TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Cal, “it’s becoming harder to play at Kentucky”.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cal, “it’s becoming harder to play at Kentucky”.
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 12-23-2022 08:05 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not defending Cal, but I fear he is correct.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/12/22/john-calipari-says-it-has-become-harder -to-play-at-kentucky

On a side note, I watched Missouri absolutely destroy what I thought was a pretty good Illinois team last night. That does not bode well for us next week.

On a side, side note. I also watched Western Kentucky lose to South Carolina. Donte Allen was not a factor. He did wave at one guy who drove past him on defense and it looked like a pretty decent “wave”. I looked up his stats for the year, they are unimpressive and that’s taking into consideration his suspension. In spite of fan pressure, he should never have been recruited at UK. At least IMO.

[ 12-23-2022, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5379 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 12-23-2022 09:18 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think there's any more pressure to play at UK today then there was 50 years ago.
Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 12-23-2022 09:27 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No player (except maybe Ky born and bred) "plays" for Ky - coach recruits for the nba and that is what ALL of them play for.

Now with the NLI - money is first before playing after going to college. Our Caywood yrs are long gone.

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 12-23-2022 09:40 AM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There was a time when the players played for the name on the front of the jersey, but that has changed big time. If it is harder (and I don’t think it is) it’s because of Cal’s inept offensive concept. Hard to watch.

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 12-23-2022 09:53 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ukcatfan, unfortunately you’re right. His stated goal is to get players to the NBA and he has been very successful. Unfortunately that is not the goal we, as fans, want.

[ 12-23-2022, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 12-23-2022 12:38 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think the negativity is toward the players at all. At least that I see. It's directed at him and his terrible coaching. I don't like him going on and making it sound like the fans are all over the players. We have supportive fans of the players. I don't think that's the case at all. I like this team and feel they want to play well. I just feel that's going to be more difficult at UK because the coaching is subpar.
Posts: 5424 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 12-23-2022 12:46 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is just stupid by him. The fans are patient with this team, it's his idiotic coaching that we're losing patience with, or have lost patience. This makes me angry to see him go on and make it out like the fans are so tough on the players.

"You don’t want it to be so hard that they don’t want to come here."

Give me a break. Yeah, these players have it so tough at school. All the gear, great rooms, travel, free tuition ,NIL deals, etc. I'm not saying it can't ever be tough at times, but don't make it like it's so bad at UK that kids won't want to come. Kids won't want to come if he keeps running his stupid offense and just screams on the sideline. I'm so ready for him to be gone.

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 12-23-2022 01:34 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry Ukman, other sites rip the players continuously and unmercifully. They always have and always will. You better have thick skin if you play at UK.
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 12-23-2022 01:57 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is the only site that I go on so I guess I am in the dark. That's too bad. I guess I have said how Wheeler can't shoot, etc. Certainly don't think any less of him as a person, and he plays hard, but I guess that could be hard if you look at that stuff and see everyone saying it. At the same time, you are getting alot out of the experience as well.
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 12-23-2022 03:57 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I also am critical of players from time to time. IMO, that’s ok. Some of the posts I see are simply mean on those sites. Some sites have thousands of active posters. You know these kids read them. I criticized Donte Allen, a former player, in this post but the moderates told me it was ok. 😊

[ 12-23-2022, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 12-23-2022 05:15 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There's nothing wrong with Wheeler. He had a great year last year and was able to get to the basket more than this year. Why? Because everyone has heard of him now and they cut his drives off more than they did last year. He has two parts to his game. Driving past his defender for an under hand lay up and driving to the paint and getting it out to the outside man who is open. Things are just not as easy as it was last year.
Posts: 14124 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
CatfanRick
Administrator
Member # 126

posted 12-23-2022 09:05 PM      Profile for CatfanRick   Email CatfanRick   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'll never know how difficult it would be to play at Kentucky, but I can assure you, it has been very difficult to watch them the last 4 or 5 seasons.
Posts: 7180 | From: Florence, Ky | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 12-23-2022 09:49 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CatfanRick:
I'll never know how difficult it would be to play at Kentucky, but I can assure you, it has been very difficult to watch them the last 4 or 5 seasons.

It's becoming really hard to watch. Because we always play poorly against good teams and we play down to the level of our competition in all other games.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 12-23-2022 09:55 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I used to just make bad remarks during the second half but I find myself saying them for most of the game. They just can't seem to get on a streak and stay there for 40 minutes. No killer instinct. Their reputations could be better than those who played on the 96 team but they don't play anywhere near them.
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 12-24-2022 11:17 AM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bamacat, this year's team couldn't tote the 96' teams jockstrap. The 1996 team in my opinion is the best team to ever play college basketball.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 12-24-2022 03:00 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From top to bottom of the roster there is no UK team that could compete with them.
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 12-24-2022 08:58 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thunk that 2015 team sure could. You would need another coach to coach the 2015 team though against Pitino. If it's Cal, then the 96 team would beat them. If there's another quality game coach I think the 2015 team might win. That sure would be a fun game to watch.
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 12-24-2022 09:00 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think that 2015 team sure could. You would need another coach to coach the 2015 team though against Pitino. If it's Cal, then the 96 team would beat them. If there's another quality game coach I think the 2015 team might win. That sure would be a fun game to watch.
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 12-24-2022 09:32 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If I despised the coach as much as some do, I either wouldn't watch it, or would find one that I liked.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36264 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 12-25-2022 12:39 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The most fun teams to watch are North Carolina, Kansas, Houston, Arkansas and Alabama. Houston is the only one of those five that I could root for.

I still remember the days of the old Phi-Slamma-Jamma at Houston. There were so many good teams back in those days.

Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 12-25-2022 03:00 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
PaulCat,

I am not sure that those teams were all that much better, just that they were head-and-shoulders better than their competition. As time has gone on, there has been an ever-increasing pool of great players, so the entire game is elevated over the 70s and 80s teams that I grew up with. Since there are so many players, the overall level of competition is higher, making it harder for one team to stand out. A few programs can draw the very best -- UK, Kansas, Duke, UNC... but many, many others can get their fair share of top talent too.

It isn't harder to play at UK, but it is harder to dominate.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13595 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 12-25-2022 03:17 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Old Norm:
If I despised the coach as much as some do, I either wouldn't watch it, or would find one that I liked.

I don’t despise Cal, but I do despise his offense and his favoritism towards certain players……..and due to that I have stopped watching the games. I get zero enjoyment from watching UK play now and I never thought I would say that.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11534 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 12-25-2022 08:58 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I definitely don't like the coaching, but I am a UK fan so I still watch and cheer for them. I am not a Cal fan, but I am not going to stop watching a team that I have been watching since I was little just because the coaching is so bad.

I will say he has made it to where I am not near as upset if I miss a game as I used to be. His style is just hard to watch, especially when everyone knows they could be doing much better against top competition.

I do enjoy watching other teams, but I have not chosen to follow another team. I have never been a bandwagon fan

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 12-25-2022 09:50 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I too don't like the 1/2 court offense. It sucks. I also finding myself talking to no one in particular throughout the game, especially if they have a bad start. I guess I'm asking Cal what was your thought on that play. Why don't you take that player out and sit him so far down the bench you can't find him again? Of course I get no satisfaction out of that but at least I'm showing my displeasure with his decisions.
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 12-25-2022 09:54 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Old Norm:

I definitely despise what cal has made UK. A team he coaches for the names on the back. I pull for the name on the front KENTUCKY. So I'll continue to watch and cheer even though I am more than likely to be disappointed because I know that if we play a ranked team that we lose more than we win.

--------------------

ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 12-28-2022 09:25 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It became even harder tonight.
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 12-29-2022 06:28 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As I've mentioned before, one man does not make a good team. Oscar proved that last night by having almost a 20/20 game. And we all know that when you are a 3 point shooting team like we are, if you miss your shots you will lose no matter what Oscar does. Very disappointing that we take spells of hitting them and spells of missing them, almost all of them. Are we really a 3 point shooting team or a wannabe. Time will tell. But I'm pretty sure we are not a final four team no matter how good this team is supposed to be.

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com