TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Kentucky vs. Alabama Press Conference

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kentucky vs. Alabama Press Conference
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-07-2023 09:19 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Everyone should go to Youtube and search for the Nate Oates and John Calipari press conferences and come back here with comments.

I'll lead it off, a reporter asked Cal and Oates basically the same question about how Bama attacked Oscar to start the game.

Cal's response: "It wasn't about how we were playing these pick and rolls the pick and rolls, and then I'm trying to do it on the board and explain it again and they they got another lob and I said you can't be in"

So Cal first says it wasn't about how Oscar was playing the pick and roll, but at a time out he explains it AGAIN, they get another lob after the time out and he says Oscar can't be in. That seems to me to say it WAS about how UK was playing the Pick and Rolls does it not?

Oates Reply to the Question starts around the 2:00 minute mark, but you really get the details at the 2:35 mark:

"We decided to attack him early in ball screens, I don't think he is very good guarding ball screens and we got behind him 3 times right out of the gate"

So obviously Bama game planned to attack the exact thing that they did. Oates opinion coming into the game was Oscar "was not good at guarding ball screens" and after giving up 3 easy baskets Cal says it wasn't how they were guarding the pick and roll, but then basically contradicts himself the next sentence when he says you can't be in"

Oates also mentioned how Oscar was 1-7 in the game and basically how he is easy defend because he doesn't shoot anything but "at the rim shots".

One coach had all the answers and one had none.

[ 01-07-2023, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11534 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-07-2023 10:18 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal doesn't have a clue and does nothing to prepare our guys for what the other team . He never has, and it shows. He had no answers as to how to help this team compete, and I think the players realize he has no answers as well. They know they have no help coming in the form of coaching. It is really a sad state of basketball and I sure hope Texas somehow decides to throw everything at him to get him. I doubt they will though as I think schools know now that he just can't coach and the game has long passed him by.

It's amazing what good coaching and preparation can do for a team. They had a good game plan and they executed it very well. And now every team has film of exactly what to do to dismantle this team, and they don't have to worry about Cal stopping it. Here's a small idea. Maybe try mixing in some zone depending on your lineups. I am constantly amazed at the fact that someone who's job is to do basketball all the time can be so inept at game plans, and adjustments.

Posts: 5424 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 01-07-2023 10:42 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ukman... who do you think Texas will go after when they go after a new coach ??? Oats or Cal ??? I am hearing Royal Ivey is a big possibility !!!

MEL:

Posts: 2791 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-08-2023 10:33 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just don't know at what point something is done about this mess. I think of other major college programs and what would happen if their coach has underperformed like Cal has in the last ten years. At least when Tubby left I was still excited about each game, and I had hope that his teams would succeed. That has not been the case for several years now. I have seen for 13 years now how Calipari runs a program and I just don't think his philosphy works. It looked great when he was getting NBA-talent players at his mid-major schools, but it doesn't work in major college basketball.

Nothing would make me happier than seeing Calipari turn this program around, but there are too many of aspects of this program that he has ruined.

Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-08-2023 12:21 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mel, I would think they would go after Oates over Cal. I have heard Ivey's name as well. I am just hoping they will somehow fool themselves into thinking Cal is the best option and he goes. If they have people that are really looking at the basketball, then they will not even talk to him, but who knows. I am praying they somehow fall for the fools gold that is Cal and go after him real hard.
Posts: 5424 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-08-2023 04:22 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal isn't going anywhere. Why would he? He doesn't need more money. He has a "contract for life" at UK. And he has the biggest stage to preen on.

So, sorry. UK will have to fire him and pay up for the privilege. Cal is like a tick dug into your scotum... he ain't leavin', and getting him out is going to be painful.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13595 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-08-2023 04:37 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Cal's response: "It wasn't about how we were playing these pick and rolls the pick and rolls, and then I'm trying to do it on the board and explain it again and they they got another lob and I said you can't be in"
That is something that drives me crazy. Cal is barely articulate. Read that sentence. Does it make any sense? Not to me.

Cal comes back with gems like:

"Maybe the wrong guy is taking the shots". OK. Check. Maybe you need to actually COACH them on who should take a shot.

"Oscar wasn't rebounding with two hands". Well, it might be because he had a hand in his back and was trying to go up against an athletic 7-footer.

"Oscar was fading back on his shot, and Bradley could block them". Hmmm... fade-aways are done precisely to AVOID being blocked. Cal's answer: "He should shoot into him". Huh?

Anyway, Cal clearly doesn't have a clue. He indicated that in the second half his offensive guidance was "just run the dribble drive". Really? That was your genius adjustment?

I give up. We have made our bed with Cal, and he isn't getting out.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13595 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 01-08-2023 04:59 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip, I would like to hear more about when you got that tick on your scrotum and how you got it off. 😁 Bet it was painful.

I’ve honestly thought for quite some time that Cal has some sort of speech impediment. The man can not be as stupid as some of the things that come out of his mouth. He’s the Yogi Berra of college basketball.

[ 01-08-2023, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5379 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-08-2023 06:54 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He has a wandering mind. He thinks of something else before he can finish his first thought. Does he think he is going to run out of time before he can say what's on his mind?? [Eek!]
Posts: 14124 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com