TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Lonzo Ball conundrum

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lonzo Ball conundrum
rupps runt65
Player
Member # 1286

posted 03-20-2017 09:11 AM      Profile for rupps runt65   Email rupps runt65   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Who's going to cover this monster, 6-6 guard who can stroke it and go inside. I fear him posting up our smaller guards and getting Fox into foul trouble. My guess is go at HIM with Fox or Monk and try and get him into early foul trouble. Another thing, Humphreys will have to play some big boy minutes because Bam can't do it all inside, they have a big front court. Willis will need to wade in and get at least 8-10 rebounds too. And for goodness sake...Monk had to find his shot again!!!
Posts: 860 | From: jacksonville, fl. u.s.a. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-20-2017 09:29 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think we will beat UCLA. Gut feeling, we owe them for getting us in Rupp.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 03-20-2017 09:31 AM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Brisco and Hawkins will probably get Ball. And yes, Willis has to keep rebounding and playing the defense he has played lately.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2254 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 03-20-2017 09:34 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would start Briscoe on him. He is pretty good defensely and if he gets in foul trouble it's not as big a deal as Fox or Monk.
Posts: 5398 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 03-20-2017 10:33 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The bigger question I have is are we going to switch everything like last time? That is what killed us int he first game. They scored so many points off creating a mismatch, and then abusing us on it. Leaf and Welsh each scored the majority of their points with smaller players on them. I sure hope they actually watch game film this week and go into this game with a plan to execute. If we switch on everything there will be no way we win the game. IT also allowed them to get alot of put backs because the posts just rebounded over our smaller guards. We will also need to mix things up a little imo. I don't think it is best to just play straight man the entire game. It will definitely be a tough game for us to win. We will have to be at our best.
Posts: 5436 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 03-20-2017 11:34 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am afraid this will be our swan song. Hope I'm wrong but the way we have played for two months has made me understand we just have a good team of 5* players who are too inconsistent. Maybe they will be rested and ready to go and we will shoot about 55% on all shots, including 3's. Leaf is one of those players lost by Cal that I think he would have loved to have signed.
Posts: 14151 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-20-2017 12:45 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We have got much better going thru the screens that under them which cost us last time. The only one who really switches is Bam the others hedge for a second then return to their man.

That is one thing Coach has worked on since the last UCLA game.

We win by 7!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
rupps runt65
Player
Member # 1286

posted 03-20-2017 01:10 PM      Profile for rupps runt65   Email rupps runt65   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree, they have fought through the screens much better, but I also believe they will have to mix in some zone and some press. The press seems to get people out of their rythum
Posts: 860 | From: jacksonville, fl. u.s.a. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-20-2017 01:38 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
they will kill us if we go zone - they have too many good long range shooters. just my opinion

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-20-2017 02:06 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree - I think zone will kill us. I think the key to victory will be guarding the 3-point line. If we do that we can win.
Posts: 10340 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 03-20-2017 02:16 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree, we should not play zone against UCLA or very very little. Just my opinion, but I think a zone defense is "primarily" for teams that don't have the athletes to play man to man. Please note I said primarily, a zone has it's place at times but if you have athletes I believe your primary defense should be man to man.
Posts: 5398 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
rupps runt65
Player
Member # 1286

posted 03-20-2017 02:40 PM      Profile for rupps runt65   Email rupps runt65   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm just saying mix it in for a set or two, same with press, just to give a different look here and there
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-20-2017 03:03 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with the press. I still don't know why we didn't full-court press Wichita St. They only played two guards and I believe we could've forced them into a ton of turnovers with the press.
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 03-20-2017 05:26 PM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
UCLA is an above average offensive team, but below average defensive team. I think our defense has improved since December and we'll need one of our best efforts to slow them down. It should be a humdinger of a game. Go Big Blue!!!

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-20-2017 11:15 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To be honest, I don't care who guards Lonzo because you are not going to be able to contain and stop him.

The key to beating UCLA will be to contain and control Leaf and not to leave Alford for wide open threes.

The last thing I would do would be to press UCLA. That plays right into UCLA and Lonzo Ball's hand. Sprint back on defense and make them work for shots.

[ 03-20-2017, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 03-21-2017 06:47 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree Trey, except I think you maybe press just in a couple spurts, and only if you need to change things. The key to their team is Leaf, Welsh. Lonzo will get his, but i do think you make him work like a dog to get the ball in the half court. The more you keep it out of his hands, the better our chances will be. And force Welsh to have to post up and do a post move. He is much better away from the basket and shooting a jumper.
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-21-2017 07:19 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If Cal didn't put on the press against Wichita St, he sure as heck ain't gonna do it against UCLA. We're wasting our time with this conversation. [Smile]
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 03-21-2017 08:15 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe that Kentucky is a much better team, defensively, than at the start of the season. I like UK for the win by 9 points.
Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 03-21-2017 01:04 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
UCLA is a 4 pronged offense, Leaf, Welsh, Ball & Alford. You must shut down 2 of the prongs to stand a chance. The biggest part of the way to win is have a great shooting percentage. I'd say that's where we will lose if we do lose. We can control our defense when we want to. Fox can't continually folow his man like he did in the last game. Fox has started relying on someone un der the basket to stop his man. The only defense he played in the last game was out around the 3 pt line. Hope we can find a way to win it but I am very doubtful. I'm promising to keep my mouth shut during this game and let them play it without my coaching. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14151 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 03-21-2017 02:55 PM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you are going to press, your back line defense better be stellar and it would help if you had a rim protector.....we have neither, I would not press UCLA unless it was in a very short spurt when ball was out of the game.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2254 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-21-2017 03:43 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you had noticed coach is now using a trap in the half court more than he has in the past. Trapping Ball every once in a while might cause them to make a few mistakes!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

rupps runt65
Player
Member # 1286

posted 03-21-2017 03:49 PM      Profile for rupps runt65   Email rupps runt65   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Agree Ga. Cat, I just mean throw one in there here and there, even a passive press just to get them out of their rythum and make them hurry against the shot clock and maybe take a bad shot. I'm afraid that switch defense of ours is going to end up with a guy like Leaf or the other big posting up on one of our guards. It's happened all year long. If the guards don't fight through those screens their gonna had us our heads,imo...
rupps runt65
Player
Member # 1286

posted 03-21-2017 03:54 PM      Profile for rupps runt65   Email rupps runt65   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
UKCATFANNFL, Exactly right...And it worked.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-21-2017 08:04 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Our defense allowed UCLA to shoot 53% from the field and 43.5% from the 3 point line in Rupp. If we don't play defense any better than that we don't deserve to beat them. I don't think Cal will let that happen two times in a row and he will have our Cats ready to play some good D this time around.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 03-22-2017 01:27 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hope they have watched some film this week to prepare. That is a huge help imo.

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com