TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Terrence Clarke at point guard? Calipari says it’s a possibility

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Terrence Clarke at point guard? Calipari says it’s a possibility
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-04-2020 08:25 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Kentucky has a point guard problem right now, and John Calipari is scrambling to find an answer sooner rather than later.

Through three games, five-star freshman Devin Askew and Creighton graduate transfer Davion Mintz have both done solid things, specifically when it comes to scoring the basketball. The former is averaging 7.0 points, 2.7 rebounds and 2.3 assists per contest, while the latter is putting up 7.3 points, 1.7 assists and 1.3 rebounds per game.

Neither player, though, is shooting greater than 35% from the field overall and they are combining for 5.4 turnovers per contest.

Both have shown flashes of solid play, but it’s clear Calipari is tinkering with their roles and searching for more, at least early in the season. One of those potential new options? 6-foot-7 wing Terrence Clarke, who is currently averaging 11.0 points on 43.3% shooting to go with 4.3 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.3 steals per game.

Clarke experimented with the role to open the season against Morehead State, something he felt “comfortable and confident” in doing.

“(I’ll do it) as much as the team needs me to do it,” Clarke said after the team’s season-opening victory. “I think we have a great point guard in Devin Askew, and Davion Mintz is our backup point guard too, but I’ve been playing the two here and whenever the team needs me to play the one, I’ll be as comfortable and confident as I need to be. I’ve had reps in practice too, so today I went out there and had some reps at the one.”

With his obvious versatility and raw talent, Clarke would be ready to take the reins if Calipari asked him to do so.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186362 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 12-04-2020 10:23 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am certainly not an expert in ball movement, but the other four player on the floor cold help with their positioning and motion.
Posts: 845 | From: Cullman, AL, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
1 Catlanta Fan
Player
Member # 1526

posted 12-05-2020 08:05 AM      Profile for 1 Catlanta Fan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
they need to watch Gonzaga films, good example of Team ball and movement without the ball.
Posts: 141 | From: Huntsville, AL | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 12-05-2020 10:28 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If they aspire to be NBA players, they should look at any NBA team for the importance of spacing and ball movement.

Yes, the NBA does a lot of clearouts for one-on-one moves, but that is what spacing allows. Imagine if we spaced the floor, made crisp passes, and let Boston go one-on-one with his defender. Unstoppable.

Spacing is easy, but it sure isn't natural. Cal should go straight-up dribble-drive with this team, which practically forces good spacing. Then he can add other sets once they finally "get it".

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13633 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 12-05-2020 10:31 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
1 Catlanta Fan,

Yes, Gonzaga does a great job of spacing. So does Villanova. But the very best that I have seen are the GS Warriors in the NBA. Spacing, rotating, back-filling open spots, and great shot selection are hallmarks of that team. Everybody knows exactly where their teammates will be; there is no need to stop and find somebody. Their spacing allows not only great looks from deep, but it makes the pick-and-roll deadly effective and makes for easy back-door cuts.

[ 12-05-2020, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13633 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 12-05-2020 12:00 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tiptree:
1 Catlanta Fan,

But the very best that I have seen are the GS Warriors in the NBA. Spacing, rotating, back-filling open spots, and great shot selection are hallmarks of that team. Everybody knows exactly where their teammates will be; there is no need to stop and find somebody. Their spacing allows not only great looks from deep, but it makes the pick-and-roll deadly effective and makes for easy back-door cuts.

Agree. Surprisingly the Atlanta Hawks are not far behind the Warriors in the Spacing department. I think have the extreme deep threats of Curry and Young help those teams space the floor even more and better.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11588 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com