TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Lineup

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lineup
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 02-05-2024 10:36 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Cal has to think about putting Mitchell on the bench and going with Theiro/Bradshaw at the 4 for the majority of the minutes. Onyenso has to be on the floor to compensate for the guards not being able to stay in front of their man and due to the fact that he is the best defensive rebounder on the roster.

Then he has to split the time between Reed/Wagner/Reeves/Dillingham for the other three spots on the floor.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11534 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 02-05-2024 11:08 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree. Reed/Reeves/Dillingham/Wagner/Thiero are the core rotation for the 1, 2, and 3. Thiero could slide over to the 4, but he seems best fitted for a "power 3". What a luxury to have such talent to use tactically as the situation demands.

The bigs also provide an abundance of options, depending on matchups and tactical needs. I really like Onyenso's improved game, rebounding, and attitude. I love Mitchell's seasoned craftiness, and leadership. I think Bradshaw needs to get his head screwed on straight; he has the physical tools to be awesome, but something ain't right with his attitude/effort/Basketball IQ. Big Z remains an enigma, hope he can get well and find his spot on the team. He really needs to add some muscle to survive when he must guard in the post, but his offensive game is amazing.

I LOVE the "five out" model we used when Big Z had his huge debut game. Talk about hard to stop! We ran a fluid offense that found open looks, and we hit most of them. It was beautiful. But, as well as Big Z did in blocking shots, in the half-court, he was no match for opposing "aircraft carrier" centers. They pushed him around and established post position too easily. Onyenso, and to some degree Bradshaw, are necessary when we face those guys.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13595 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 02-06-2024 09:01 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well it has taken Mitchell to have an injury to get the lineup(s) I mentioned above but I will take it.

Hard to judge how effective they really are so far because Vandy is not very good.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 02-06-2024 09:06 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
These lineup combos are just way more athletic and explosive with Thiero and Bradshaw on the floor vs Mitchell.

Maybe Mitchell has been trying to play through an injury though because he was great early in the year for UK.

--------------------

redbone

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-06-2024 09:26 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Heard today that Mitchell hurt his back just before the Florida game

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123962 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 02-06-2024 10:00 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is what I do not get from Cal. He is going ballistic at Shepard for a turnover at around the 14:10 mark of the second half. You can literally here him on the TV yelling “Reed, WHY!”

I will tell you why Coach Cal. Because the turnover should go on Bradshaw who would have had another easy dunk if he simply would have sealed his man. Instead he was lazy and just tried to reach for the ball. It was the right play by Reed all day long, but poor execution by Bradshaw.

Cal was literally 3 feet from the play and can’t see that?

--------------------

redbone

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 02-06-2024 10:19 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Uhhh…….Jordan Burks is athletic and can actually defend one on one.

--------------------

redbone

ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 02-07-2024 01:31 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Burks looked like a pretty good defender. Maybe he should be getting some more time.
Posts: 5424 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
FairfieldCat
Player
Member # 2897

posted 02-07-2024 02:01 PM      Profile for FairfieldCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't really understand the negative talk about Mitchell. As far as Sheppards turnovers with Hands of Stone Bradshaw, I guess he needs to realize who he is passing to
Posts: 306 | From: Cincinnati | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-07-2024 06:56 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trey Ball:
Here is what I do not get from Cal. He is going ballistic at Shepard for a turnover at around the 14:10 mark of the second half. You can literally here him on the TV yelling “Reed, WHY!”

I will tell you why Coach Cal. Because the turnover should go on Bradshaw who would have had another easy dunk if he simply would have sealed his man. Instead he was lazy and just tried to reach for the ball. It was the right play by Reed all day long, but poor execution by Bradshaw.

Cal was literally 3 feet from the play and can’t see that?

Cal was an idiot for yelling at Reed. Bradshaw's defender was on the other side of him and still beat him to the ball.
Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 02-08-2024 09:25 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Cal was an idiot for yelling at Reed. Bradshaw's defender was on the other side of him and still beat him to the ball.
Oh, hey, let me fix that for ya...

quote:
Cal IS an idiot. Period.
It may be a bit harsh, but it pretty much sums up how I feel lately.

Cal is ALWAYS looking for scapegoats, excuses, or taking a very lame approach to "that was on me". The problem is entirely self-created: He was the first to capitalize on the NBA 20-year minimum age requirement, made hay with the early one-and-done wave, then when Coach K and Self strarted to wake up and take the better one-and-dones, Cal had no other options. He is stuck hoping to strike gold in the now very competitive market for one-and-dones, but cannot POSSIBLY expect to develop them into true, seasoned, title-contenders. So, he blows smoke up our arse, telling us how many NBA all-stars briefly passed through our consciousness, how many cheap wins he racked up, and trying to divert our attention from the increasing irrelevance of UK in March.

He cannot change now. It would guarantee two or three awful seasons to focus on building a program of seasoned players. So, this is what we'll get, folks. Maybe, just maybe, this team has what it takes to make a six-game run from a 8 or 10 seed... but that is asking a LOT. I love watching them when they are smokin' hot and running free, but when we run up against a team with equivalent talent AND greater experience, we have seen what happens.

[ 02-08-2024, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13595 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-11-2024 07:40 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
....and now the rest of the story. From this point frorward any one expecting us to win much of anything is dreaming or high on drugs or alcohol. We have finally shown what we have this year, and it is not even close to what we were expecting.

With Reeves, Thiero and Ugo as the only experience4d returners, Cal had hoped he could add Mitchell and a hand full of freshmen for a final four team. WRONG!
Bad wrong.

Let's start with our defense which is what Cal used to say we will get the defense down pat and then we'll work on the offense. Where along the way did he change his philosophy? This is one of the most defense lacking teams he has had here. A few of them can play good D for a short while but they always return to concentrating on their offense.

Our offense is one of the best in the country.... but not always. WE have a hand full of great shooters but they are not always consistent. And it seems like they are prone to follow the leader. If one is hot there are usually 2-4 other guys hitting them. But we have had some losses this year that went down to the wire because not more than 1 person could hit a basket.

Our 3 big men are proving that they did not have the experience or knowledge to carry us inside. Poor hands, poor shooting inside, poor rebounding and just a poor understanding of how to play top college BB. One good thing is overall they can shoot free throws. The speed of the college game has left Z behind standing around wondering where to go next

I think I could write a book about what we lack. This doesn't mean we can't improve enough to rise from a 8 or 10 seed to do a little damage. But for the most part we'll be lucky to reach the final 16.

The thing that should look good for us is most of them aren't good enough to get drafted. The 7 footers are no where ready for the NBA, although some will draft a 7 footer if he was in a wheel chair.

Our guard corps are all good shooters, when they are hot. Shepherd can take the team on his back but that tends to run out before he realizes he needs to get others involved. That's when he makes those passing mistakes.

Not much wrong with this team (AS REDBONE WOULD SAY) that some of that fantastical tape they sell on TV couldn't fix. Don't look now but the rowboat is reeling low in the water. Sit back and enjoy the good games and feed the sharks the bad'ens [Big Grin]

[ 02-11-2024, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: Bama Cat ]

Posts: 14124 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-12-2024 10:13 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Guys we have a lot of guys who won't be ready for the draft but most should return to get draftable next year. Right now I would say we lose 2 graduates, Trey Mitchell and Antonio Reeves. Past that we have DJ, Dillingham, Shepherd, Thiero who could all get there feet wet in the draft. But I don't see all four of them leaving. The rest of the roster needs to hang around for another year, but they won't. They'd rather play the G League or overseas for money. I would guess that their stock has really fallen since we got into the SEC schedule. We do have some more good kids next year so they will have to fight for their minutes next year again. With Somto Cyril, Jaden Quaintence in the front court we will be tall again. And with Boogie Fland running the show we should have asimilar PG next year. And the final piece of the puzzel is Travis Perry who holds the Kentucky high school lifetime scoring title. It could be a great addition if the class this year gets their heads on straight and mold into the new guys plan. It's just a shame Cal can't figure it out.
Posts: 14124 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com