TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Did Cal let EJ Montgomery’s NBA Draft decision slip?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Did Cal let EJ Montgomery’s NBA Draft decision slip?
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-14-2020 09:16 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Following Nick Richards’ decision to enter the NBA Draft, the only Kentucky Wildcat with a decision to make regarding his basketball future is sophomore forward EJ Montgomery.

Or does he?

In a National Association of Basketball Coaches webinar on Monday, Kentucky head coach John Calipari let it slip that only two Wildcats would be returning next season from the 2019-20 roster.

With Keion Brooks Jr. already announcing his return for a sophomore year, along with Dontaie Allen’s anticipated return, one could assume this does not include the 6-foot-10 forward out of Fort Pierce, FL.

“I have two returning players from last year’s team … ,” said Calipari, via Jerry Tipton of the Lexington Herald-Leader. “We’re going to be a totally different team playing a totally different way.”

Has Montgomery has already privately let his intentions be known to the Kentucky coaching staff? Or is Calipari simply anticipating the jump from his sophomore forward based on prior knowledge? A gut feeling?

This goes in line with what we’ve been saying on the most recent editions of the Sources Say Podcast, with Kyle Tucker of The Athletic driving the point home even further this afternoon: the writing is on the wall for Montgomery to join Kentucky’s other four draft entrants in Ashton Hagans, Tyrese Maxey, Immanuel Quickley, and Richards.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 04-15-2020 12:21 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Next year could be a tough year. Losing 8 players is a big hit.
Posts: 5437 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-15-2020 12:33 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
unman, I agree. I didn’t think Harms would be an essential addition to this team. However if Montgomery goes he would be a big addition to what is looking like a weak front line.
Posts: 5398 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-15-2020 12:59 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Granted the first half of the season probably won't be that stellar however would bet we will get better as the season progresses. That's were good coaching is really needed and Cal the man that can do just that.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 04-15-2020 02:44 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think we need Haarms now. We have no bigs.
Posts: 5437 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 04-15-2020 02:54 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I do not and never will understand bringing in 4-5 new players every year (8-9 possibly this year). I don't know how y'all do it. Love getting to know players (I know some have to go after their freshman year but not a whole team).
I also do not and never will understand coaches asking kids to reclassify !!! To me that is crazy and my kid would never go to college after his or her junior year in HS.

MEL

Posts: 2795 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-15-2020 07:59 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Looks like Cal knew what he was saying and now with no front line it's wide open for Haarms and Cisse to walk right in and set up camp.
Posts: 14153 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 04-16-2020 12:49 AM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MEL:
I do not and never will understand bringing in 4-5 new players every year (8-9 possibly this year). I don't know how y'all do it. Love getting to know players (I know some have to go after their freshman year but not a whole team).
I also do not and never will understand coaches asking kids to reclassify !!! To me that is crazy and my kid would never go to college after his or her junior year in HS.
Mel, as bad of year that unc had this year, I bet you would like to see 8 or 9 new players.

MEL

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9779 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-16-2020 06:31 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mel, I doubt if there are many UK fans that enjoy our yearly turn over of players. IMO, to avoid this you have to recruit lesser or 2nd tier players. It’s frustrating as a fan but I believe you have to recruit the best available and roll the dice. I know your team does not necessarily have this mind set and some years it works out for you and others not so much but you get to enjoy your players for a while. Some years I’m just learning to pronounce our players names correctly and they’re gone.

UK is almost always in the mix for the one of best teams in the nation. Obviously it doesn’t always compute to a National Championship. One and done is frustrating not only for UK fans but for all of college basketball.

I agree with you about reclassification.

[ 04-16-2020, 06:32 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5398 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 04-16-2020 12:06 PM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know someone that sat next to EJ's parents at the Georgia game in Athens and were pissed off of how Cal was coaching their son. They were even yelling at him but told me that they were far enough back that coach couldn't hear them.
Posts: 1497 | From: Wimauma, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 04-16-2020 03:25 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
HC … Coach Williams goes after a lot of the one and done type players but that isn't all he recruits. He gets put down for not going after the top kids but he does go after them just doesn't get as many as dook and uk which is fine with me (you have to go after the best but sometimes it is the second, third and fourth best that make you the best team you can be).
I will be so glad when the one and done is over and done with … get back to the kids that want to go to school and will stay awhile (even though there will be kids that do real well and leave early).
Jalen Green going to the G League (reportedly for $500,000 and a shoe contract instead of going overseas or to college will change somethings also !!! Isiah Todd looks to be doing the same thing. UNC was on him from the start but backed off over time because it was apparent he was looking to be one and done or overseas no matter what. He committed to Michigan and now has decommitted. I wish them well but I really like the 2, 3 and 4 year players like the Joel Berry's, Theo Pinson's Luke Maye's of the college basketball world.

MEL

Posts: 2795 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com