TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Cal says Willis' defensive habits are "below" bad (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Cal says Willis' defensive habits are "below" bad
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-15-2016 04:18 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
John Calipari did not back off his criticism of junior Derek Willis Thursday during his pre-Auburn media opportunity.

Calipari said after Tuesday's win over Mississippi State that Willis might score points but he gave up far more.

Thursday the coach was asked if Willis was losing confidence on defense.

"You know what, it’s a great term. Like, you would say ‘confidence defensively?’ Yeah. Oh yeah. When you’re confident defensively you’ll let loose, but his habits are so bad, like what’s the word below so bad?," Calipari said.

"We’re working everyday for him to create better habits but they are what they are right now. He’s helped us in other ways though.”

What are bad habits?

“Hands, not lunging, hands are down. Knowing how we play late pick-and-rolls. Just fundamental things that he just doesn’t have. You go to guard a guy and he drives you can’t just turn sideways and let him drive. You have to get around and lunge to get in front of him so he’s gotta go through your chest," Calipari said.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186362 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-15-2016 04:26 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow.

In my opinion, that is over the line. Uncalled for. What f#!*%ing good is it going to do to publicly humiliate the guy every time he speaks?

Sorry, Cal, but this fan says "step back".

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13633 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
WildcatFanatic
Player
Member # 2932

posted 01-15-2016 05:19 PM      Profile for WildcatFanatic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He can't be all that bad or Cal wouldn't play him so much. He'll get better on D.
Posts: 1531 | From: Lexington, Ky | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-15-2016 05:27 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would like to have a dollar for every player Cal has criticized publically since he has been at Kentucky. I would have a lot of dollar bills!

--------------------

Posts: 186362 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-15-2016 05:38 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Willis is not a strong defensive player but Cal is taking this a bit too far. Just keep him on the bench but don't make the kid feel worse than he probably already does. I gave up on Willis' defense in the Miss State game but felt that he more than offset his defensive lapses with his outside shooting. Cal needs to be more positive with players like Willis, I think these things he is saying is just magnifying the situation and not very motivational to Willis.

I have never heard Cal go after any UK player in his years as our coach like he does Willis.

I feel like Tiptree does, time to back off Willis Cal.

[ 01-15-2016, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 01-15-2016 07:39 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just wish Cal would curtail public criticism of players. I think it is beneath him and the University of Kentucky.

Keep it in the locker room or at least on the court.

Posts: 5421 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-15-2016 08:50 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The first time I think I remember him doing it was to Jones. He called him a woose as I remember. But it wasn't long until Jones started playing a little tougher. But it all depends on the player whether that kind of talk can motivate him. I don't think it's going to work on Willis.
Posts: 14207 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 01-15-2016 10:17 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Usually I don't mind when a player gets called out. I honestly think its good for them and the team. Its accountability. Cal has taken the blame plenty of times... But his comments about Willis are running to close together even for me. I say just like the rest of you... If he isn't upholding your standard Coach, put him on the bench and work Humphries in or go small and run 4 guards with Lee and Poythress.

But I don't make 8 million dollars to make those calls so. So Ill move on and watch the game tomorrow. Im with you guys though. Enough is enough.

--------------------
RLTW!

Posts: 864 | From: Savannah Ga | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-15-2016 10:57 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Cal gave an honest answer to the question. Heck, the question basically insinuated that Willis can't play defense. And since everyone in the world can see it, why is it so bad to say it?

[ 01-15-2016, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: PaulCat ]

Posts: 10350 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-16-2016 04:45 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Quote from Coach Cal:
You know what, it’s a great term. Like, you would say ‘confidence defensively?’ Yeah. Oh yeah. When you’re confident defensively you’ll let loose, but his habits are so bad, like what’s the word below so bad?," Calipari said.
quote:

Quotes like that will not inspire any young man. I think Murray is our weakest team defensive player but he never gets singled out for constantly getting beat off the dribble. Like everyone said on this topic, enough public scrutiny, take it behind closed doors from now on. It may be an honest answer but it certainly is one Cal could have answered differently in a more positive way.

quote:

Quote from Willis.

“Honestly, I don’t know. Say you mess up in practice and stuff, and you have this thought in your head of ‘What if I can’t guard?’ All that stuff. It’s all in your mind and you just have to get it in practice or some other way and get back to where you were," Willis said.
quote:

Anyone who has ever played the game of basketball knows they need a pat on the back from their coach from time to time, find something good to say publically. From reading the Vaught article, I would say Cal started his press conference by making Willis his whipping boy, that is not right. Cal started all this by singling Willis out at halftime of the against Bama and it is time for him to let it go. Keep Willis on the bench if he is not playing up to par, don't make the young man feel any worse than he obviously does already. You can certainly tell by the Willis statement Cal has him rather lost and some of that blame goes to the coach, not just the player.

[ 01-16-2016, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 01-16-2016 08:48 AM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm certainly not a coach or round ball expert, but Murray's defense looks as bad as Derek's to me. How many times did Sword drive past him Tuesday night? I haven't heard Murray's name mentioned one time when it comes tombad D. Cal needs to be consistent at the very least.

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-16-2016 10:24 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is totally uncalled for. The coach should not publically humiliate a player. He has Willis questioning himself and afraid to play. He is not great on defense but there are others that are just as bad. He doesn't point out Murray, he has coddled skal. He hasn't ripped his effort or defense or play. Sometimes I really don't like our coach. Fine if he tells this to Willis one on one but not to the paper. U also want to do it in a way that they feel u are pulling for them. Maybe Willis feels cal wants him to succeed, I don't know. Sure not how u inspire a player. But who knows maybe he will become a great defender now and cal is pushing the right buttons. Just not how I like it.
Posts: 5446 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-16-2016 10:38 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What hurts is everything that he says is true about Willis on defense. I sit there and complain during the game, JUST GIVE SOME EFFORT and it would make me happy, which Derek never does on D.

Obviously the coaches have told him all of the basics, hands up, slide over, rebound with two hands, etc.

Maybe Cal has figured stating it publicly will get Derek's attention because obviously doing it via practice and private hasn't worked. It is amazing to me that Derek can't see the opportunity in front of him. Talented kid with skills, size, and athleticism, but his refusal to even give effort on the defensive end makes all of talent for useless. It just amazes me that he doesn't even try. I really think the kid is lazy and that goes back to the article last year when he said that himself.

[ 01-16-2016, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11588 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-16-2016 10:42 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EnterpriseCat:
I'm certainly not a coach or round ball expert, but Murray's defense looks as bad as Derek's to me. How many times did Sword drive past him Tuesday night? I haven't heard Murray's name mentioned one time when it comes tombad D. Cal needs to be consistent at the very least.

I think the big difference is that Murray gives effort on defense. His problem is he over plays his man and gets out of position. Murray will play great on ball defense for 20 seconds, then overplay to one side and his man is GONE.

I will also say that Murray allows himself to get "picked" more than any player that I think I have ever seen on underneath out of bounds plays. How many baskets has he given up like that this year. At least 5.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

shoe
Player
Member # 1830

posted 01-16-2016 11:22 AM      Profile for shoe   Email shoe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Cal is doing this so Willis will leave on his own at the end of the year and can use his scholarship next year. This way it won't look like Cal took it away.
Posts: 685 | From: Dayton,Ky | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-16-2016 12:43 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Trey, I totally disagree with you on Murray. He is a worse defender than Willis is, he could not guard the water bucket but he can score for us in bunches and is needed on the floor for this team to be successful. I watch all the games, Willis does hustle, he is constantly looking over his shoulder and afraid to make a mistake and Cal has magnified that will his public comments. He has had two and a half years to teach Willis how he wants him to play, I am starting to think the shortcomings are with the coach and not the kids. Cal is used to recruiting almost pro ready players and he really does very little to develop talent in my opinion. He is the best recruiter in all of college basketball but look at Lee, Alex and Willis, all were as good when they were freshmen if not better than they are now. Some of the blame goes squarely on the shoulders of Cal in my opinion. I have never felt Cal developed talent, he recruits it and throws out the ball and lets them play.
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-16-2016 12:46 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The public calling out of Jones a few years ago seemed to work and I think he's trying to do the same thing to Willis. I don't think he will leave with one more year to go. He's not going to the NBA anyway so he's getting his education for free and then will move into the work place.
Posts: 14207 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-16-2016 01:33 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
SCWC,

We will have to disagree on this one. I don't by any means think that Murray is a great defender, but I see effort from him.

I really don't think Willis cares about the defensive end one iota. I can't name the number of times that all he had to do was raise a freaking hand up to challenge a defender, nope always at his side. I've never seen the kid fight through a screen, always and I mean always goes under it, he will not rotate on help side defense. You can see examples of all three during the Miss State game alone.

I at least see Murray try to fight through a screen (I'll give you that he is not good at it), I see Murray pressuring the ball in a defensive stance with hands up or wavering side to side (Once again I'll give you that he generally gets beat off the dribble). Like I said, the difference I see between the two is that Murray is giving effort, he is doing that things that you would normally see a good defender.

I also think Murray is a way better re bounder than Willis. I just don't think Derek was ever forced to learn to play defense while he was young. Why? Probably because he was always so much better than anyone he played against. My guess is when he got to high school, they needed him on the court and his coaches probably didn't want him in foul trouble so they let his defense slide (you see this a lot in high school IMO. Heck you can see it down at LSU with Ben Simmons right now. I'll guarantee the LSU coaches have told him to do what is necessary to stay on the floor).

It's obvious that Cal wasn't happy with Murray's defense on Tuesday as you could hear him yell "Let someone else guard him then" referring to Sword.

[ 01-16-2016, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------

redbone

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-16-2016 01:43 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Cal is hard on Willis because he "KNOWS" that Willis is sitting on a "lottery ticket" if he would just do the basics on defense but if he doesn't learn to play he will never play in the NBA or any professional league for that. You have to play on the defensive end to survive at the Pro level.

I know I would be frustrated if I were coaching a 6'10" Junior with the skills that Derek has only to see the kid not be able to have defensive skills that most 4th graders have playing Pee-Wee Basketball (Ok, maybe Pee-Wee is a stretch, but my middle schoolers know to get in a defensive stance, hands up, fight over the top of screens, slide your feet, not cross them, and pursue the ball with both hands). It is simple.

--------------------

redbone

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-16-2016 02:35 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

I know I would be frustrated if I were coaching a 6'10" Junior with the skills that Derek has only to see the kid not be able to have defensive skills that most 4th graders have playing Pee-Wee Basketball (Ok, maybe Pee-Wee is a stretch, but my middle schoolers know to get in a defensive stance, hands up, fight over the top of screens, slide your feet, not cross them, and pursue the ball with both hands). It is simple.

Trey, that is a very harsh statement about any UK player. To compare Willis to a 4th grader is totally ridiculous in my opinion. You and I obviously see the game through different eyes.

I personally don't think Cal has ever really given Willis the encouragement or coaching he has needed to be productive at UK. He has the athletic skills but he knows if he messes up, one and a half minutes and he is back on the bench. You can't get into the flow of the game that way. I don't see Willis as being a pro player but I do feel he has all the tools to be a good college player were he given a fair opportunity. He came to UK as a 4 star, like Charles Matthews and Matthews minutes have been waning lately. Mulder has been taking Matthews minutes and in my opinion, Mulder might be the weakest of all who play for us on a regular basis. He was brought in as a three point shooter but is shooting 20 percent from behind the arc. I consider Mulder a wasted scholorship myself and I truly hope he proves me wrong. Mulder will rarely get off the bench next season with the talent we have coming in, neither will Willis or Lee if he is still on campus I like these high profile players on our roster but will admit, Cal does a great job at UK but I am not a fan of Cal as a person, he is much more about Cal and the NBA than he is Kentucky.

Trey, we will just disagree on Murray. He tries sometimes but if you watch him closely on defense, he is pretty much lost even with his effort. I see as much or maybe more effort from Willis defensively than I do Murray.
quote:

[ 01-16-2016, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-16-2016 02:56 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ray, don't disagree with you much but since Willis has been here he has not used his God given talent to their fullest. He is a good shooter no one can say otherwise but just look at his other stats like rebounding. He is a big boy but doesn't play defense near like he should and get's beat off the dribble. The other thing to remember Cal is a ass at times but the one thing you can count on he is going to play his best players. He has a ego to win like no other and certainly wouldn't sacrifice that by letting a deserving player sit on the bench no matter who he was. imo

--------------------

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-16-2016 03:02 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bruce, a little good old fashioned coaching might take care of any Willis shortcomings. I still do not see him as that bad on defense, he is weak but not nearly as bad as Cal is making him out to be. Don't play him at all if he is as bad defensively as Cal is implying he is. I think this is a cop out on the part of Cal myself, he has obviously been asked more than once why Willis does not play more and this is his answer to the question, criticize the young man publically.

BTW, this is a good exchange of opinions, something that we have been missing on this forum for a while. I have very strong opinions about the game of basketball and credit it for almost everything good that has happened in my life. I don't mind having someone disagree with me

Even I will admit Willis has defensive short comings but so do many players on this team, could any of that be lack of fundamentals coaching??????? Like Alex, look like Tarzan, play like Jane some of the time, tons of talent but not applying himself on a consistent basis. Lee plays hard all the time but Cal has done little to improve his game during his three years at UK, either offensively or defensively, Lee could block shots as well or better as a freshman than he does not. I feel bad for Skal, he has a lot of natural talent that is not being used.

[ 01-16-2016, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 01-16-2016 03:35 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Willis doesn't play as well as he is capable of playing. He has a chance to be a pro player. He doesn't put forth the effort on defense. If he can prove his worth as a defender, he can make money in the league as a shooter, but not if he can't defend.

What is worse, Cal shaming him in public to be better when he plays him and not getting what he wants or Cal ignoring him and keeping his butt on the bench like he did last season?

I want the best for the young man. Especially since he is a Kentucky kid. But, the question is : How much does Wilis want to be in the pros? If he doesn't want it, all we will see is a kid that has potential and there will be the few fan comments about how he should have went to a school where he would have started.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-16-2016 03:36 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hopefully Willis plays today and has a great game.

--------------------

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-16-2016 03:41 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Boom, you echo the sentiments of all of us. We all want a Ky kid to be successful as we do every individual member of the team. Hopefully all will have good games and we can get a win against Auburn. I am one that has never felt Willis had NBA caliber talent but do feel he is talented enough to be a solid role player for us. I would love to see him, Alex and Lee all on NBA rosters but don't see that happening, hope I am wrong.

I follow Willis on IOS, he might have a model for a girl friend, she is one beautiful young girl who is the one that gave him the blonde and then the gray hair before he had it all cut off. I follow all the players that are on IOS as well as all the lady cats. I am all things UK.

[ 01-16-2016, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-16-2016 03:49 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All I can say is Willis is the only player over 6'8 that gives us continuous scoring ability form outside 8 feet!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 124007 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-16-2016 03:55 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He is 6'9" or 6'10", his size is great. He should be a heck of a rebounder.

--------------------

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-16-2016 04:58 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Looks like maybe that is what Willis needed. Great job by him giving the effort. Two handed rebounding, contested some shots, and even slid over to stop a drive.

Great play at end of half with pick and pop. The foul they called on him a few minutes prior was bogus. He was set on the screen IMO.

--------------------

redbone

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-16-2016 05:05 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hope we get that effort every game, maybe he has the talent to really help us, I hope so for his sake. I feel bad for Skal, nice kid but this making him tough is getting him technical fouls.
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-16-2016 06:37 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I guess what cal did worked. I hope he keeps this effort all the time. We need someone to be another scorer from the 4 or 5 position. Lee and poythress did nothing today, of course they never get the ball either.
Posts: 5446 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-16-2016 07:22 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Willis has finally given Coach an option off the bench! We are like a donut, there's nothing in the middle!

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-16-2016 07:51 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Even if our bigs can't score we should be at least getting 16 rebounds out of them every night!

--------------------

ALA_KAT2
Player
Member # 1559

posted 01-16-2016 08:02 PM      Profile for ALA_KAT2   Email ALA_KAT2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good game from Derek today against Auburn. I've never thought he was lazy or did not try on D. Many times he gets caught helping his teammates on D and leaves his man open from three. So his biggest problem is that he's not selfish enough. Heck, if he shot half as many times as Murray, he'd be our leading scorer.
And yes, Cal needs to cool it with singling him out on D.

--------------------
Adair CHS 1966/USAF/WKU/AT&T

GO BIG BLUE!

Posts: 4046 | From: Louisville, KY | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-16-2016 08:12 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One of Willis' weaknesses though is he passes on wide open shots!

--------------------

ALA_KAT2
Player
Member # 1559

posted 01-16-2016 08:19 PM      Profile for ALA_KAT2   Email ALA_KAT2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Unlike Murray, Willis is a team player. Yes, he passes up some shots but most are early in the shot clock. Coach has him playing the 5 spot a lot lately, setting inside picks for our "shooters" to peel off of. And Murray and Briscoe do not pass to him (or anyone else) when they are covered but instead throw up trash. Like others have said, Murray needs to let the game com to him instead of forcing things.

--------------------
Adair CHS 1966/USAF/WKU/AT&T

GO BIG BLUE!

Posts: 4046 | From: Louisville, KY | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-16-2016 08:23 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just remembered 3-4 times today where Willis had a wide open 3 and passed it without looking to even take the shot!

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-16-2016 08:27 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Unless Cal pulls Murray's green light, he's going to continue to shoot the ball as often as he can!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-17-2016 12:35 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He does like to shoot, no doubt about that.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-17-2016 12:35 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Murray has the talent to be a solid player in the NBA too.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-17-2016 12:36 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There are not to many college players that can play offense and defense the way Murray does.

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com