TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Cal sick to his stomach after loss to Kansas

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cal sick to his stomach after loss to Kansas
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-31-2016 11:30 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Kentucky coach John Calipari knows his team should have won at Kansas instead of losing 90-84 in overtime and did not mince words after the game.

“I’m still hacked off that we lost,” Calipari said. “I’ll probably think of something that was good. We fought. But when you have a chance to win like we did, you choke it – every play is a winning play. It’s not just about missing free throws. OK, we missed, but I showed them tape this week of teams down nine – Virginia, showed them the end of that game. You’re never out of it. Just keep playing.

“It’s all part of the growth of this team and stuff that I have to do,” he continued. “I’ve got a lot of work to do. Really do. A lot of work to do. We were relying on one guy (Tyler Ulis). You can’t play that way, and I couldn’t get him enough of a break. I was going to take him out and the game was so close, he said, ‘Leave me in.’ Derek (Willis) getting in foul trouble really affected us. But I would say if you were watching the game, you’d probably say it was a heckuva game. … But I’m sick to my stomach.”

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-31-2016 01:02 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I now how he feels. We had the ball with 9 seconds to go in a tie game. Didn't even get a shot off. I would've at least liked to have had a chance with a winning shot attempt. We were that close.
Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
michigankat
Player
Member # 2775

posted 01-31-2016 02:53 PM      Profile for michigankat   Email michigankat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Coach will learn from this the same way the players need to learn.

--------------------
" A short pencil is better than a long memory" My good friend Jack Lengyel
Check out the greatest tailgating invention ever!
www.thetalegator.com

Posts: 454 | From: Birmingham, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-31-2016 08:00 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hope so..

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-31-2016 09:59 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I felt our strategy was locked in at the end of the game. They defended us well and we didn't make any change to counter it. I agree that the coach has to shoulder some of the responsibility for this loss. I am starting to believe that we are getting better now and the season is not lost yet. When you can play like we did against a team like this and have the lead for most of the game you should be able to learn and improve. I think the SEC is in for a big surprise from here on.
Posts: 14132 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 02-01-2016 07:52 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Cal coached an excellent game. To somehow blame Cal for Ulis's turnover is nothing short of ludicrous. He didn't miss free any throws. If Cal had a striped shirt on, I missed it. I don't complain about Refs very often but they were why we lost that game.
Posts: 5379 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-01-2016 08:46 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
handy, one play lasts about a second or two, no game is lost on one play. The game is 40 minutes long plus this game was even longer. We make one more free throw or they miss one free throw in regulation play and we would have won the game. Bottom line you can't pick out one play.

--------------------

ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 02-01-2016 11:32 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The refs were terrible and didn't help, but I never truly think refs cost anyone a game. I think where we really lost the game was on our offensive execution, or lack there of. We just didn't have an answer to that triangle defense. Our offense turned into way too much dribbling, and barely any ball movement. We never ran anything against it, other than the same pick on the wing play that never worked. We also didn't do anything to get Murray better looks in that second half. I thought that was a great move by Self, and we just didn't have an answer for it. We sure played hard though, and it was amazing that we had a chance to win it at the end.
Posts: 5424 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 02-01-2016 11:42 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ukman, If you don't think the referees cost us that game, we weren't watching the same game.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36266 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 02-01-2016 11:54 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The fact that the triangle-and-two worked so well is yet another testament to the value that Willis brings to this team. They couldn't do it with three potential scorers from the arc, but once Willis was out, the T+2 worked all too well.

Yes, Willis wasn't "on" against Kansas, but they still would have to respect his shot. Sure wish Briscoe could hit a respectable number of his threes!

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13596 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 02-01-2016 11:59 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Probably going to make some people mad so I'll apologize in advance. I honestly think if we had beat Kansas by 10 points there would be some on here who would insinuate that we would have beat them by 20 if only Cal knew how to coach.

[ 02-01-2016, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-01-2016 02:17 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Briscoe is a heck of a player but if he expects to make it to the next level he will really have to work on his 3 point shooting. He is shooting 15% on his 3's.

--------------------

ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 02-01-2016 02:52 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Norm, refs definitely hurt, I am just saying we still had our chances to win the game. Make some more shots here or there, get a rebound, etc. We had a lot to overcome with the refs, but felt we still could have won. Very proud of how they fought.
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 02-01-2016 02:57 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Handy, I assume you are referring to me and that is fine. No anger here. I have always said I feel that Cal is not that great at in game adjustments. He sure did something right to get them to keep playing close through all those fouls, but the fact does remain that we didn't adjust to their defense. Whether it was the players not executing, I don't know. I was just saying that I felt that switch in the 2nd half was a huge help to Kansas winning the game. I don't think anyone could deny that. We were never able to get in a flow on offense, and we ended up forcing a lot of shots late in the clock.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-01-2016 08:46 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ukman, something happened that second half and it's obvious by the stats:

First Half we shot 55.6% from the field Second Half 44.8%

First Half we shot 4-10 (40%) on 3 point shots Second Half 0-9 0%.

First Half we shot 8-11 (72.7) from the line Second Half we shot 4-6 (66.7)

We scored 46 points in the first half and 30 in the second half. I think it comes down to they made some good half time adjustments and the crowd got behind them and they won. Playing on the road in the SEC isn't easy.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-01-2016 09:43 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Playing on the road anywhere is tough. Just ask North Carolina after tonight!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123969 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-01-2016 10:12 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The points scored in each half tells the true story. We had 46 in the 1st and 30 in the second. That was the result of 3 things. 1. We didn't shoot as well in the second half. 2. That was because they changed defenses and put the triangle and 2 on us. 3. Cal didn't make a change from having Ulis drive it into 3 guys waiting for him. No wonder he lost the ball several times. He should have had him stop at the top of the key and either shoot, pass it to Skal for a shot or passed to the corner. They knew Ulis was going to drive it at the end and they were waiting for him. Him being tired didn't help either. The reason I said the loss was partly Cal's fault is because he didn't come up with a strategy to beat the triangle and 2 and now anyone who was watching us will probably give it a try also. So I just hope Cal realizes he has to come up with something to beat it. Losing 3 bigs at the end didn't help either.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-01-2016 10:37 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would hope the coaching staff goes over films with a fine tooth comb and look for things that need to be corrected. We didn't make the in game adjustments the second half like Bama pointed out and it cost us the game.

--------------------

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 02-02-2016 07:52 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote "The points scored in each half tells the true story. We had 46 in the 1st and 30 in the second. That was the result of 3 things. 1. We didn't shoot as well in the second half. 2. That was because they changed defenses and put the triangle and 2 on us. 3. Cal didn't make a change from having Ulis drive it into 3 guys waiting for him. No wonder he lost the ball several times. He should have had him stop at the top of the key and either shoot, pass it to Skal for a shot or passed to the corner. They knew Ulis was going to drive it at the end and they were waiting for him. Him being tired didn't help either. The reason I said the loss was partly Cal's fault is because he didn't come up with a strategy to beat the triangle and 2 and now anyone who was watching us will probably give it a try also. So I just hope Cal realizes he has to come up with something to beat it. Losing 3 bigs at the end didn't help either."

Is it possible there could be other reasons? Maybe like having twice the number of fouls called on us in the second half? Or how about having 3 of our bigs foul out? Does it have to be Cals poor coaching for every game we lose?

[ 02-02-2016, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 02-02-2016 09:39 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One last word on Cal's poor coaching and then I promise I'll keep my mouth shut forever or until someone says something I disagree with, whichever comes first.

Telling your coach "you can't coach but I never want you to leave" is like telling your wife "honey you're uglier than pig sh@t but I love you anyway". Neither goes over very well with the one being insulted.

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-02-2016 09:50 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Very good comparison. I did mention that we had 3 bigs foul out. But that doesn't stop you from trying something different than drive it into the waiting crowd. The dribbler has only 2 hands to control the ball and keep it away from 6 hands trying to take it. And I agree about the refs. I think they intentionally gave fouls to Willis and Lee to get them out of the game. This was one of the most one sided foul calling games I've ever seen. But we have to shoot better than we did in the second half even if the calls are bad. In my mind we have the better team and it does look like they are learning finally. Would love to see us run the table the rest of the SEC schedule but that will be a good trick to pull off.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-02-2016 11:06 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bama, we may not run the table but we certainly have the ability to close the season out strong. I think Cal will make the adjustments needed and can see us going into the NCAA tournament with a good seeding.

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com