TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » KY vs UNC in game chat...... (Page 7)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: KY vs UNC in game chat......
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 12-18-2021 10:32 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was asking myself the same question in the second half. I thought I saw Allen at the bench near the end. He may be sick or he may not have made the trip. No mention in the news so I'll almost bet he just wasn't played. Why does Cal even sign KY boys when he doesn't play them. I'm convinced he signs them just to apease BBN.
Posts: 14124 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bluebird
Player
Member # 954

posted 12-19-2021 11:42 AM      Profile for Bluebird     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When Cal emptied the bench at the end of the game, he ask Allen if he wanted to go in and he declined.
Posts: 128 | From: Maysville, KY | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 12-19-2021 12:36 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sounds lik the honeymoon is just about over. Will sheppardgo down the same road?
Posts: 14124 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 12-19-2021 12:59 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Allen is a good (but streaky) shooter, but he is doing himself no favors.

His defense is attrocious, and his attitude is even worse.

I doubt that Sheppard will have the same issues. All accounts point to a much bigger role for a man with his talents and work ethic.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13595 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 12-19-2021 10:32 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tiptree:
Allen is a good (but streaky) shooter, but he is doing himself no favors.

His defense is attrocious, and his attitude is even worse.

I doubt that Sheppard will have the same issues. All accounts point to a much bigger role for a man with his talents and work ethic.

I see nothing wrong with what Allen did. Cal says he always ask if players want to go in for the last minute mop up and his policy is it is ok to say no. He said that option was not given to him as a player and hated it. I agree with him on this.

[ 12-19-2021, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11534 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 12-20-2021 07:36 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I could understand Allen's lack of playing time if the other guards were so much better than him. Mintz has been a disappointment to me this year. Grady is a pretty good shooter, but I believe Allen would be just as good, if not better, if he was getting 25-30 minutes a game like Grady.

I would play Allen over Mintz all day long, but I would give Allen the opportunity to shoot when he's comfortable. Allen has taken a few bad shots this year because all Cal does is stand on the sidelines shouting "SHOOT! SHOOT!". That's not how Allen is effective. Cal has his favorites and that's blatantly obvious over the years. I hate to say it, but Allen's best bet is to transfer and be able to play. He's wasting the best years of his life sitting on a bench.

Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 12-20-2021 09:02 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
IMO, Cal doesn’t play him because he’s black. I’m surprised no one else has come to this conclusion. Pretty obvious to me.

[ 12-20-2021, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5379 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 12-20-2021 10:51 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would definitely play Mintz over Allen right now. Mintz plays much, much better defense, and remains a scoring option.

I wish I could agree with the majority here, but when I watch Allen in the game, he just doesn't give that extra effort. He moves languidly, almost like he is saving his energy. Saving for what? The bench?

He is often out of place on defense, and he is "soft"... not at all willing to body up and play physical. Despite all that, I would play him if he was a consistent shooter. But, alas, he is far from that.

Grady, Mintz, Washington, Wheeler are all superior to Allen at this time. He reminds me a little of Derek Willis, who just didn't "get it" until his last couple of years. Willis also would come into the game, not display much energy or enthusiasm, get lost on defense, and was an inconsistent shooter. Why should Cal play such a guy? But later, he woke up and started playing hard, playing smart, and earned his PT. The same is available to Allen, but first he needs to wake up.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13595 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 12-20-2021 12:21 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip, I agree with you.

My above comment was made tongue in cheek. Not necessarily on this site, but many UK fans insinuate, or out and out say, that Cal does not like to play Kentucky boys. That makes as much sense to me as my comment.

Posts: 5379 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 12-20-2021 03:47 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My wife who knows the mental aspects of basketball thinks that Allen needs the sixth man. Is Rupp going to be full for home games?
Posts: 845 | From: Cullman, AL, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 12-21-2021 09:53 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Allen may just not be the right fit with Cal. That can happen with coaches and players. It would be hard to play when the coach is screaming at you to shoot everything,but then take you out if you miss that is what I have seen many times this year. His beat bet is to transfer somewhere. Now his effort should be better, and body language, but I can also understand a little what he might be feeling. Just wish it would motivate him to try harder,but he may feel it's a lost cause with Cal. Not saying it's right, but I could understand. He could be a juzang type and go somewhere else and really display his true potential, or he could transfer and show he just doesn't work hard. I predict he will be gone, but I thought the same for Willis. That is a good comparison. Hopefully that's what we'll get with Allen down the road.
Posts: 5424 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com