TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Cal’s Quote on twitter.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cal’s Quote on twitter.
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-19-2023 03:12 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
“If u want to take care of ur family u should leave. If u want to take care of my family u should stay.”

John Calipari ✊🏼❤️

I saw this on Facebook but I believe it came from Twitter. However I’m not sure. No idea who, if anybody, this was directed at. I thought it was interesting and a little thought provoking.

[ 04-19-2023, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5379 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-19-2023 04:09 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If this is what he told his players that were trying to make up their minds whether to stay or go, he's farther off his rocker than I thought. Taking those words to mean what he says, he'd have to explain who he thinks is in each family he mentions (yours or mine) before I could take it to heart.

[ 04-19-2023, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Bama Cat ]

Posts: 14124 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 04-20-2023 10:11 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It was directed to Cousins who wanted to come back for another year..

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-21-2023 06:40 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ed is right... Cousins apparently really loved playing at UK, and wanted to come back. That was Cal's advice to him.

My guess is that it is his generic advice. He has no loyalty to the UK program whatsoever.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13595 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-21-2023 07:49 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe anyone’s loyalty should lie with their family before any sports program.
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-21-2023 07:54 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All I can say is that my college years were maybe the best years of my life. I grew up poor - not starving or homeless by any means - and I wouldn't change my childhood for anything. I would welcome back any kid who wanted to stay in college. The way Cal puts an emphasis on money, I just think he's dead wrong. I left a job for money once, and six-months later I went back to my old job. Good times beat the hell out of money.
Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-21-2023 11:50 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think this can be related to an incident while I was in the air force. I had over 24 years in the Air Force and I missed promotion to E-8, SMSgt by 1.9 points. I was going to make it the next time around without any doubt in my mind. Was it worth staying for the promotion and more money in retirement? I chose NO. I had never had a long tour (3 years) over seas. If I took a promotion I would have been at the top of the list for assignment which would have probably took me to Germany. I had a son who was just going into the 10th grade. Some of those assignments were such that the high school age kids were sent to where there was a government school and only got to come home for holidays. After weighing this into my decision I decided to retire. I don't really regret that decision ever. Sometimes you do have to consider family at the top of your list.
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 04-21-2023 01:35 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bama that was a great "family" decision. I made the same decision = retire or go overseas one more time. I retired as u.

Cal on the other hand makes his decision easy as he already has more money than carter has liver pills and he says that to boogie as if what's a title compared to u making urs!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 04-21-2023 06:51 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I too, retired from the Air Force as an E7. 20 years and 28 days active duty and never once was stationed outside the continental USA; not even temporary duty. I was in intercontinental ballistic missiles, and they are all stateside.

[ 04-21-2023, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: Old Norm ]

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36264 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 04-21-2023 07:27 PM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hate to use the “apples and oranges” example, but comparing our situations concerning money and the decision Cousins had to make concerning money are entirely different. His decision involved millions of dollars that could potentially set him and his family (his mother especially) up for life. I understand what Cal was saying. I wish he had been selfish and said come on back Marcus, but if he had and Marcus had a career ending injury we would have blamed Cal. I have a lot of issues with Cal, but the Cousins advice isn’t one of them.

BTW, Norm, I envy you. I spent 10 years (9 in Germany and 1 in Korea) overseas in a 20 year career. Thanks for your service guys! God bless!

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-21-2023 07:38 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just one of the few career fields that have all duty assignments within the states. My auto-track radar career field was frozen for most of the VN War, which meant we couldn't ask for a transfer out of our organization. I beat it by volunteering for instructor duty in 1972, while the war was still going on. I spent 1 year at Osan Korea 1976/77 as my only overseas PCS in almost 25 years in the AF.
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-21-2023 08:46 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I also was in Korea, 63 & 64. It was very hazardous duty. I can’t even tell you how many bar stools I fell off of.
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-21-2023 09:04 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EnterpriseCat:
I hate to use the “apples and oranges” example, but comparing our situations concerning money and the decision Cousins had to make concerning money are entirely different.

I'm trying to think of one college player who stayed longer than he needed to and ended up with a career-ending injury, but I can't think of one. Let's just assume he would've had an injury-free sophomore year:

Cousins was drafted fifth in the 2010 NBA draft. Here's the top five picks in the 2011 NBA draft:

Kyrie Irving
Derrick Williams
Enes Kanter
Tristan Thompson
Jonas Valanciunas

I feel pretty confident in saying that Cousins might very well have been the first or second pick in that draft. In the long run, I don't think he gained anything by leaving after one year. He'd be just as rich as he is now. But he did give up something that he can never get back, and it's something that it sounds like he really enjoyed - being a college teenager.

Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 04-21-2023 10:24 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe Scotty Thurman fits the bill as staying one yr too many and not making the nba, He was an aa after his soph year and decided to stay his junior yr, was not drafted in the nba but did play overseas. His teammate Williamson did go play in the nba. Word was if Scotty left his soph yr he would have been a 1st round pick.

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com