TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Intriguing option emerges as Kentucky eyes backcourt help for next season

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Intriguing option emerges as Kentucky eyes backcourt help for next season
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-30-2021 07:13 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There could be another backcourt star on Kentucky’s basketball recruiting radar for next season.

Tamar “Scoop” Bates — a 6-foot-4 shooting guard from Kansas City, Kan. — asked Texas for his release from a letter of intent Monday, and UK is among the schools expected to gauge his recruiting interest.

Former Texas assistant coach Jai Lucas was Bates’ primary recruiter with the Longhorns before leaving Austin to take an assistant job at Kentucky last summer. Bates committed to Texas a few weeks after Lucas’ departure. Last week, Texas head coach Shaka Smart left the program for the same job at Marquette.

Bates is a long, left-handed guard who is improving as a three-point shooter and has a burst to get by defenders on the perimeter that should translate to the college level. He’s also an energetic player and a top perimeter defender at national powerhouse IMG Academy (Fla.), where he transferred to play his senior season following a stellar career at Piper High School in Kansas.

According to the 247Sports composite rankings, Bates is the No. 56 overall player in the 2021 class and is now one of the most coveted recruits in that group. He averaged 21.3 points per game as a junior last season and helped Piper win a Kansas state title as a sophomore.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 03-30-2021 07:17 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Multiple schools are interested in this young man, I guess we'll have to see how he shakes out when he finally makes his decision!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123990 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 03-30-2021 08:02 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dang ... if uk gets all of these transfers you are gonna have to get rid of a lot of this years players that haven't left yet. [Razz]

MEL

Posts: 2795 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 03-30-2021 09:38 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dang!
Posts: 14172 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-30-2021 09:44 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Heck Mel they can all go as far as I am concerned!
who wants players from a 9-16 squad!

1st or 2nd worst in the history of UK basketball!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 03-30-2021 09:51 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So ukcat... you want to go back to status quo and bring a new team in again next year ??? [Razz]

MEL

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-31-2021 12:44 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sure Mel why not. No new team could be as bad as this year's team.

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 03-31-2021 03:47 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
True [Big Grin]
But I think you also said you would like to see uk get back to having kids for more than one year. O know I understand why a kid wants to go make money in the nba but I also know I am glad Coach Williams doesn't get all one and dones. I like learning about the kids and knowing them for more than 6 or 7 months. It makes it a team and not a bunch of individuals playing a game.

MEL

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-01-2021 07:49 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So far, all of the transfers Cal has landed at UK end up being just like freshman. It takes them the whole year to "get it" (if they even do). Mintz is probably the best transfer we've had, and he struggled early. I love Toppin as a transfer as long as he stays a few years. I still don't know what to think of Sarr. Is he a center? A guard? I think his strength this year was hitting some important 3-pointers.

A few years ago it was Reid Travis. He was supposed to be all-world. By the end of the year he was not bad at all, but he was no game changer.

I'm just not sold on this transfer route. Cal's not getting "the best of the best" (as he puts it), so now he's going after transfers. We'll just have to see what happens.

Posts: 10347 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-01-2021 09:51 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm just not sold on this transfer route. Cal's not getting "the best of the best" (as he puts it), so now he's going after transfers. We'll just have to see what happens.
I’ve never gotten excited about any player transferring to UK. I doubt that I ever will.
Posts: 5408 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 04-01-2021 11:26 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Kyle Macy? Mark Pope?

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Bluebird
Player
Member # 954

posted 04-01-2021 12:39 PM      Profile for Bluebird     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Travis Ford?
Posts: 128 | From: Maysville, KY | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 04-01-2021 12:57 PM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Heshimu Evans

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2259 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-01-2021 01:12 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
After 12 years of experience with reloading with freshmen each year, and watching the quality of those freshmen steadily decline, I welcome transfers.

Experience is a very important thing for a winning team.

I would much rather 'integrate' a transfer into Cal's system, while benefitting from their veteran skills and mindset, than train up a new crop of NBA draftees every single year.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 04-01-2021 01:37 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm fine with the transfers, I just prefer them to have multiple years left. I don't want a different version of 1 and done.
Posts: 5441 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 04-01-2021 02:13 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know - a experienced one and done is most times better than an unexperienced one and done imo.

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-01-2021 03:06 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We won't have to worry about what Roy does anymore. He's hanging it up and going fishing!
Posts: 14172 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-01-2021 03:28 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I had completely forgot about Macy and Ford. In all honesty I doubt I was too excited about hearing about it back then.

Me not getting excited about transfers may be more to my lack of knowledge than anything else.

When I hear about transfers I think about a disgruntled player not getting the playing time he feels he should. Like Juzang. 😁 Never bought the homesick excuse both he and his family were putting out.

[ 04-01-2021, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5408 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com