TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » KY vs S. Carolina in Columbia, in game chat (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: KY vs S. Carolina in Columbia, in game chat
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-23-2024 08:44 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We've outscored by 21 points from 3 pt land tonight.

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123962 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-23-2024 08:46 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
KY trails by 15 at the under 4 minute timeout 68-53.

We've scored 53 points in 36 minutes tonight.

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-23-2024 09:01 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Really going some when officiating allows fans to run out on the floor with 5 seconds to play. Wonder where USCs coach is taking them for supper tonight?

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-23-2024 09:04 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Even the SEC network is so elated that they won't go to the second game. Wow!!!

I guess they should just cancel the MO A&M game tonight.

--------------------

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-23-2024 09:55 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I get fed up with it when the stupid SEC announcers go crazy. They are so far out of it they are giving USC all the credit for beating UK tonight. If they knew anything about BB they could see what happened in front of them tonight. But they were so busy running their moth during the game with so much superfuless information they have no clue. It wasn't so much USC stopping UK as it was UK stopping themselves by not finding any offense for about the whole game. It was Reeves and Dillingham that were the only ones to show up. We couldn't have hit the ocean with either hand standing in the surf. This is a perfect example of what happens just like the second half of the Q-final game in 1984 NCAA when we hit 3-33 in the second half. Only problem here is we arrived and we departed and never found our game all night. They are freshmen and it will probably happen more than once more. If we can put 6 top notch games together at the end it will be a miracle.
Posts: 14124 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-23-2024 10:36 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
USC just has Cal’s and UK number recently. Just chalk this one up as a bad performance and move on. The only thing I do not understand about tonight is the lack of minutes for Reed. He is your best player and all of the metrics support that opinion. Sure he got off to a bad start but other than Dilly so did everyone else.

USC got back in transition and the refs allowed mugging on both sides tonight which is not to UK’s advantage.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11534 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-24-2024 07:24 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am completed stunned by the amount of minutes Edwards plays and the fact that he starts every game. Calipari is a complete moron for playing him as much as he does.
Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-24-2024 01:08 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know why Edwards starts or sees the floor more then 7 minutes, unless he is hot. He really doesn't bring much to the table right now on either end of the floor. Reed should have played much more than 15 minutes. Remember, this is Cal. We know how he tends to forget about players when the game gets difficult. Last night was an example of how we are only going to win if we just flat out play better than the other team. What I mean by that is if we can't beat guys off the dribble in our DDO or high screen game there will be no adjustment. Mitchell was dominating for a 4 possession stretch in the 2nd half, and then we didn't go back to it. Why? Reed is one of your best defenders, and smartest players. You would think you would be giving him alot of minutes in a game like last night. When things are difficult Cal tends to not know what to do to adjust. We've seen it before and we will see it again. I give him all the credit in the world for allowing the guys to play more free and shoot more threes, but I am still worried he will struggle in close games when we need the coach to adjust or come up with a change to help the team. Why not try zone last night? I know they were hitting threes, but it was because they constantly beat us off the dribble and then kick out to a wide open shooter after help came. Maybe a zone could have stopped that some, maybe not. But I sure as heck would try something different if nothing is working, and at least give them another look to think about. This team is fun to watch, but man our defense stinks. It's not a coincidence that everyone shoots better against us. It's because we are bad on defense. If we don't fix that we are not going to go far this season unless we continue to score 90 points a game against everyone.
Posts: 5424 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-24-2024 08:59 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulCat:
I am completed stunned by the amount of minutes Edwards plays and the fact that he starts every game. Calipari is a complete moron for playing him as much as he does.

For this team it may not say much, but Edwards is the best on ball defender on the team. He is also probably the best offensive rebounder on the team as well.

I think Cal has to figure out how to use him differently.

What can’t happen is having DJ and Dilly on the floor together. They give up buckets left and right and when they are on the floor together it is impossible for the other 3 UK players to cover for them.

Dilly was the best offensive option last night and he scored 16, but I think he gave up 34 to the players he was assigned to guard. He just is clueless on the defensive end.

DJ will play good defense for 10 or 15 seconds and then gets lost. Both of those guys should he very good on ball defenders and they are statistically the two worst on ball defenders in the SEC. Wagners guy scored 70% of the time and Dilly was at 68% going into last night. Dilly may have overtaken him with his performance. Contrast that with Chuck Hayes and Darius Miller. The guys they guarded scored 8% of the time. Two great defensive players.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-24-2024 09:01 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulCat:

For this team it may not say much, but Edwards is the best on ball defender on the team. He is also probably the best offensive rebounder on the team as well.

I think Cal has to figure out how to use him differently.

What can’t happen is having DJ and Dilly on the floor together. They give up buckets left and right and when they are on the floor together it is impossible for the other 3 UK players to cover for them.

Dilly was the best offensive option last night and he scored 16, but I think he gave up 34 to the players he was assigned to guard. He just is clueless on the defensive end.

DJ will play good defense for 10 or 15 seconds and then gets lost. Both of those guys should he very good on ball defenders and they are statistically the two worst on ball defenders in the SEC. Wagners guy scored 70% of the time and Dilly was at 68% going into last night. Dilly may have overtaken him with his performance. Contrast that with Chuck Hayes and Darius Miller. The guys they guarded scored 8% of the time. Two great defensive players.

--------------------

redbone

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-24-2024 09:02 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That all being said. I like this team and Cal has time to get the defensive end of the court to improve.

--------------------

redbone

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-24-2024 09:33 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think mwe know how to play defense and play it well against some teams. But most of the time it isn't steady for 40 mins. We especially forget the defense in the last 10 minutes of the games.
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-25-2024 09:53 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Trey, where do you find those stats? Those type of stats would be real interesting to see.
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-25-2024 11:27 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In my opinion, Edwards would have to average 10 offensive rebounds a game to be an asset. And since he only averages 4 total rebounds game, I think his time is best spent sitting on the bench.
Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-25-2024 04:18 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here are my thoughts; I think we can all agree on the first three at least.

1. This team is an absolute joy to watch when the offense is clicking.

2. This team really needs to lock in on defense. It isn't capability, it is defensive focus and maybe even IQ.

3. Sheppard needs to be on the floor more than any other player. He is the best shooter, the best defender (among the guards), and he has a calming effect on the team. Not sure why Cal can't see what the stats say, and what we can all see. My only thought is he is playing his higher potential lottery picks.

4. Besides improving defense, we need to have our bigs play a lot better, especially in regards to rebounding. Those three seven-footers are not showing up as seven-footers on the stat sheet.

5. February (sometimes late February!) is when Cal's teams traditionally figure things out and hit a nice groove. The groove for this team could be truly awesome.

[ 01-25-2024, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13595 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-25-2024 09:07 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have to agree on mot of your post, however I can comment onsome of it.

Sheppard in the last several games has started making a frew bad decisions, passing and slow movements causing him to lose the ball or make turnovers. Very quickly Cal gets him out, thus less PT. I have to agree that Sheppard is as good a PG as Wagner

Our big men are going to be iffy until they can rebounding, making layups, and stop making fouls. Our croatian trys to play ball like the europians do and has not fully understanding the differences of that and US type rules. They never found him in the USC game for any shots.
Ugonna is looking better but he is still going to be the slowest of the three.

Right5 now they need to concentrate on their games and try to get better. Right now they tend to take up space.

ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-26-2024 12:41 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Shepherd has made a few mistakes lately, but certainly still lower than most every player. He needs to get 30+ minutes a game.

Onyensu seems to be the best rebounder of the 3, and best shot blocker. Big Z seems to be the best shooter and we haven't seen enough to really say what he is. Bradshaw is a little bit of a mix, but I don't feel he is better than the other two at any one aspect. Who plays the most should be determined by the match-up and who if one gets hot, or is dominating the boards.

Rebounding and defense is going to determine how our season goes. If we improve in those areas then the sky is the limit. If we don't, then we could be gone in the first weekend once again.

Also, Cal has to play Edwards less. It feels like he feels like he has to make sure he lives up to his draft projection from the beginning of the year. If Edwards doesn't, it's like Cal thinks it makes him look bad. I'm sure that's not true, but I can't figure out why he plays so much. When Thiero gets back, if that ever happens, he should get Edwards minutes imo.

The team will have plenty of games where SEC teams are gonna play physical, slow us down, and make us have to win with defense and rebounding. Hoping we make that a focus and the guys really by into that part of the game the most. The scoring will still come most of the time. We will also need Cal to help them at times with set plays to get the right guy a good shot or match-up, and maybe even play a little zone if we can't keep the ball in front of us. At least enough to maybe keep the other team from getting so comfortable on the offensive end.

This has all the potential to turn out to be an amazing season. The pieces are certainly all there.

ProBlue
Player
Member # 2944

posted 01-26-2024 01:51 PM      Profile for ProBlue   Email ProBlue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We rank 110 in Division 1 on defense, TN.ranks 10, Auburn 15 . That's a big problem. We don't solve this problem we will be lucky to get pass round 32 in March.

--------------------
ProBlue

Posts: 742 | From: Bristol,Tn. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com