TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » What do we want in a new coach?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What do we want in a new coach?
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-08-2024 09:42 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
While we are busy tossing out names for the next coach, what exactly do we expect from our new coach?

Here are my answers:

1. Unassailable personal character.
2. Surround himself with top-notch assistant coaches
3. Focus on building a dynastic program with veteran players that will again dominate the SEC and be in the discussion for NCAA championships year-in and year-out.
4. Play a modern, NBA-style offense.
5. Teach sound, fundamental basketball skills instead of "la familia" BS
5. Focus on effort and attitude, defense and rebounding.
6. Recruit the best nationwide (worldwide?), but always have a place for some Kentucky boys.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13601 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-08-2024 10:08 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wouldn’t disagree with any thing on that list.
Posts: 5386 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-08-2024 11:06 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So basically you want Cal except for points number 2 and the veteran part of number 3. I mean even two of the last 3 years UK was a trendy pick by the talking heads to win the championship even though they got bounced during the 1st round so they were in the "discussion".

I also don't think UK will ever dominate the SEC again. The conference is too good now with a lot of good coaches, including Cal at Arkansas.

Before this year I would have also said 4, but he changed his offense to space the floor this year.

So what coaches meet most of those criteria? I can only think of 3 and in no order:

Donovan/Izzo and maybe Hurley.

I am also not 100% sold on Hurley quite yet. I think he captured lighting in a bottle last year and he has a dominant team this year, but can that continue? It might, he has a huge recruiting advantage in the Upper East Coast.

I would include Pitino, but your #1 knocks him out of contention for your list.

[ 04-08-2024, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11560 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-08-2024 11:10 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How crazy would this be....................Mitch calls Coach K. [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-08-2024 11:23 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Let's not forget that when Adolph Rupp was relieved of his duties in Lexington, he accepted the head coaching job at..... wait for it..... Duke! [Eek!]
Posts: 10330 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bigcatdaddy
Player
Member # 21

posted 04-08-2024 11:25 AM      Profile for Bigcatdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think anyone could fill all those conditions.

It will be interesting to see what UK does. Sadly I don't have much faith in Mitch.

--------------------
It's me, the cat.

Posts: 10228 | From: Macy, Ind. | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-08-2024 11:28 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Unconventional Candidates that I think would succeed at UK:

Mark Pope
Fred Hoiberg
Amir Abdur-Rahim (I think he is a superstar in waiting)

Mitch probably doesn't even know who Amir Addur-Rahim is though. LOL.

[ 04-08-2024, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------

redbone

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-08-2024 05:27 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would love to see Mark Pope given a shot as "Associate Head Coach" with an interrim pick as head coach. Someone older who has the wisdom and experience to start the rebuilding process, while Pope pretty much coaches under the team under his mentorship and gets experience with the calibre of players that I hope we can still recruit. Then, after 3-5 years, turn the reins over to Pope.

I would even take Pitino with all his character flaws in a deal like that.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13601 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
CatfanRick
Administrator
Member # 126

posted 04-08-2024 06:03 PM      Profile for CatfanRick   Email CatfanRick   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Mark Pope has the pedigree and experience to step in right now. I haven't followed his recruiting but his teams seem to improve over each season and win games. I am not familiar with his style of play but cam imagine his college and NBA days as a player would have some influence there.

To add to Tiptree's list of expectations, I miss the days of a coach who either has a style of play and recruits to fill a need to towards that style, or, recruits top talent then adjusts his game to his roster. Calipari did neither, he took the best talent he could get and forced them to play his way or not play at all. IMO, this and allowing his guard to much freedom has been his most consistent downfall.

Posts: 7191 | From: Florence, Ky | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-08-2024 06:13 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would be happy to let the following list try it for 2-3 years.

Donovan, Pitino, Hamilton, Pope.

They all have their UK connections and I think would be looking for championships first.

Posts: 14138 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
CatfanRick
Administrator
Member # 126

posted 04-08-2024 06:20 PM      Profile for CatfanRick   Email CatfanRick   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Folks talk of Pitino being 71. I like Hamilton too, but he is 75. Just saying.

Maybe, as mentioned in another topic, he could be Popes mentor at UK.

ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 04-08-2024 06:27 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am all for Donovan if we can pull him away from the NBA. I think he could do a great job. I'm also good with Pope, and Abdur Rahim as mentioned above could be an interesting pick. I would love to get Hurley, but that won't happen. Jay Wright would be my first pick, but I don't think he's coming back to coaching, but I would at least call. Scott Drew would be good as well. I know someone has mentioned him being dirty, but I don't recall ever hearing anything like that about him.
Posts: 5431 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
CatfanRick
Administrator
Member # 126

posted 04-08-2024 06:34 PM      Profile for CatfanRick   Email CatfanRick   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think we could pull Jay Wright off the broadcast team before we could have pulled him from Villanova. That said, he had it made at Nova, so his leaving coaching doesn't leave much of a chance of his returning.

I think Wright, along with Donovan both left the college sidelines because they didn't want to have to get in the mud while recruiting. Can't say as I blame them.

[ 04-08-2024, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: CatfanRick ]

blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 04-08-2024 07:10 PM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think it would be also smart to hire a coach that is currently coaching another team so we can possibly get some of their recruits to follow the coach. You hire Donovan or Jay Wright and you get nothing other than possibly some late transfer portal additions.
Posts: 1496 | From: Wimauma, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 04-08-2024 09:07 PM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jay Wright was pushed on TV tonight regarding if he would leave the booth for Kentucky, he said “No.”

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2240 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-08-2024 11:03 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oates is also officially off of the board.

--------------------

redbone

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-09-2024 08:50 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hurley is officially off of the board

--------------------

redbone

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-09-2024 08:53 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I also don't think UK can wait to talk to Donovan. I doubt Mitch will ever call Pitino or Izzo, although I think he should reach out to both and get a response.

--------------------

redbone

ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 04-09-2024 11:09 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I kind of like the idea of Pitino for a few years and bring Mark Pope on as associate head coach, and then he could take over when Pitino retires. I know that won't happen though.

I really have no idea who we will get and I am prepared to go through 2-3 lean years to get back to what UK basketball being a program that is built for success through player development and recruitment, and is built around the program being a priority not just the NBA. We are definitely in interesting times, and tbh a little scary. But I think what happened needed to happen for the long run. If Cal was still around it would be another season just like this last one, maybe slightly better if some guys surprised and stayed.

Posts: 5431 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 04-09-2024 12:00 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Bruce Pearl would be A good choice.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9779 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-09-2024 12:06 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
https://nypost.com/2024/04/09/sports/kentucky-has-home-run-hire-lurking-in-coaching-search/

From the link.

Kentucky’s men’s basketball job isn’t even formally open yet.

And the nos are piling up.

But there’s a “home run hire” lurking in the wings — who also isn’t officially a free agent yet.

Bulls head coach Billy Donovan is considered the “home run hire” and “aspirational” candidate for the Wildcats’ opening, according to ESPN’s Pete Thamel.

“There’s one name that looms over all and that’s Chicago Bulls coach Billy Donovan, who was obviously there under Rick Pitino as an assistant,” Thamel said before UConn’s win over Purdue in Monday’s national title game. “He is the Hail Mary hire, he is the home-run hire. He is who Kentucky is going to make say no.”

Posts: 5386 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
ProBlue
Player
Member # 2944

posted 04-09-2024 12:07 PM      Profile for ProBlue   Email ProBlue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I remember long ago someone posted here that Bruce Pearl had said he didn't even like to drive through Kentucky. I don't like him.

--------------------
ProBlue

Posts: 743 | From: Bristol,Tn. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 04-09-2024 01:29 PM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jay Wright was pushed on TV tonight regarding if he would leave the booth for Kentucky, he said “No.”

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2240 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com