TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » KSR article on Cal;s coaching

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: KSR article on Cal;s coaching
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 12-20-2020 04:52 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From KSr;

You see, the reason Calipari waited so long to put Allen in the game is because there are players ahead of him in the rotation who, and I quote, “need to be able to miss shots.”

“I could’ve done it today, but I’m giving these guys that are in front of him the room that they need to be able to miss shots,” Calipari said of Allen following Kentucky’s fifth consecutive loss of the season. “We go in practice and they make shots, but they aren’t making them in the game. It’s not, “I come out every time I miss a shot,” obviously you guys know that’s not true. You try to give them room and encourage them to shoot.”

Is it obvious that’s not true, though? Or just for the five-star talents at the top of the rotation who launch brick after brick without having to look over their shoulders once with concern of being yanked from the lineup?

“We’ve got guys, I tell them in huddles, “If you don’t shoot the ball, I’m taking you out,”‘ Calipari added.

Must be nice to be in that position, huh?

In the limited time he has been on the floor, Allen has hit two of six attempts from three in just 19 total minutes, but has also racked up four turnovers – he had three alone in four minutes against Georgia Tech – and has had his own share of slip-ups on the defensive end of the floor.

It’s the same situation we’ve dealt with over the years with the likes of Baker, Juzang, Mulder and Willis, among others. Miss a shot? See-ya. Turnover? Unacceptable. Give up a basket? To the bench you go, no questions asked.

Remember the time Baker fouled on a 3-pointer in the first half of Kentucky’s Elite Eight matchup against Auburn back in 2019, followed by Calipari screaming, “I can’t play you!” at the top of his lungs? The short-leashed sharpshooter sat on the bench the entire second half and overtime of the loss before putting his name in the transfer portal 17 days later.

After taking his talents to Arizona, Baker is now averaging 16.7 points per game on 52.2% shooting overall, 47.6% from three and 88.9% from the free throw line. His biggest performance of the year came in a 33-point effort against Northern Arizona where he knocked down a ridiculous seven of nine attempts from three. He’s followed it up with three consecutive double-digit scoring performances, including 29 points and eight 3-pointers against Stanford Saturday evening.

The former Wildcat went on to earn Pac-12 Player of the Week honors on Dec. 14, and he may be on his way to another this week.

Speaking of Juzang, who UK was supposed to play today before the last-minute schedule change, he just finished with 13 points – second on the team – to go with three rebounds, two assists and one steal in the other CBS Sports Classic matchup between UCLA and Ohio State. He started the year injured with a stress reaction in his right foot and has only played in two games before tonight, but he still managed outings of nine and ten points, knocking down one 3-pointer in both.

He’s still finding his shot as he slowly gets back to full strength, but his coach believes he’s an instant offensive spark capable of making a strong impact for the Bruins this season.

“He’s a such a weapon with his ability to put it in the basket that it opens up the floor… ” UCLA head coach Mick Cronin said last week. “You have to guard him at all times. He’s a tremendous offensive weapon.”

How about Mulder, who came to Kentucky listed as the No. 18 junior college prospect in the nation after knocking down 46.3% of 3-point jumpers at Vincennes University? He played just 3.8 minutes per game as a junior and 10.6 minutes per game as a senior in 2015-16 and 2016-17, respectively.

Just tonight, the former Wildcat earned the final roster spot with the Golden State freaking Warriors. They love him there.

“He’s on the roster for a reason,” head coach Steve Kerr said of Mulder, via Connor Letourneau of the San Francisco Chronicle. “We really liked him a year ago. He was able to step in, play at a moment’s notice, knock down shots, defend and understand the game plan. We love Mike, and there’s a reason he’s still standing.”

Going on down the list, Willis averaged less than four minutes per contest in his first two years on campus before earning 18.6 minutes per game as a junior and 21.9 minutes per game as a senior. He combined to shoot 40.1% from three those final two seasons as a Wildcat. More opportunities allowed for greater success, and that only happened with three years of patience. Even then, quick-trigger yanks remained common.

I’m sensing a trend here.

“What Dontaie needs to do is stay ready so when his opportunity comes, bang, he takes advantage of it,” Calipari said this afternoon. “We’ve had it happen before to guys, and that’s what he’s got to do.”

Sure, his opportunity will come at some point, and he’ll likely take advantage of it. You don’t average 43 points per game in high school and forget how to score. But will that opportunity come at Kentucky?

Unfortunately, Calipari’s track record with similar players in similar situations screams no.

After all, the elite practice shooters need their reps, right? They need room to miss shots.

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 12-20-2020 07:09 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I’ve always felt Cal has too short of a lease on players who are not on his chosen list. If you’re not one of the predetermined chosen, pull your jock in the wrong direction and your on the bench.

[ 12-20-2020, 07:11 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5400 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 12-20-2020 08:10 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SCWC:
Remember the time Baker fouled on a 3-pointer in the first half of Kentucky’s Elite Eight matchup against Auburn back in 2019, followed by Calipari screaming, “I can’t play you!” at the top of his lungs? The short-leashed sharpshooter sat on the bench the entire second half and overtime of the loss before putting his name in the transfer portal 17 days later.

This is the part that gets me about Cal. The "I can't play you" phrase is only directed towards certain players every year. It usually doesn't apply to his 5-stars who are told up front that nothing is given and they have to earn their spot like everyone else.
Posts: 10342 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 12-20-2020 08:48 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This article is right on spot. Cal has a different set of rules for certain guys. Just think if we had a Juzang this year, or a Baker. What a difference those guys would make. Cal is all about the 5 stars and getting them to the NBA. THere's no way UK shouldn't have at least 2-3 championships in his time here. UNC, Villanova, UCONN, and Duke all have 2 championships in Cals time at UK. None of them have had more talent than UK. This year could be real bad in more ways than one. I could see a couple guys transferring, and a few going to the NBA(even though they aren't ready), which leaves us once again with no experience and relying on freshmen and transfers. That is not a recipe for success.
Posts: 5438 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 12-20-2020 12:24 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal just doesn't place a lot of value on shooters. He wants athletic 'scorers', because he thinks that what the NBA wants. And his whole ego is wrapped up in being the NBA's kindergarten teacher.

But the NBA definitely values great shooters. It always has a spot for them. Sure, it wants long, athletic scorers too. But the ability to put a 9.5" (diameter) sphere through an 18" (diameter) hoop is the basic skill of the game.

But, with Cal, notice that some of those players were not just "shooters", they were token Kentucky players. Yes, I said "token". He occasionally recruits one to keep the fans happy, but he plays his national recruits ahead of them year after year. And, that is despite how well they actually perform.

If I was a great high school player from the state of Kentucky, as much as I hate to say it, I wouldn't play for Cal.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13622 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 12-20-2020 09:18 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I also have my faults with Cal. The biggest fault I have is he either don't recruit the best white players or they aren't interested in UK because of what he does with his 5 stars, which are mostly black. That is what has been mentioned above. Willis is an example. He was not a 5 star and it took him 4 years to get his game going because of his lack of experience. Clarke is headed the same direction as the one who left at mid season last year. He couldn't get his game going under Cal even though he was a 5 star and finally gave up on college ball. Right now Cal has seen that Askew is not quite ready and Mintz is starting which he should have been doing from the beginning. Cal's talk about you must earn everything you get is a bunch of fancy malarkey. If you are the highest ranked 5 star YOU WILL PLAY.
Posts: 14161 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 12-21-2020 09:48 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ukman:
quote:
THere's no way UK shouldn't have at least 2-3 championships in his time here.
I completely agree. I count 3 championships he should have...his first season and the 38-1 team (2014 season I think). Those two teams were clearly the deepest and most talented in the country and should have taken it all.

The 38-1 team was particularly disappointing for me. Cal had more talent than he could play that year. When that team was "on" it was virtually unbeatable...definitely should have taken it all that year.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com