TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Cotton Nash passes away.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cotton Nash passes away.
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 05-23-2023 06:48 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cotton Nash was one of my all time favorites. He was a 3 time All American at UK, played in the NBA, ABA as well as playing Major League Baseball. He was also recruited by numerous universities for football. He played center at 6’5” on an undersized UK team.

Probably several on here don’t remember him playing but I know many of you old timer’s remember him well, as do I. I have been a UK fan for as long as I can remember but it was Cotton who turned me into a fanatic. Makes me feel like I lost a friend.

RIP Cotton.

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mark-story/article275702906.html

[ 05-23-2023, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5379 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 05-23-2023 08:40 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I remember him well handy and he was also a favorite of mine. rest in peace Cotton!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 05-23-2023 08:46 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You may not realize it Ed but that makes you old too. 😊
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 05-24-2023 05:42 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, believe it or not, I'm one of the young whippersnappers on here that doesn't remember seeing him play.
Obviously, he's always been one of the players that has been mentioned frequently through the years. You don't become a 3-time all-American and not get some ink in the historical pages of your program. RIP Cotton!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123963 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 05-24-2023 09:07 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
yep handy I feel it also - just retired this week from the police dept where I was working. Now its online poker and once a week live game with a bunch of young players.

for what it is work
3 yrs u s army
34 yrs us dept of state (diplomatic service overseas_)
2 yrs private industry (computer sciences)
25 yrs police officer along with 17 yrs as a h,s, basketball coach here in fl.

man it all went so quick (i am 79)

hope I can enjoy one more title by the cats!

p.s. ted deeken was cotton's running mate and those two were hard to stop!

[ 05-24-2023, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: ukcatfannfl ]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 05-24-2023 09:20 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I didn't start following the Cats until the mid-70s, so I didn't get to watch some of the amazing teams under Rupp. But from what I have seen, Hash was the Real Deal.

RIP, Mr. Nash. Your place in history is secured.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13595 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 05-24-2023 09:20 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Remember his exploits well, even though I was just into the Air force during his time at UK. He was probably the first UK BB player I can recall seeing. I was a big Dayton fan as I was going thru H.S. in 56-59 in Springfield, OH.

RIP

[ 05-24-2023, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: Bama Cat ]

Posts: 14124 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 05-24-2023 10:22 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ed, do you by chance play Texas hold ‘em? I played that for years and even played in a few small tournaments. A good friend, who has passed on, taught me how to lose at the game.
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 05-24-2023 12:36 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
handy i play tx hold em on line and can lose with the best of them. However, my main objective is to get my competitors
(my boys) to the wsop! [Smile]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 05-24-2023 01:33 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bama, I only got to see him play a “very” few times. There was limited TV coverage then, at least in my area. BUT, I listened on the radio and that may have been better.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-24-2023 08:52 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nash (1962-64) appeared in 78 games for the Wildcats and averaged 22.7 points and 12.3 rebounds per game. He was a member of two Southeastern Conference championship squads and was tabbed an All-American during all three seasons of his basketball career. Nash earned All-SEC Eastern Division honors as a member of the baseball team, and also participated in track and field as a discus thrower.

“As a three-sport competitor, Cotton Nash was one of the greatest all-around athletes ever to wear the Blue and White,” said Mitch Barnhart, UK Director of Athletics. “His accomplishments in basketball and baseball made him a rarity in American sports history. We are thankful for all he did for the University of Kentucky and our sympathies are with (wife) Julie and their family and friends.”

Nash would become just one of 13 players to appear in both the National Basketball Association and Major League Baseball following his career at UK. He played for the Los Angeles Lakers and San Francisco Warriors during the 1964-65 NBA season, and he also played nine seasons of professional baseball, including three in the MLB with the Chicago White Sox and Minnesota Twins as a first baseman and outfielder. Nash also played in the American Basketball Association with the Kentucky Colonels in 1967-68.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
country cat
Player
Member # 1774

posted 05-25-2023 11:49 AM      Profile for country cat   Email country cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
he was and always will be my favorite kentucky player R I P

--------------------
american by birth-----wildcat by choice --- if you not the lead cat---your view never changes

Posts: 1023 | From: breathitt co-----lost in eldorado | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 05-25-2023 01:19 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wish I could have seen him play, but my earliest memories of UK began in the middle 70's. Kyle Macy is actually the first player I remember and that's because of the way he rubbed his socks before shooting free-throws. May he rest in peace.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com