TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Ky vs Fla Box score/UGLY

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ky vs Fla Box score/UGLY
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-05-2017 03:12 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Box Score

The man to man defense Briscoe played on Kasey Hill when they were not in a zone made Hill look like an All American point guard. This is just not a good defensive team and this is one Cal said before the season would probably be his best. Lots of athleticsim on this team but they just don't seem to like trying to play defense or rebounding.

[ 02-05-2017, 05:25 AM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
ALA_KAT2
Player
Member # 1559

posted 02-05-2017 10:27 AM      Profile for ALA_KAT2   Email ALA_KAT2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Willis and Gabriel combined for 10 rebounds in 31 minutes. Bam got 7 in 33 minutes. Rest of team got very few. Cal has not been able to get Fox and Monk involved in the rebounding.
Also, there have to be some plays run for Willis and Mulder to get off more 3's. The trouble is that Fox. Monk and Adabayo don't seem to see them when they're open. When the AAU style ball is not working this team struggled mightily on offense and some guys are not playing defense. Right now, this is one of Cal's worst teams. Not THE worst, but leadership and discipline seem to be missing.

--------------------
Adair CHS 1966/USAF/WKU/AT&T

GO BIG BLUE!

Posts: 4046 | From: Louisville, KY | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 02-05-2017 10:34 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Which team is worse than this one? If you are speaking of the NOel team that was only because he got hurt...

I have been to all the ky fl games and this is the worse I have seen...

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-05-2017 11:08 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This team is definitely in the running for one of Cal's worst teams. This team plays atrocious defense. There is basically no inside game on offense. We will basically go as far a 3-point shooting will take us.

If not for two out-of-this-world performances by Monk, this team would be 17-7. Our best win would be a home victory over #24 South Carolina.

[ 02-05-2017, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: PaulCat ]

Posts: 10340 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 02-05-2017 11:29 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
so true paul - if monk gets "only" 40 against nc and 30 against Ga we get our butts kicked all over the place...

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-05-2017 12:55 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Right now I will be happy if Fox, Monk and Adebayo all opt for the draft. After just about killing myself over the last 4 or 5 games, and my wife telling me to shut up or leave the room, I've decided hope for this team making it to the second weekend of the NCAA's is almost nil. They'll have to do a complete change from what we've seen the last couple weeks. They don't pay enough attention to what they are doing and make numerous mistakes. Monk seems to think it is funny, or so you would think from watching him on the bench. It looks like these guys would wake up and realize they are letting money slip right out of their hands by playing like this. Bam is already approaching the bottom of the first round in the draft and will probably end up there if he doesn't start learning to do something besides dunk the ball. That's probably caused in part by Cal not having anyone to do that last year. I fully expect to see Fox and Monk also slide in the rankings also. We'll have to run the table to ensure we get at least a 4 seed in the tourney now. I couldn't believe some of the words Bilas used about these guys last night during the game. Has he become such a great fan of &UK that he doesn't see what is happening in the game? [Mad]
Posts: 14151 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 02-05-2017 02:59 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Zero chance of Fox falling out of the Lottery unless he gets injured and no chance of Monk falling further than #15 because he is way to good offensively.

BAM is the only risk and his body only and future development will keep him in the 1st round as well IMO.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-05-2017 03:49 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bam is simply Poythress with a few more inches and a worse jump shot. If the draft was today I'd bet a lot of money that Bam doesn't go in the first round. 6'9" and 230 pounds is nothing in the NBA if you have no offensive game. The Euro leagues are full of players a lot taller who can actually play point guard.
Posts: 10340 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 02-05-2017 07:33 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal is ultimately responsible for what we are seeing on the court. He lets Monk get away with way too much. If guys aren't hustling then he needs to take them out, doesn't matter who they are. This player first crap is old. I am ready for a university first attitude, and a team first attitude. It is also up to him to get us to run an offense in the half court, and actually run some plays to get guys the shots they can make. I am just so disappointed in what I have been watching the last few weeks, and Cal needs to fix it. It' is his job to fix it. I am taking my son to the Alabama game next Saturday and I certainly don't want him to see the crap we have been putting out on the floor. Cal needs to get hold of this team and start making them play for each other, and play stinking defense. If your not going to play defense take them out and put someone else in that will work their tail off. When you get paid as much as he does, and have all this top talent every year, then he needs to be held to a higher standard than other coaches. If he can't win with young talent then he needs to rethink his own process and evaluate it. That is just how it is.
Posts: 5436 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 02-05-2017 07:42 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just looked up the video of Monk laughing on the bench when we were down 19, and Briscoe looked to be laughing with him. Our so called leader was also laughing. That makes me so angry I want to cuss all over this board, but I don't cuss. I would be happy if neither one of them started the next game, and I hope they run until they puke. That is absolutely ridiculous. To get beat down that bad, have other guys in finishing up for your sorry effort, and then you sit there and laugh it up as your team is getting embarrassed. Monk just became my least favorite UK player of all time. I don't care how much he scores. He is going to have to earn back any respect from me through his defensive effort, and I don't know, maybe getting some rebounds. I know he is just a kid and all that, but to do that on the bench is just unacceptable.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-05-2017 08:49 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Willis plays for 18 minutes and goes 1-3 from the field.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-05-2017 08:53 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We go 14-23 from the free throw line and get "6" total offensive rebounds with not one player with more than 1 offensive board.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-06-2017 11:48 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal has to know all this and one would think these problems would be addressed.

--------------------

FairfieldCat
Player
Member # 2897

posted 02-06-2017 12:24 PM      Profile for FairfieldCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would sit all of the fab four. They can ride the bench the rest of the year for all I care. My wife who grew up on UK basketball refused to watch them five games ago.
Posts: 309 | From: Cincinnati | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
FairfieldCat
Player
Member # 2897

posted 02-06-2017 12:52 PM      Profile for FairfieldCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You guys know better than me. I never played any organized basketball. I do know you can't coach the uncoachable.
Posts: 309 | From: Cincinnati | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
bigbluerev
Player
Member # 1633

posted 02-06-2017 04:45 PM      Profile for bigbluerev     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have to disagree a little on the analysis of our defense and rebounding.

First on defense. The reality is, if you watch Cal's prior UK teams, the guards quite often got beat off the dribble. IMO we have seldom had good perimeter defense by our guards. The difference the last two years has been we have not had a rim protector presence like we did in other years. In past seasons when our guards got beat off the dribble, AD or Noel or WCS or Towns were there to clean it up. It was actually worked out pretty well to have a guard get to the basket because his shot would then be wiped away. Our best perimeter defenders were actually some of our bigs like WCS, AD and MKG. When they switched their quickness and length caused major issues for the opposing guards and they could recover to block a shot. We don't have that this year (or last). Our guards for the most part have not been good perimeter defenders since Cal has been here. The one thing past guards did do better than this crop is to fight through screens better. This crop of guards almost automatically switches on every screen, leaving Bam guarding on the perimeter and them guarding the opposing big. There are several ball screens our guards could have fought through.

As far as rebounding, it is a result of how we play, especially on the offensive end. When you watch our games we have 4 people on the perimeter on offense. Then we bring Bam out to set a high ball screen. So now we have 5 people on the perimeter essentially. The vast majority of the time when we put up a shot there is no one within 12 feet of the basket. There is no way we are going to be able to get an offensive rebound in that scenario - no matter who is playing; not AD, not KAT, not WCS, not big Cuz, no one. On the defensive end our rebounding problems are also associated to how we play defense. When we switch everything we end up with guards underneath and bigs out top. Whereas our opponents have just the opposite.

So, our defensive problems are not much of a surprise because we lack our typical rim protector and our rebounding problems are highly related to style of play.

--------------------
Personal Responsibility - stop looking to the government or anyone else to take care of you. www.GodMakesSense.com www.RefreshingRain.com

Posts: 1806 | From: Cold Spring, KY | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 02-06-2017 05:43 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with a lot bigbluerev says. We do not have a rim protector, as we have in some years past. However, even in years past that did hurt us some if the shot did get up to the board. Because our big would have come over it often left the other teams big open for an easy put back. Fortunately some of the names you mentioned were such good shot blockers that the ball never made it to the rim. My issue here is with the coach. The coach needs to coach the team to their strengths, and put them in the best position to succeed. If you don't have great perimeter defense, then maybe give the offense a step and force them to shoot a contested jumper instead of getting tight on the man and letting him drive by. The team can switch to multiple defenses to keep teams off balance. We have actually played some zone, but it is obvious that we need to work on it if we are going to run it. As far as the switching goes, Cal needs to take guys out if they just switch for no good reason. He can control the switching by putting guys on the bench when they continue to do it. A lot of these problems can be addressed by the coaching. It is their job to get the most of the guys they have recruited.

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com