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Looks like I will be off of the basketball section of this site for the next 3 years until Scott is fired.

This hire is going as backwards as the Billy G hire. Mitch is an idiot. Here is what he is hiring.

In 21 seasons at Baylor he has missed the NCAA tournament 33% of the time. Those 14 seasons he has made it:

3 First Round losses
4 Second Round losses
2 Sweet 16's
2 Elite 8's
1 COVID Year Final Four and COVID Championship

Average of 11.6 losses per year over those 21. If we remove his first 4 seasons he is still at 10.3 losses per year. Maybe he has dominated his conference....Nope. Finished out right 1st one time...Yep, COVID year. Tied for it one other year and has been 2nd twice, 3rd three times. So in 67% of his season he has finished 4th or worse in a conference historically without a lot of depth. In 21 years he has had only 6 seasons without double digit losses and three of those he had 8 losses. So once again only the COVID year and the year before COVID did he produce a "Kentucky" type record or 9.5% of his time at Baylor.

Take away the COVID year and he has done nothing in 21 years at Baylor except be mediocre and Mitch is giving him the keys to the Kingdom? Yep, he is an upgrade. Jeez.

Plus I will say he will make Cal look like an X and O Savant. He can't coach his way out of a brown paper bag. He is the definition of rolling the ball out and let his players play.

Can't believe they are going to make this mistake. The Kentucky Kingdom has officially fallen hiring this joker.

I hope it turns out better for UK than I anticipate, but I will not be around to watch it. More time to work in the winter I guess for me.

[ 04-11-2024, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------

redbone

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-11-2024 12:33 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You're safe, Trey. Drew is off the table! The person/persons you should probably thank are Drew's teenagers!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123973 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-11-2024 01:43 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Now with a second tier of coaches to choose from we are really in the realm of going down that road we knew so well some years ago........Billy G. Avenue.
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 04-11-2024 01:50 PM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am not really against going down the second tier avenue. I don't think that necessarily means we get another Billy G. Mitch just needs to be careful to not make that mistake again.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com