TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » My only glimmer of hope

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My only glimmer of hope
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-09-2023 11:25 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just to provide my annual reminder that this is still early January, and Cal's teams ALWAYS look awful at this time. ALWAYS. It frustrates me to no end, because while he claims to be "focusing on March", by the time we get to march, we have accumulated too many losses to have any real hope of a deep tournament run. Surely he can see this????

But, my glimmer of hope is that this team will follow the normal path for a Calipari UK team: Sudden improvement in late January/early February, and finish playing close to our level of expectations. Let's give this team a few more weeks...

Now, as to tournament hopes, well... playing and losing to good teams early when our team plays so poorly is not a recipe for tournament success. We fans want the big games in November and December, and Cal delivers.. but maybe we need cupcakes instead. I have NO IDEA why Cal's teams come out of the gate so slowly and play so poorly for the first 60% of the season, while other teams don't have that problem. But it is an undisputable historical fact. If Cal can fix that, we fans might be a lot happier.

So, my glimmer of hope is only that the team will play better, closer to their potential, before the tournament selection committee delivers their death sentence of a bad seed (or no seed at all). That really isn't very satisfying to us, the fans, or the players.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13595 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 01-09-2023 01:34 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I generally would agree, but I don't think it will happen this year.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-09-2023 03:32 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with both of you.

This team is so limited when it comes to play in the paint. Without Oscar, as we saw in the Bama game, this team is a disaster offensively. Defensively, even with Oscar, we just plain suck. There are quite a few SEC teams that are flat out better than us this year, and I don't think we will have enough wins to get a good seed in the tournamemt - if we make it at all!! If this year's team is going to turn things around, they better do it quick or we'll be in such a big hole that there won't be a way out of it.

[ 01-09-2023, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: PaulCat ]

Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-09-2023 03:33 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This team peaked in the Bahamas………it’s been all down hill since then. In the Bahamas, Cal was not on the sideline barking orders and the players played free and fast. Things that make you go HMMMMM!!!

[ 01-09-2023, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11534 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-09-2023 04:00 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's all a matter of chance. Do we have a chance? What a chance? Is there a chance? Will we earn a chance? We may have half a chance. Is there any chance at all? What a chance! Who's this Chance guy anyway? Maybe we'll get a half ass chance. Chance is like making love to your cousin and thinking you'll get away with it, per chance [Big Grin]
Posts: 14124 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 01-09-2023 05:19 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
3rd cousin don't count, just say'in

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 01-09-2023 06:57 PM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Unless Cal makes some scheme (offensive and defensive, because our defense is awful too) adjustments, this team will not see much improvement. I have my fingers crossed, but I’m thinking 7-8 seed at best. I think the better possibility is NIT. Prove me wrong Cal…please!

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com