TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Next coach?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Next coach?
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 04-07-2024 11:55 PM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So, who’s it gonna be??

Nate Oates?
Dan Hurley?
Bruce Pearl?
Billy Donovan?

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2239 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-08-2024 12:09 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It will not be Oates as he just signed and has a HUGE buyout that UK would have to pay.

If they go after Pearl I will officially be done with the Program. He is a scumbag and cheat.

I think they make a run at Billy D, but the Bulls are in the playoffs and I am not sure they can wait on him.

I think they may call Izzo as well.

There is no way Hurley is leaving UCONN. They are THE program of the last 25 years.

[ 04-08-2024, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11557 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 04-08-2024 12:18 AM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Scott Drew?

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-08-2024 12:24 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If it is Drew I will also burn all of my Kentucky gear and not watch another game. He and Pearl are two peas in a pod.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Bigcatdaddy
Player
Member # 21

posted 04-08-2024 07:17 AM      Profile for Bigcatdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure, short of Brad Stevens, there is a coach that would really reunite the fan base. And he ain't coming.

Hurley would be the biggest homerun, but he's got a great thing going at UCONN.

Names not mentioned are Golden from Florida, Smart at Marquette. Beard, can't see him being offered because of his past issues, though they were dismissed.

To me, it would ideally be a younger coach, like Golden, but he'd have to be given time to develop under the pressure that is UK. Cal is right, it (UK) ain't for everybody.

The fan base is hungry. It will be an interesting time coming up, and make the off season a little more interesting as well.

The timing seems good, or it could ahve been way worse anyway.

My $.02

--------------------
It's me, the cat.

Posts: 10228 | From: Macy, Ind. | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-08-2024 07:40 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There are a ton of coaches out there that can lift this program back up. Let just hope Mitch doesn't screw it up.

This is a great day for Kentucky Basketball.

Posts: 10330 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-08-2024 07:46 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If true, this will be a blood bath for UK basketball for a few years.
Cal will take at least a couple of (if not more)current players with him and most of the incoming class. With the exception of Reed, these kids didn’t come to play for UK, they came to play for Cal.

I have no idea who might be our next coach but if it’s Pinto bean or Bruce cheating Pearl, I’m done with UK basketball. Moral’s matter, at least to me.

Our fan base has no patience and I can see who ever it might be, could possibly be run off in three years. We won’t win a National Championship for several years and that’s being optimistic.

Posts: 5384 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-08-2024 08:52 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Give Jay Wright a call. Maybe he is tired of sitting in the broadcast booth instead of roaming the sidelines. He really impressed me with how, in the age of one-and-dones, he won at Villanova with solid, veteran players. I think all of us would love to see that kind of success at UK.

Next up would be Donovan. Nobody else has won back-to-back championships in recent history, and I can't even name any of the players he did it with. Solid, solid coach.

The coach at Indiana State that took his team to the NIT finals after being snubbed by the NCAA would have been an interesting option. He has been described by opposing coaches as an offensive "Einstein". But he just jumped ship to St. Louis.

I admire what Oats has done, and without paying Cal's buyout, we might afford to pay his. All in all, if Wright and Donovan aren't interested, I would go hard for Nate Oats.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13601 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 04-08-2024 09:02 AM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I do t think Brad Steven’s is leaving his current position. Same with Jay Wright.

Of the names I listed, I was nit suggesting I am in favor of or against those names. I was just throwing them out for reaction.

I am not sure there is any name that would unite Kentucky fans.

Bottom line is that Csl will back handed blame the fans for his departure when he brought that Dane pressure on himself by downplaying the tradition of championships in favor of a players first philosophy that did not prioritize team success over individual success. He us proving that he is truly a politician that has been lying about his commitment to the Kentucky job.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue

GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 04-08-2024 09:17 AM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The coach at Indiana State just took the St Louis job.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-08-2024 09:30 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ga Cat, there is no doubt that Cal will blame the fans in a non-so-subtle way for his decision to leave. That is just Cal. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13601 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-08-2024 11:21 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is the most excited I've been over Kentucky basketball for about 6-7 years now. I almost don't care who the next coach is, but there's only two or three coaches who I would hate to see come here.

Cal is not the same coach who took over the program fifteen years ago. That guy was a bull. I remember the documentary that aired when Cal went into the hall of fame. It showed a clip of him right after the 2012 Championship where he said, "Well, that's over with." I think he changed once he won that title. That one title was good enough for him. Let him put Arkansas players in the NBA. I want to get back to enjoying players for a couple/few years and not having a new set of high-school kids each year.

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-08-2024 11:33 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulCat:
but there's only two or three coaches who I would hate to see come here.

I have been reading a little this morning and it seems like my days as a Kentucky basketball fan may be numbered.

Sounds like Mitch's first call will be Scott Drew because they are close. Just great. [Frown] [Frown]

[ 04-08-2024, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------

redbone

CatfanRick
Administrator
Member # 126

posted 04-08-2024 12:10 PM      Profile for CatfanRick   Email CatfanRick   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm also thinking Kelvin Sampson at Houston. Sean Miller at Xavier. Leonard Hamilton at Florida St. Yes, Sampson and Miller have history but if digging deep enough I am sure that is true of most all coaches.
Posts: 7191 | From: Florence, Ky | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bigcatdaddy
Player
Member # 21

posted 04-08-2024 12:16 PM      Profile for Bigcatdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not popular, but Bruce Pearl would kill it at UK.
Yeah he had a future doctor at a barbeque.....

--------------------
It's me, the cat.

GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 04-08-2024 12:20 PM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CatfanRick:
I'm also thinking Kelvin Sampson at Houston. Sean Miller at Xavier. Leonard Hamilton at Florida St. Yes, Sampson and Miller have history but if digging deep enough I am sure that is true of most all coaches.

I wouldn’t be against Hamilton.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-08-2024 12:28 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't understand the fascination with Pearl. One he is a snake and a scumbag. I'll never understand as an adult how you try to ruin an 18 year old kids life because he picked another school. He has been given a 3 year ban for his antics at Tennessee and his players at Auburn are not disciplined and throw punches. Second, if you are strong with the ball his teams are easily beat

He is the exact opposite of what I would want to represent Kentucky basketball.

He also has basically had no success in the NCAA Tournament:

02-03 Milwaukee - 1st round exit
04-05 Milwaukee - Sweet 16
05-06 Tennessee - Round of 32
06-07 Tennessee - Sweet 16
07-08 Tennessee - Sweet 16
08-09 Tennessee - 1st round exit
09-10 Tennessee - Elite 8
10-11 Tennessee - 1st Round exit
14-15 Auburn - Didn't make Tourney
15-16 AUburn - Didn't make Tourney
16-17 Auburn - Didn't make Tourney
17-18 Auburn - Round of 32
18-19 Auburn - Final Four
20-21 Auburn - Ineligible due to Payment Scheme plus they had losing record
21-22 Auburn - Round of 32
22-23 Auburn - Round of 32
23-24 Auburn - 1st Round Exit

[ 04-08-2024, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------

redbone

Bigcatdaddy
Player
Member # 21

posted 04-08-2024 12:38 PM      Profile for Bigcatdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It almost seems fans will be as divided with who ever is picked as they were with Cal.

--------------------
It's me, the cat.

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-08-2024 01:12 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pearl is scum. Started when he was an assistant coach at Iowa and went steadily downhill. If he was the coach at UK we would be on suspension pretty quickly. His past has proven that.
Posts: 5384 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 04-08-2024 01:12 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was happy with this news, and immediately a little scared. I am sure we will lose all of our recruits, and any returning players we might have had. Whoever comes in is going to have a daunting task for next year. However, I am excited to hopefully get someone that can actually coach and get the most out of the team he has. I was tired of constantly seeing us under achieve because Cal could not coach. Can he recruit? Heck yeah, he is amazing at that. I will gladly go through a couple of tough years to get to where we see a quality team competing for championships. I think the fans are smarter than what most think, which is why we were tired of Cal. If we get a coach in here that cares about the players AND the university, wants to win championships AND get players to the NBA; we will be fine. It is still one of the best places to play and get prepared for the NBA. Times have changed, and there is more competition, but there is no reason that we realistically should not make a final four every 7 years or so, and make several elite 8's and sweet 16's. As a fan I would be happy with that. The problem with Cal is that we could all see the talent and potential there, but it just wouldn't be realized. And what made it worse were all of Cals comments in regards to NBA, draft night, etc. He literally had no concern over winning any championships. If he did, great, if not, it was no big deal because he still got guys drafted. It sure will b e interesting to see who we get, and I really hope they swing for the fences and go big. I also believe, there could be a good young coach out there that could be perfect if given some time.
Posts: 5430 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-08-2024 01:29 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ukman:
but there is no reason that we realistically should not make a final four every 7 years or so, and make several elite 8's and sweet 16's. As a fan I would be happy with that.

I know I am in the minority on this, but I have never understood the logic above. For me it is all about Titles.

I could care less if UK losses in Round 1 or the Final Game. The end result is the same..... NO CHAMPIONSHIP and that is all that matters when you are an Elite Program.

I have felt this way back to the Joe B Hall era. I am not old enough to remember the Rupp era, but this is how I was raised.

Heck, I got in trouble in High School because I would not cut down the Sectional and Regional nets. I always told my coach "When we win State I will gladly cut the Net down, but none of this other stuff matters".

Championship or bust or as Reese Bobby said "If you are not 1st you are LAST" [Big Grin]

[ 04-08-2024, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------

redbone

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-08-2024 01:36 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ukman:
I also believe, there could be a good young coach out there that could be perfect if given some time.

ukman,

How much time are you willing to give them? I agree that UK could go this route, but do you really think this fan base would give a coach 3 or 4 years to build a program? I don't see that happening. My guess is after back to back losing or .500 seasons they would be fired.

--------------------

redbone

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-08-2024 02:19 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, since college basketball is now pay-for-play, I don't see us having more than one down year. Recruiting is now more about money than anything else.
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-08-2024 02:31 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulCat:
Well, since college basketball is now pay-for-play, I don't see us having more than one down year. Recruiting is now more about money than anything else.

PC,

Agree. I am not even sure you should have one down year. Musselmen built his “one and done” teams through the portal every year. He never won anything though....

[ 04-08-2024, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------

redbone

ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 04-08-2024 06:17 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Realistically, in the game of pay for play now, I would say a good coach should have us back in the title hunt in year 3. I think fans would be willing to give a coach 3-4 years if they saw progress each year and could see something being built. The problem with Cal is you saw nothing being built in the last several years. There was no progress towards anything.

Trey, when I say get to a final four, I am assuming we would win 1 of those. UConn is really the standard as far as championships go right now. They have 5, possibly 6 in the last 25 years so that's 1 every 4-5 years. I would be happy with 1 every 7-10 years, anything less than that I would be ecstatic. Next year is going to be rough as I expect us to lose every recruit we have, and most of our current players. We will be depleted and have to go into the portal to even have a team. But, if we see improvement and see a coach that actually gets the most out of his talent, then I will be please and be optimistic for the future.

Posts: 5430 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
CatfanRick
Administrator
Member # 126

posted 04-08-2024 06:28 PM      Profile for CatfanRick   Email CatfanRick   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I still like Kelvin Sampson. Some dirty laundry, yes, but his Houston teams are exciting to watch and they win. Kind of like watching a Pitino team on the court.
Posts: 7191 | From: Florence, Ky | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-09-2024 06:05 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm going out on a limb here and say I'm pulling for Shaka Smart!

He's young energetic. He lead a VCU team to the final four for goodness sake. I just enjoy watching his teams play. He has a lot of energy that he can pass on to his players! Just my $.02!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123970 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com