TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Ugly win, but a win nonetheless

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ugly win, but a win nonetheless
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 02-02-2022 11:46 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have to say that that was a brutal game. Every Vandy player threw a shoulder into Tshiewbe as they passed, lots of contact... yet Oscar still came up with a double-double.

Brooks has become a reliable mid-range shooter. Who knew? Gotta love it because when he was trying to be a dribble-drive guy, he just couldn't get much going. But give him the 16-18' jumper and he contributes a LOT.

Mintz, apparently inspired by a young UK fan after the Kansas game, was our main outside threat. We needed that!

Wheeler was dishing some dimes (nine, in fact), but went scoreless from the field. In fact, he just missed some easy shots, but that was the story of UK all night. Toppin misses the put-back dunk, Tshiewbe missed a dunk, Grady clanked some bad shots (and even had an air-ball!)... Yet, we survived. That is what great teams do when things are not 'clicking'. They just win and move on.

Really, really like this team. Gotta keep the injuries down... especially to Tshiewbwe, Washington, and Wheeler. I might have to add Brooks, Grady, and Mintz to that list. When those six guys are available, we are solid. Add in Toppin and Ware, and we can put eight guys on the floor that can play with anybody.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13629 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
jerseycat
Player
Member # 9

posted 02-03-2022 07:13 AM      Profile for jerseycat   Email jerseycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A brutal game for sure....we had 17 fouls and Vandy 25. Oscar 2 flagrant fouls! Cal a T and Stackhouse a T.Vandy plays dirty in my opinion, like Stackhouse when he was at UNC.

Mintz and Brooks came through big with points as Wheeler and Washington combined for 10 points.

We were outrebounded 37-30.

But we survived the scare. No Cal/Stackhouse handshake....not sure if a Covid thing or ?

[ 02-03-2022, 07:48 AM: Message edited by: jerseycat ]

--------------------
UK Class of 1968

Posts: 1791 | From: Red Bank, NJ | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-03-2022 07:41 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal said in his post game that after the Kansas game they found out that Agbaji, KU's leading scorer, was found to have Covid. He thought it better that we lay off the hand shake line for a while!

He was probably also afraid that Stackhouse would give him a shoulder to the chest like his bigs seem to do whenever they are supposed to be setting a pick!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 124002 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-03-2022 07:42 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Vandy also had more fouls in the game because they were trying to do the foul on one end and score on the other to try to catch up at the end of the game as well!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 124002 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 02-03-2022 12:26 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tiptree:
I have to say that that was a brutal game. Every Vandy player threw a shoulder into Tshiewbe as they passed, lots of contact... yet Oscar still came up with a double-double.

Brooks has become a reliable mid-range shooter. Who knew? Gotta love it because when he was trying to be a dribble-drive guy, he just couldn't get much going. But give him the 16-18' jumper and he contributes a LOT.

Mintz, apparently inspired by a young UK fan after the Kansas game, was our main outside threat. We needed that!

Wheeler was dishing some dimes (nine, in fact), but went scoreless from the field. In fact, he just missed some easy shots, but that was the story of UK all night. Toppin misses the put-back dunk, Tshiewbe missed a dunk, Grady clanked some bad shots (and even had an air-ball!)... Yet, we survived. That is what great teams do when things are not 'clicking'. They just win and move on.

Really, really like this team. Gotta keep the injuries down... especially to Tshiewbwe, Washington, and Wheeler. I might have to add Brooks, Grady, and Mintz to that list. When those six guys are available, we are solid. Add in Toppin and Ware, and we can put eight guys on the floor that can play with anybody.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9816 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 02-03-2022 12:28 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tiptree:

" Great teams just win and move on." That's the best line I've heard this year Tip.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9816 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com