TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » A copied post.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A copied post.
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 12-18-2023 05:02 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I found the following on another UK website and decided to copy and paste here.

“I have some idle time this morning, as a lot of 79 year-olds do, so I cranked the UK 10 game season stats into a spreadsheet and came up with the following. Let the hate mail begin.
For each of our 9 players with significant playing time, I came up with a value, like this: I gave 2 points for each made FG, 3 points for each made 3FG, deducted 1 point for every missed 2- or 3FG; 1 point for a made FT, deduct 1/2 point for every missed FT; 1 point for each rebound, 1/2 point for each assist, 2 points for each block and steal, deduct 2 for each TO.
I then took the total for each player and adjusted it for minutes played.
Here is the order of relative player value: Sheppard, Bradshaw, Thiero, Mitchell, Burks, Dillingham, Reeves, Edwards, Wagner.
Yes, I realize that there are intangibles to consider. Yes, there are a lot of arguments about the way I applied the numbers. Yes, I agree it would be stupid to give Burks more playing time over the 4 below him.
It's just for fun.“

I found this interesting. Highly subjective, but interesting.

Posts: 5379 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 12-19-2023 11:00 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The most interesting part? Where are the stats?
Posts: 14124 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 12-19-2023 12:54 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For whatever reason, he didn’t post them. I would have liked to have seen them also.
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 12-19-2023 02:15 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would definitely tweak his ratings a bit.

Tiptree's scale would be:

A made basket is worth 2 or 3 points
An assist is worth 1 point
Each made FT is 1 point

Each blocked is worth 1 point; it may or may not result in a made basket on the other end.
Each steal is worth 1 point for the same reason.
Offensive rebounds are 1.5 points
Defensive rebounds are 1 point

Penalties:
Missed field goal -1 or -2
missed FT is -0.5
Turnover -1

I cluster the shots made/missed, assists, and turnovers into an "offensive score", the rebounds into a "rebounding score", and the steals and blocks into a "defensive score".

I then added them all up for a Total Score.

I multiplied the total score by their fraction of the minutes played to get an Adjusted Score.

Here is a spreadsheet with my results:

Link to Tiptree's Google Doc

For those averse to clicking on links, the short version is:

Reeves, Dillingham, Sheppard, and Mitchell should all be getting tons of playing time. They contribute the most. The fifth spot should rotate between Thiero, Wagner, and Edwards, who generally rate about half as good as the first four. There is a huge dropoff from the top 4 to the next three, and another cliff after that.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13595 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 12-19-2023 04:21 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip, I like your spreadsheet a lot! I think it is much more reflective of the player’s value to the team.

Would you mind if I forward it on to Cal?

rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 12-20-2023 01:43 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is the kind of post that I love to read. Good job guys. Edward's minutes should definitely decline and Thiero's should increase. So far Reed has been the best player on the team.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com