TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Next coach at Texas.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Next coach at Texas.
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-05-2023 11:05 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CBS has Calipari on the short list.

<link>

Posts: 10340 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 01-06-2023 05:14 AM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Seth Davis is pushing hard for him to go to Texas.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9779 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-06-2023 07:44 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Even though we would probably lose most of our recruits for next year, I would be okay with it. UK should be able to have alot of quality coaches to choose from.
It will be interesting to see if they go after Cal or not. He is supposed to be one of the best and a coach that most schools would want, but if someone really looks at the basketball I would think they would know he is a mid level coach at best. I would be interested in Jay Wright, Scott Drew, Tommy Loyd, would have said Chris Beard, Eric Musselman. Those are a few off the top of my head. If Cal were to leave who would you want?

I know if he did leave we would most likely take a step back at first, but if Mitch gets the right guy I am sure we would be able to be back at the top where we belong in a short time. The tricky part is next year. We have alot of talent coming in, and should have some solid backups. It could be enough talent to win a championship despite the coaching. And maybe if Cal won another one maybe he would say that's the best time for him to leave, on top. Or it could guarantee him another 10 years at UK.

Posts: 5437 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-06-2023 10:03 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I will never get my hopes up regarding our recruiting classes. Next year's class is three guards, a small forward and a 7-foot center who barely outweighs me. With Oscar gone next year, I don't like the looks of our big guys. We should have Ware and Onyenso returning, as long as neither transfers out. I don't have a good feeling about the three centers we'll have.
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-06-2023 10:19 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Centers will be a question mark, but if they could defend, rebound, and set solid screens we could be very good.

I'm okay if we had to hit the reset and struggle next year in order to get a program back that develops players while competing at the highest level, and the focus is on the program and not just the NBA. Something like Villanova had with Jay Wright. I also think that a new coach would be able to do well in the tranfer portal and have success. Look at Arkansas and even Missouri right now. I would think that transfers would want to come to UK.

Posts: 5437 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 01-06-2023 10:58 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm okay if we had to hit the reset and struggle next year in order to get a program back that develops players while competing at the highest level
Curious as to how long you would be ok for? Two, maybe 3 years at the most would be my guess. If the new coach is unable to recruit, doesn’t represent the university well or (heaven forbid) is not the bench coach many arm chair coaches think he should be, we go through the same turmoil.

[ 01-06-2023, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5398 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 01-06-2023 12:43 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am hearing Royal Ivey at Texas !!!
No way I would go with Beard after what happened at Texas. Needs to prove he can control his temper before being allowed to come back IMHO.

MEL

Posts: 2795 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-06-2023 01:38 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When Cal does decide to leave, I'm not so sure the UK program will struggle at all. Every year you have coaches go to a new program and have them doing much better than the year before with the prior coach. And if our recruits follow Cal, it's very possible that the new coach would have recruits follow him to UK.

The world will not end when Calipari is no longer our head coach.

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-06-2023 02:37 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have to agree about the world not ending. We just have to steer clear of another Billy G. His name will go down in infamy! [Big Grin]
Posts: 14153 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com