TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » What next??

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What next??
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 03-22-2024 10:02 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There's got to be a change to this program before it plays another game. You can use some of the salary that Cal was going to get to help with the buyout. I don't think his replacement should start off with UK making all the money Cal is making.

I think there's a good chance he will be gone come September. Who will replace him? Good question. There are plenty of good SUSPECTS, but who will make the move.

Jay Wright - He's been working the booth for a while now. Would he be willing to go back on the hardwood for the UK Brand and the dollars he would get. ?????

Scott Drew - He's made a name for himself at Baylor. Good resume but would he switch even for UK?????

Danny Hurley - How could he even consider leaving UConn with a chance to repeat as NCAA back to back Champions. Maybe the best choice but will he come down of of the mountain for even the UK program ????

Brad Stevens - He is in the same class as Pitino, Calipara, Donovan, etc. He did ok at Butler for a while but he had his mind set on the NBA where he is behind the desk for the Celtics.????

Bruce Pearl - He's proved his ability at TN and AU. He's also been in trouble. Would the BBN accept him. Not so sure????

Billy Donovan - He is the last coach to win back to back NCAA championships. How is his situation with the Chicago Bulls going to affect a decision from him? His status as the Bulls coach is on a slippery slope right now and he might just be interested in returning to UK.

Tommy Lloyd - He is digging his heals in at Arizona and building a program. Would the UK history be enough to cause him to give up what he is building????

Sean Miller - He's been around as a winner but has also gotten caught with his hand in the cookie jar. That has caused him to end up at Xavier where he is doing a good job. Would Mitch trust him with the UK program?????

Nate Oats - Just about the top of the list as far as young SEC coachs that would be considered for this job. I'm not sure he would consider moving with the program he is building at Alabama.????

Mark Pope - He has moved on up to BYU where he has a good program going even though they just got knocked out of the tourney. He might be a good get but could he really recruit to satisfy the BBN???????

Rick Pitino - He has been heard to say leaving UK was the biggest mistake he ever made. Would the BBN forgive and forget. Some would but what % would be willing to take him back? Would he be just another OLD coach like Calipari. How long would he last?

And there is also an up and coming young guy who has led Indiana State to a good record and was not selected for the tourney. How about Josh Schertz of the Sycamores?? He doesn't have an enormous number of wins but he could be just what the doctor ordered for the sickly wildcats.

Posts: 14124 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-22-2024 10:57 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal is going nowhere. He is going to be the coach unless HE decides to step down and I don't think that will be the case.

And I will go on record and say this: if UK ever hires Scott Drew or Bruce Pearl I will cease being a fan of Kentucky Basketball instantly.

Scott Drew and Bruce Pearl always come up as the two slimiest coaches in anonymous polls of other coaches. Drew is a cheat and a half and Bruce Pearl is right behind him and Pearl runs the most basic defenses and offenses out there. If you are strong with the ball that is all you need to beat a Bruce Pearl team.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11534 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-23-2024 03:10 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jay Wright stepped down from a program while he was young and successful. I believe he did so because of the direction of college basketball which he wants no part of - pay-for-play and the free agency transfer portal. I doubt he ever coaches again.
Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
FairfieldCat
Player
Member # 2897

posted 03-23-2024 12:38 PM      Profile for FairfieldCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wasn't Sean fired for something the compliance department was in charge of
Posts: 306 | From: Cincinnati | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 03-23-2024 01:08 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's what I was referring to when I said "he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. I'm no genius on basketball, but I like to make believe I am. And at this point, I don't care what anyone says, Cal is finished in top college BB. He may hang around a few more years but that just shows you he isn't interested one iota in UK BB. He's for himself and all the media attention he can get and the only way he can get that is to surround himself with all these HOT SHOT freshmen and hope and pray they deliver. Sorry, but they have delivered nothing but bad news for around 5 years now. We can continue to suffer the agony and disappointment for more years or we can have an athletic director who has some balls to make the required change.....no matter what. Not overly concerned since I just turned 83, have developed a fluid problem with my legs due to worn out veins in them, and have recently been told my PSA test came back a 23.9. Oh well. Who knows if I will outlast Cal at UK or not, but I'm resigned to the fact that I'll probably never be around when UK gets #9, if they ever do.

[ 03-23-2024, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Bama Cat ]

FairfieldCat
Player
Member # 2897

posted 03-23-2024 01:19 PM      Profile for FairfieldCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Did Cal have any hot shot Freshman this year?
Posts: 306 | From: Cincinnati | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
mr_ukkid
Player
Member # 2304

posted 03-25-2024 02:25 PM      Profile for mr_ukkid   Email mr_ukkid   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Personally if Coach Cal leaves one way or another. There really is only 1 coach I would go after and go after hard. You could pay him Coach Cal money, and I believe he would come to UK, and that is Billy Donovan. Still has that NBA draw for the recruits, and I thought he was one of the best coaches in College when he was with Florida.

--------------------
"The point of coaching is to win Championships" --- John Calapari
mrukkid@gmail.com

Posts: 2263 | From: Wildcat in Buckeye Country! | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-25-2024 03:58 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think there are many coaches out there that would be a good hire. Cal isn't gonna live forever, and Kentucky basketball will go on. One way or another, some day Cal will not be our coach.

But I wouldn't mind seeing Billy D in charge. [Smile]

Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 03-27-2024 09:26 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I could third that motion for Billy D. I think he has all the needed experience and tools to do the job.
ProBlue
Player
Member # 2944

posted 03-28-2024 01:55 PM      Profile for ProBlue   Email ProBlue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal is going Nowhere that was decided last night.

--------------------
ProBlue

Posts: 742 | From: Bristol,Tn. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com