TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » UL is is All-time Dishonor Roll Leader

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UL is is All-time Dishonor Roll Leader
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-23-2020 12:15 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Kentucky’s basketball game against the University of Louisville this weekend comes at a time when the Cardinals are awaiting a rules investigation by the NCAA.

So, what else is new? The Cardinals are the most penalized team in NCAA history.

Louisville ranks No.1 all-time in the number of games and titles the team has had to forfeit in the last 10 years.

Here’s the Cards violations scorecard:

Louisville: 123 regular-season and tournament wins and 3 tournament losses vacated, covering four seasons (2011–2015). This includes the Cardinals’ 2012 Final Four appearance and 2013 national title, making them the first Division I basketball program of either sex forced to vacate a national title.

Other teams on the top 5 dishonor role list: 2. Stephen F. Austin: 117 regular season and tournament wins from 2014 to 2019 due to an administrative error in certifying eligibility for student-athletes. 3. Michigan: 113 regular season and tournament wins and 4 tournament losses vacated covering six of eight seasons between 1992 and 1999. 4: Syracuse: 106 regular season wins from 2004 to 2007 and 2010 to 2012. 5. Ohio State: 82 wins from 2014-2019.

Others in the top 10 include Fresno State, BYU, St. John’s, New Mexico State, and Memphis.

What about Kentucky?

The Wildcats do not even make the top 50 list with Eddie Sutton’s 1970-71 and 1971-72 teams vacating four tournament wins.

It’s ancient history, but the Wildcats were one of two hoop teams to ever receive the NCAA’s death penalty. This sanction was imposed against Kentucky for the 1952–53 season; and the Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns men’s basketball program (then known as the University of Southwestern Louisiana) for the 1973–74 and 1974–75 seasons.

This was, of course the era of point-shaving scandals. (If you want to know the whole story about this era, read my book “Big Blue Blues.”)

NOTES: Kentucky’s loss to North Carolina was one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen. The whistle-happy refs sent players to the line for 59 free throws. The most ridiculous calls were the walking and moving screen calls…The most unbelievable UK stat: Olivier Saar played 19 minutes and never took a shot from the field.

One reason: He never got a pass in the post. You have an All-American candidate and he never gets off a shot? Think about it, John…UK is dumb as hell for not playing Dontaie Allen more. He needs at least 10-12 minutes a game (not mop-up 1-2 minutes).

Remember Derek Willis, another Kentucky sharpshooter who languished on Calipari’s bench for two years before becoming a star his last two years and is now a star on an Italian pro team.

Don’t do it again, Cal.

(Ken Mink is former Herald-Leader sports writer, journalist for 65 years and author of 26 books, He is a native of Vicco, near Hazard).

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 12-23-2020 02:53 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Eddie sutton wasn't coaching UK in the early 70's.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9785 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 12-23-2020 04:50 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No, he wasn't. I was stationed in Arkansas in the late 70s, and he was coaching, and doing a really good job, there.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36270 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-23-2020 06:10 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think it's supposed to be '85-'86 and '86-'87 seasons

[ 12-23-2020, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: m hamilton ]

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123983 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-23-2020 06:15 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rupp retired in 1972 and Joe B's first season started in 1972.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-24-2020 08:25 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hall was never put on probation for anything.

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123983 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 12-24-2020 12:16 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In 1961, I had the option of attending either UK or UL or UT medical schools. I do not know exactly why I chose UK. I was a student at UK beginning in 1961. I moved to California in 1966. I returned to Lexington in 1968. I enjoyed the UK basketball program during those years. During my growing up years (1950-1957) I was a fan of UK and UL basketball (Charlie Tyra). When some Louisville fans or maybe administrators began claiming that they were equal or superior to UK, I became very anti UL. I continue to be very negative to UL.
Posts: 845 | From: Cullman, AL, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-24-2020 03:33 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
cydeh, you made the right decision!

--------------------

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 12-24-2020 03:38 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Referring to the "all time dishonor roll", they don't call them the "dirty birds" for nothing.

It is embarrassing that UofL in in Kentucky.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13622 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 12-24-2020 06:11 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
catmando,
I think you are correct. At that time, UK had modern facilities compared to UL.I have a friend here in Cullman who attended UL med school many years after I attended UK. He and I joke about our animosity, but he is a well-trained dermatologist.

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-24-2020 07:40 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Clydeh, I bet you and your dermatologist buddy have a good time bantering back and forth about UK vs Louisville. Don't let him forget UK have won the last 4 games and 37 of the last 53 games. [Wink]

--------------------

clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 12-24-2020 10:37 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
catmandoo,
We are good friends but we do make some comments against each other's school. The last visit I made to him was a few weeks ago, and when we pulled up into the parking lot we saw a car with a UK sticker on the bumper. When I went into the waiting room there were too many people for me to determine who was the UK fan
When the crowd subsided, I asked about the UK sticker and it belonged to a man who was several years older than me. His grandson told me that his grandfather and the dermatologist often teased each other about the Cats and the Cards

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-25-2020 10:34 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Clydeh, the UK-Louisville is similar to the Duke-North Carolna rivalry of course being UK fans most all of us think it's bigger. [Wink]

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-25-2020 12:34 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is a article on the 11 most intense and bitter rivalries.

Link

[ 12-25-2020, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------

clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 12-25-2020 01:30 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am surprised that the Auburn/Alabama rivalry is not on the list. It is active in this state.
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 12-25-2020 03:26 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dr Clyde:
quote:
I am surprised that the Auburn/Alabama rivalry is not on the list. It is active in this state.
Are you thinking about football or basketball? The article refers only to basketball.

If you are thinking football I totally agree. You have to live in Alabama to comprehend just how intense the rivalry between Alabama and Auburn really is....these schools literally hate each other.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 12-25-2020 08:21 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
M.M.
I was not thinking at all. However, you are correct about the importance of football in the rivalry in this state.

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com