TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » What's wrong with the Cats

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's wrong with the Cats
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-22-2017 09:01 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Article from ESPN on our current Cats, it does make some good points:

quote:

Before this season, John Calipari's squads all shared a defensive trait, even as he tinkered with his offensive schemes to fit his personnel. Kentucky teams protect the rim. That's what they do. That's what they usually do. But this season's Kentucky squad has allowed its opponents to make 48.6 percent of their shots inside the arc. The team's SEC opponents have made 50.1 percent of their shots inside the arc this season, 11th in the league. The 38-1 Kentucky squad in 2014-15 allowed only a 39.1 percent success rate inside the arc. The Anthony Davis-led national title team in 2011-12? Only 39.6 percent. On Saturday, Georgia made 62.5 percent of its 2-pointers against Kentucky even though big man Yante Maten played just two minutes due to injury. J.J. Frazier (9-for-15 inside the arc), a shifty 5-10 guard, attacked Kentucky on straight-line drives throughout the game and nearly led Georgia to a win. According to hoop-math.com, Kentucky's opponents have connected on 61.6 percent of their attempts at the rim, making the Wildcats 235th nationally in rim protection. They're tied for first place with Florida, the same Florida that whipped them by 22 points in their first matchup, at 12-2 in the SEC, days before Saturday's rematch in Lexington, Kentucky. In that game, and during the NCAA tournament, Kentucky's problems with interior defense could cost Calipari's talented team the SEC crown and limit its time in the postseason.
quote:

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 02-22-2017 09:21 AM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There is no doubt that this team lacks defensive intensity. How many bunnies have they given up underneath our opponents goal on an inbounds play? Pick and roll has killed us all year too. Not sure this team will get very far in March. Talent can only carry them so far. I'm holding out hope that the "light" will come on eventually. Still love my Cats, though. Go Big Blue!!!

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-22-2017 09:25 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have to agree they have a big problem unless they cat change their spots overnight. But we all know leapords can't change their spot. Let's hope these cats can change them. I have just about determined that these cats can not concentrate long enough to play defense consistently. Is it a head problem? Is it just laziness? Do they really have the capability to play solid defense? Has Cal just got too many guys on one team that won't play defense? Whatever it is the day of reaconing (sp) is very near. Do we let FL beat us and take the regular season? Do we go downhill and lose the tourney also? How about getting past the first weekend in the NCAA's? It's time to S--- or get off the pot as the old proverb says.
Posts: 14153 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-22-2017 09:29 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
EC we have been saying every year since Cal arrived that until they GET IT they won't go very far. It's awful late in the season for a Cal team not to have gotten it. I think it would be a miracle if they get now.
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 02-22-2017 09:56 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
unless cal sits briscoe we will continue our woes. I know some here like him but we have no outside shooting if the 4 position is not hitting their shots.

How many times in the past seasons have you heard "pack it in and make them beat us fm the 3 area"? Fox driving in a half ct set is a non factor(only transition) early on as he has only Monk to pass out to and if Monk is off there is no one else.

Mulder needs to play to at least give us another threat from long range!!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 02-22-2017 10:48 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Missouri defended the pic and roll. As bad as they are, they made some switches that were lightning quick on defense. They didn't have UKs size but still defended well

PG defense is a concern. Help defense is bad.

With all that talent, they just need more effort on D.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 02-22-2017 12:21 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ed,

I agree. Briscoe brings some intangibles, but he has become an offensive liablity in too many games. We definitely need two 3-point shooters to space the defense on the arc. Between Monk, Mulder, and Willis, two of the three need to be on the court and 'on' from long-range. If none of them can hit the three, then try Briscoe.

Putting two legitimate scoring threats on the arc opens up the lane for Fox to penetrate and either score or dish, and gives Bam more freedom to run the baseline and get the occasional lob. I like the Fox-Monk-Willis-Gabriel-Bam lineup; it gives us great size, good rebounding, some interior defense, and offensive explosiveness.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13619 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 02-22-2017 02:04 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
100% agree with you tip

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 02-22-2017 02:54 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Although I still think Mulder is a one dimensional spot up shooter, his defense and hustle is getting better. If he has a hot shooting night, he should get a lot of minutes, until he cools down.
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-22-2017 05:18 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree completely on the 3 point shooting. Right now it seems Monk, Willis, Mulder and Gabriel are all inconsistent. Willis and Monk have proven this. They both have made 5 three pointers in a game. But when they are missing like last night we are in big trouble making Fox have to drive it. Gabriel has shown he can hit 2 or 3 of them in a game but he has not shot all that many. And as was said, Mulder doesn't see emnough floor time to get hot. Right now our main offense is Fox or Briscoe driving or Bam dunking. That will not get you to the end of March.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-22-2017 06:40 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We have 4 players that have shot over 55 3-point shots for the season. Below is the players and their stats.

1. Monk 85-208 40.9%
2. Mulder 30-74 40.5%
3. Willis 33-86 38.4%
4. Gabriel 20-57 35.1%

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 02-23-2017 09:30 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like the Fox, Monk, Willis, Gabriel, Bam lineup; if we play some zone. I would then put Mulder in for Willis or Gabriel, Briscoe and Hawkins could spell Monk and Fox, and then Humphries for Bam, or occasionally go small and move Gabriel to the 5 and play zone. I think having Fox, Monk, Mulder, Willis, and Gabriel would be interesting, especially if they were hitting. Talk about being able to space the floor and open up some lanes for Fox. I would like to see that group, but I doubt I will.
Posts: 5437 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-24-2017 07:16 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by catmandoo:
We have 4 players that have shot over 55 3-point shots for the season. Below is the players and their stats.

1. Monk 85-208 40.9%
2. Mulder 30-74 40.5%
3. Willis 33-86 38.4%
4. Gabriel 20-57 35.1%

This is why I get so irked when Fox and Briscoe start jacking up 3-pointers. Our first two shots against Missouri where 3-pointers from Fox and Briscoe. Not sure why Cal puts up with it.

[ 02-24-2017, 07:17 AM: Message edited by: PaulCat ]

Posts: 10340 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-24-2017 10:21 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We tend to start slowly and poorly. Such as a bad pass or running out of time and jacking it up by someone who shouldn't be taking the first shot. But that comes from the opponent starting with a tough defense.
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-24-2017 10:33 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We tend to start slowly and poorly. Such as a bad pass or running out of time and jacking it up by someone who shouldn't be taking the first shot. But that comes from the opponent starting with a tough defense.
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-25-2017 06:17 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We also go as Monk goes. I hate to say it but if he isn't scoring we aren't winning!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123979 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 02-26-2017 10:05 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by m hamilton:
We also go as Monk goes. I hate to say it but if he isn't scoring we aren't winning!

Monk is the most explosive scoring freshman that has ever worn a Kentucky uniform. The team needed him and he came through against the Gators. They are getting Bam more involved and that gives them a great one two punch.

If they can keep the low percentage guys from jacking up shots to start the games, they won't have to fight so hard to win. Would like to see the 3 pointers be taken by Monk and Willis at the start, feed Bam down low, and have Fox and Briscoe drive and score or kick out.

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 02-26-2017 11:25 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I suppose it's true that this team "goes as Monk goes." I like Monk but think we will be in real trouble if we go into the tournament depending on Monk to carry us. IMO, he is way too inconsistent and one dimensional for us to go very deep in the tournament with that mind set. If his scoring is off, he almost becomes a liability if not for the attention he draws defensely from the opponent.

I believe we are a completely different team with Fox on the floor and think he may be the key to a deep tournament run. If only he would cut that dang man bun off. He's beginning to remind me of that girl who played for Florida a few years back.

[ 02-26-2017, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5398 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 02-26-2017 11:50 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by handycat:
I suppose it's true that this team "goes as Monk goes." I like Monk but think we will be in real trouble if we go into the tournament depending on Monk to carry us. IMO, he is way too inconsistent and one dimensional for us to go very deep in the tournament with that mind set. If his scoring is off, he almost becomes a liability if not for the attention he draws defensely from the opponent.

I believe we are a completely different team with Fox on the floor and think he may be the key to a deep tournament run. If only he would cut that dang man bun off. He's beginning to remind me of that girl who played for Florida a few years back.

I am not an expert, but I think MOnk is the most complete offensive player that Kentucky has. One dimensional is how I would describe Mulder. If anyone calls Monk one dimensional, they just aren't seeing the the games the way I do. He can spot up shoot, drive, fast break, pass, and create his own shot. His defense is getting better. Also, he is now rebounding where before it wasn't a priority for him. No, he is not perfect and makes mistakes at times. But, he has flashes where he completely dominates games. He is the type of player that UK used to not be able to recruit, before Calipari.
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 02-26-2017 12:47 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree that Monk is our most complete offensive player and we're lucky to have him. My complaint with him is when his scoring is off he does little to contribute in other areas of the game. Yes his defense and rebounding is improving but IMO has a ways to go.
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 02-26-2017 02:28 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by handycat:
I agree that Monk is our most complete offensive player and we're lucky to have him. My complaint with him is when his scoring is off he does little to contribute in other areas of the game. Yes his defense and rebounding is improving but IMO has a ways to go.

I agree. I would think that most players don't have college level defensive skills as freshmen. One would think that the star players dont have to put that much effort into defense in high school, because they can take a game over anytime they want. The up side is that he has the most talent that I have seen in a Kentucky uniform. The down side is that he is only a freshman and that he won't be here, next season.
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 02-26-2017 08:09 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What I like most about him now is that he is starting to do the other things that win games. He is rebounding much better, and he is playing better defense, and passing the ball better.
Posts: 5437 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
FlaCatz
Player
Member # 925

posted 02-27-2017 10:24 AM      Profile for FlaCatz   Email FlaCatz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Personally, I think they are and have progressed like highly touted freshmen...... #1 Recruiting classes don't necessarily translate into #1 Teams..... We have become spoiled and unrealistic in assuming/expecting Top 5 performance from 18-19 year old kids every night,, 34 games a year........

Is it frustrating.... Absolutely!! add to it you add 3-5 NEW kids every year... and 1 National Title every 14.35 years is the historic average..

It's Like reminding your child the trash needs to go out EVERY Tuesday night.... and then Wednesday morning as you back out the driveway, you don't happen to see any trash cans at the curb... You look in the mirror, and you see Coach Cal's sideline expression

Enjoy these kids, pass or fail..... They are STILL kids.... and they're OURS !

[ 02-27-2017, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: FlaCatz ]

--------------------
Pray for our Service Members and their families left behind!

Posts: 8880 | From: Lawrenceburg, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-27-2017 10:55 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
But it's like they're foster kids. You watch them for a little while and then they move on.
Posts: 10340 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-27-2017 11:20 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
At this time of year you just about know what to expect from each of them. Sometimes some of them end up doing a little more. So now we should just sit back and nsee if each persons normal participation is there or is some of them doing a little mor..............or less. This is not Cal's best team but it is still good enough if they all provide their part each game. We may have only 7 games left in this season or we could have 11 games left. They are the ones who hold their destiny.
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 02-27-2017 12:51 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good post FlaCatz!

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com