TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Possible Tshiebwe Returns if not drafted??

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Possible Tshiebwe Returns if not drafted??
mr_ukkid
Player
Member # 2304

posted 06-22-2023 09:40 AM      Profile for mr_ukkid   Email mr_ukkid   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
2019 The NCAA passed a rule sayiing that if a player enters the draft and has attended the combine, and is not selected, tha player can return to school for another year.

All the mock drafts that I seen has Oscar around the 60-65 pick and this year there is only 58. Doesn't bode well for the Big Man.

What are your thoughts on his possible return if not selected. Do you think he will, or stay and hope someone picks him up via free agency, possibly going across seas to play? Thoughts. Be nice to just see him come back to help Kentucky out.

--------------------
"The point of coaching is to win Championships" --- John Calapari
mrukkid@gmail.com

Posts: 2263 | From: Wildcat in Buckeye Country! | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 06-22-2023 10:32 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think there is very little chance he will be drafted based on the mock drafts I’ve seen. I believe if he is picked up by an NBA team via free agency, some team may get a real bargain. If that doesn’t happen, my guess is he will play overseas. I just can’t see him returning to UK.

I wish him well wherever he ends up. He had his shortcomings at UK but I shudder to think where we would have been without him.

Posts: 5379 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 06-22-2023 11:44 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is the Aug 2018 article you are referring to. If this is still in affect it appears he could come back for whatever he could get in NIL. I wouldn't complain if he did. I would guess our standings in the preseason would jump back up drastically if he did.

"""The NCAA announced a rule change Wednesday that will allow players to return to school if they declare for the NBA draft but are not selected.

The new rule states that players who participate in the NBA combine can return "as long as they notify their athletics director of their intent by 5 p.m. the Monday after the draft."

That will replace the current rule, which permits players to maintain eligibility if they withdraw from the draft 10 days after the NBA combine.

Although a return to school would be "pending future action from the NBA and the National Basketball Players Association," it would take much of the risk out of declaring for the draft.

Currently, players who remain in the draft and are not selected are forced to pursue other professional options such as the G League or playing in Europe if an NBA team doesn't sign them.

In addition to that rule change, high school players can take more official visits to colleges, and elite high school recruits are also permitted to hire agents to help them "make informed decisions about going pro."

Last month, NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said the league is likely to change its age-eligibility rule."""

Posts: 14124 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 06-23-2023 08:25 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, Oscar didn't get drafted.

Chris Livingston was the final pick (#58) of the draft. Is he Mr. Irrelevant?

Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
jerseycat
Player
Member # 9

posted 06-23-2023 08:45 AM      Profile for jerseycat   Email jerseycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I dunno, but I think the odds for him returning are low. Think the odds are best that a team will sign him.

BYW, best explanation of the NBA Early Entry Rules I have seen:

Players can sign with an agent without losing eligibility
In 2019, the NCAA introduced a new rule where college players can sign with an agent without losing college eligibility. Now, there is a caveat, we'll get to that next.
This allows players to essentially get a taste of what it would be like to turn pro. In the process, the agent helps the player find out where they stand in terms of the upcoming draft. Whether they would be a first or second rounder or even get drafted at all.
Must terminate agreements to return to college
Here's the catch.
Under the new rule allowing players to sign with an agent and remain eligible, if a player decides to return to college they must terminate all agreements made with an agent.
Before the rule implemented in 2019, if a player signed with an agent, they became ineligible.
So, that contract that has been signed, go put it in the shredder. You're back in college for at least one more year.
Players can participate in the NBA Draft and still return to college
Now, here's another aspect that has changed. Players can go all the way through the NBA draft process. This means they can participate in draft day and if they aren't taken by a team in the draft, they are able to return to college. Of course, this is for early entrants that still have college eligibility left.
The one stipulation being, to do this, the player must have participated in the NBA Draft Combine.
To return, the athlete must inform the school's Athletic Director by 5 p.m. the Monday after the draft.
Again, before the 2019 rule changes, if a player was a part of draft day, their college eligibility was lost.

[ 06-23-2023, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: jerseycat ]

--------------------
UK Class of 1968

Posts: 1791 | From: Red Bank, NJ | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 06-23-2023 10:54 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
JC the rule about returning if not drafted was done in 2018, as written above. I believe that resulted from the Morris case at UK in 2017? He thought he was great, but turns out he wasn't that great and didn't get drafted. He may have been the first college player to want to return and probably caused that rule in 2018.
Posts: 14124 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com