TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » SCWC

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SCWC
Wildtut
Player
Member # 2225

posted 01-20-2016 04:19 PM      Profile for Wildtut   Email Wildtut   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
RAY DO YOU REMEMBER PETE GRIGSBY JR. HE PLAYED FOR KY 1953 AND 54 PLAYED FOR RUPP HE WAS FROM MARTIN HE PASS AWAY FEW DAYS AGO DONT KNOW IF YOU REMEMBER ARE NOT

--------------------
I was a young wildcat when i was born i be and old wildcat when i die

Posts: 1942 | From: Rock wood Michigan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-20-2016 05:16 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here's an article I found about him. He had a great life after an undefeated season at UK.

MARTIN – Floyd County native and former school Superintendent and coach, Pete Grigsby Jr. has passed away. He was 81.

Grigsby’s passing was confirmed early Monday morning by the Floyd County School Board, though no details have been released yet about his services.

Floyd County Superintendent Henry Webb was saddened by the news Monday morning.

“Pete is an individual who gave much of himself to the kids of Floyd county for over 40 years,” said Webb. “Obviously he will be missed.”

Webb said Pete’s family has been an important part of the community for a long time. “Our hearts go out to his family. Its a sad day.”

Grigsby, born in Bypro in August 25, 1934, he was a graduate of Martin High school and a first-team All-State in Basketball in 1952. A member of the 1953-54 University of Kentucky Basketball team which finished the season with a 25-0 record, and was a three year letterman in baseball.

He graduated from the University of Kentucky in 1957 with a degree in education. He completed a Masters degree in education in 1960.

Grigsby was a coach at McDowell High School from 1961-1974 and held a 73 percent win percentage with a 330-131 record. He was Floyd County Coach of the Year in 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1971, and 1973.

“He had a love of sports, and had a love of seeing kids participate in sports, and have success in sports,” said Webb. “He had a lot of energy about that and he will be missed for that.”

Grigsby worked in the Floyd County school system since 1961 until just a few years ago. During his time in the school system he worked as a superintendent, assistant superintendent, principal, teacher, and coach. Grigsby was reportedly still working calling basketball games for WPRG.

Posts: 14207 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-20-2016 05:34 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes Tut, I certainly remember you and I also remember Pete Grigsby very well. He was quite a player in his day, was 5 years ahead of me in school so I never got to play against him. I followed his career at UK and always felt I knew him even though I never got to actually meet him or talk with him. You know what it was like around McDowell, Maytown, Martin, Prestonsburg etc, all arch rivals in basketball and not very socially interwined when off the courts. I saw him play several times while he was in high school and had brothers who played against him and knew him pretty well, the age distance alone would have kept me from being a social friend of Pete's. He was a good man, a great basketball player and it is sad to see a good man like him leave us all. Thanks for the heads up Tut, I probably would not have know otherwise.

[ 01-20-2016, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com