TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Kyle Wiltjer

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kyle Wiltjer
bluethru
Player
Member # 1767

posted 02-23-2015 06:42 PM      Profile for bluethru   Email bluethru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What is all the fascination with Kyle Wiltjer ?

--------------------
Rick
www.ohioCCW.org

Posts: 355 | From: Hamilton, Ohio | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-23-2015 07:58 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's great to see any former UK basketball player do well even when they move on. What I find strange is why anyone would not want to pull for someone as classy as Kyle.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 02-23-2015 08:21 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
THIS IS A BAIT QUESTION IMO, ITS EASY TO LOVE KYLE. THAT IS ALL I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT A LOADED QUESTION.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
AshTuckyUKfan
Player
Member # 3065

posted 02-23-2015 09:34 PM      Profile for AshTuckyUKfan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think a more appropriate question would be "What is the fascination with Gonzaga?". Seeing that somehow they are #2 in the nation while only playing two ranked teams...losing to one of them. They are this years Wichita St, a good team with no competition.
Posts: 369 | From: Ashland KY | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-23-2015 10:06 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He's been named player of the week for the last two weeks now!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123985 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-23-2015 10:07 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not a Gonzaga fan, as I think there's a reason why Few has never left the program for a more visible program. THE conference they are in speaks for itself!

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

AshTuckyUKfan
Player
Member # 3065

posted 02-24-2015 07:02 AM      Profile for AshTuckyUKfan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SCWC:
That Wichita State team had the same rap as Gonzaga this time last year and they gave us all we wanted in the tournament. The SEC is not a real strong basketball league in its own right, we may be stronger than the league Gonzaga plays in but it is not always wise to go putting down other teams and leagues until after you have played and beat some of them.

That Wichita St team was a result of a week schedule, plain and simple. I don't think it's fair for the teams who make a better attempt of playing better competition and losing close games to be considered mediocre while teams like that get rewarded for poor scheduling. Lets face it UK wasn't a great team last year but was still there toughest competition all year. I guess I get sick of all the mid-major love when truthfully it is undeserved. The Zags are in the same situation this year.
Posts: 369 | From: Ashland KY | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 02-24-2015 07:12 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't give two shakes for Gonzaga. As for once a Cat always a Cat, I call BS on that! The young man chose to leave. He is no longer a Cat! Best of luck to him and I don't wish him any harm. But, could care less about his career with his other team or his future in the European league.
Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 02-24-2015 12:16 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Going pro is not the same as leaving a college team for another college team. Not even close.

[ 02-24-2015, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: boomdaddy ]

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 02-24-2015 01:21 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Kyle transferred to Gonzaga. He is no longer a Cat. He is now a bulldog.

Had he spent his entire college career at Kentucky and went on to pursue whatever career he could make for himself, he would always be know as a Wildcat.

note: I had to google to see what nickname they are.

[ 02-24-2015, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: boomdaddy ]

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-24-2015 02:48 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Boomdaddy, please don't send me any more e mail messages through the Cats Domain. This is the second one you have sent me and I do not appreciate it. I hopefully have put you on a list so you cannot send me future e mails. Anyone that calls my opinions BS and gets away with it is not a person I want to have any contact with away from this forum or anywhere else.

[ 02-24-2015, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-24-2015 03:16 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When "any" player plays on a Kentucky team for any length of time or especially a contributor on a National Championship team is a Cat.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 02-24-2015 03:16 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
KYLE IS ACTUALLY BEING COACHED NOW, INSTEAD OF SOMEONE ROLLING A BALL OUT AND SAYING FIGHT FOR THAT BIG MAC BOYS, OR A QUARTER POUNDER. JOE LUNARDI KNOWS THIS DAME BRACKET STUFF AND HE HAS THE ZAGS AS A ONE SEED, AND AS FAR AS BEATING TEAMS U HAVE NO CONTROL OVER UR CONFERENCE, SO THEY BEAT WHOS IN THEIR CONFERENCE, AND HAVE BEAT GEORGIA, OUT OF THE SEC, WHICH IS A WEAK CONFERENCE, IF NOT FOR KY, SEC WOULD BE A BOTTOM DWELLER CONFERENCE IN BASKETBALL.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

rupps runt65
Player
Member # 1286

posted 02-24-2015 03:18 PM      Profile for rupps runt65   Email rupps runt65   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I always liked Kyle, he hit some big threes in 2012 tourney. Wish he could've made it here. The kid can really shoot!
Posts: 860 | From: jacksonville, fl. u.s.a. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-24-2015 03:25 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MH, I think any college basketball team in the country is visable when they are ranked no 3. You might not agree with it and it may not be a good rating but they certainly are a credible team and Wiltzer is a very credible player. imo

[ 02-24-2015, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------

Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 02-24-2015 03:28 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by catmandoo:
When "any" player plays on a Kentucky team for any length of time or especially a contributor on a National Championship team is a Cat.

YES CMD YOU ARE RIGHT. AND KYLE REPRESENTED THE UNIVERSITY OF KY WELL, AND WITH HONOR. JUST LOOK 85 MILES UP THE ROAD FROM UK, WHATS GOING ON. KYLE WOULD BE THE TYPE OF KID U HOPE UR DAUGHTER WOULD MARRY, JMO.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 02-24-2015 03:30 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I will admit that I was trying to figure out why a certain poster had a burr in his saddle regarding me and why in his mind that he thinks I am deliberately going against his opinions. I figured a private message would be the best way to let that poster vent and not make things so public.

Since I did not name a poster and did not quote a post, I find it not only odd that a certain poster felt the need to attack me but also to defend another poster who wasn't being attacked, either. I find the actions of a certain post to not only be unwarranted, but also immature.

I do not know what trials and tribulations that anyone is going through that would make them so sensitive to the opinions of a random Kentucky fan. Whatever it is, I hope the best for the poster that I have not named and wish the best for that person. May he find peace and happiness. Maybe happiness will be as elusive to that poster as an NBA contract will be for some transfers of the Kentucky program. Who knows?

[ 02-24-2015, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: boomdaddy ]

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 02-24-2015 03:34 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Green-bean,

Can you clarify what you meant by this?

quote:
KYLE IS ACTUALLY BEING COACHED NOW, INSTEAD OF SOMEONE ROLLING A BALL OUT AND SAYING FIGHT FOR THAT BIG MAC BOYS
Sounds rather provocative. Are you saying that you agree with the all-too-common suggestion that Cal doesn't coach, only recruit?

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13622 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 02-24-2015 03:48 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
IMO TIPTREE, CAL IS A VERY GOOD RECRUITER, NOT A GOOD XAND O COACH, U CAN SPIN IT ANY WAY ONE WANTS TOO, BUT THAT IS MY OPINION, IS THAT A BAD THANG HE DOES, NO, BUT ITS A WAY TO WIN GAMES AND THAT IS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT. WITH ALL THE TALENT CAL HAS HAD AT KY NUMBER 1 CLASS EVERY YEAR, HE SHOULD HAVE ABOUT 3 CHAMPIONSHIPS RIGHT NOW, CALS NUMBERS ARE NO BETTER THAN TUBBYS, NUMBERS ARE RIGHT NOW, AT KY, I DONT THANK, ONLY DIFFERENCE CAL CAN RECRUIT, TUBBY COULD NOT. BUT ITS HARD TO ARGUE WITH 27 AND 0 BUT WITH 8 OR 9 BIG MACS, AND A COUPLE OF QUARTER POUNDERS U SHOULD WIN ALOT. JMO

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-24-2015 04:51 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Cal is a fantastic "x and o" coach. I watch some of the plays they run and things they do and find them fascinating. I also see other teams that don't have a clue of what to do with a basketball and it makes me wonder how that coach got his job. I think Cal is the best of both worlds - recruiting and coaching.

I think the general public also thinks Pitino is a great "x and o" coach. I think he's above average, but nowhere near great. If anything he's responsible for one of the biggest heartbreaks in UK history - not putting a man on the inbounds passer. [Eek!]

Posts: 10343 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 02-24-2015 04:53 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
WELL THE WAY I SEE IT MOST PEOPLE REFER TO NAME CALLING, BECAUSE THEY HAVE LOST THE ARGUMENT, OR DISCUSSION. JMO

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 02-24-2015 05:05 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You beat me to it Paulcat. I might not have said fantastic, but very good. There may be a few better with x&o,s but IMO, Cal is the total package and has proved it at more than one university. Not many coaches can say that.

That' just my opinion and I'm certainly no basketball expert.

Posts: 5400 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-24-2015 05:09 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If a team's best player had to leave our team to get playing time, that team just doesn't scare me. [Smile]

Honestly though, during the tournament every team scares me. I get nervous when we're a #1 seed playing a #16!

viccolo
Player
Member # 1860

posted 02-24-2015 05:26 PM      Profile for viccolo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I Yi Yi .... Sounds like it's getting close to Tournament time.. HYPE is everywhere. I love it.... [Wink]

--------------------
Vicco Ky ...Dodge City of the east

Posts: 2449 | From: Saint Marys OH | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-24-2015 05:31 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
PC, I normally am a nervous Nellie if we were playing a 16 seeded team but not with this team. I would however worry about a 15 seed and lower. [Wink]

--------------------

Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 02-24-2015 05:40 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulCat:
I think Cal is a fantastic "x and o" coach. I watch some of the plays they run and things they do and find them fascinating. I also see other teams that don't have a clue of what to do with a basketball and it makes me wonder how that coach got his job. I think Cal is the best of both worlds - recruiting and coaching.

I think the general public also thinks Pitino is a great "x and o" coach. I think he's above average, but nowhere near great. If anything he's responsible for one of the biggest heartbreaks in UK history - not putting a man on the inbounds passer. [Eek!]

NOW THATS WAT IM TALKING ABOUT PAUL, THATS UR OPINION AND THATS GREAT, U DIDNT HAVE TO CALL NAMES, TO GET UR POINT ACROSS. THATS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT WE ALL DONT SEE THANGS THE SAME WAY, AND THATS WATS GOOD ABOUT IT. I HATE MY BROTHERS OPINIONS BUT I LOVE MY BROTHER, SAME HERE I LOVE MY KY WILDCATS BRETHERN.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-24-2015 09:00 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm with Paul, I'm usually nervous for every tourney game until the under 12 minute timeout!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-24-2015 09:13 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It won't be long now and we all can be nervous together however we got the best players and a the best x's and o's coach.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-24-2015 09:49 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure but I'd say 2 more final fours in 4 less years would be a better record than a previous coach we had!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-24-2015 10:46 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Cal would not be happy with all the talent we have with anything less than a NCAA title. He is a winner and that's what makes him special and spurs him on. He could handle a loss as long as it isn't in the tournament. imo

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-25-2015 05:55 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know that it's been a while now, but this team did lose to the Dominican Republic!

--------------------

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 02-25-2015 10:41 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is Gonzaga's record in the tourney:

2014 1-1 Defeated Oklahoma State in first round, 85-77
Lost to Arizona in second round, 84-61
2013 1-1 Defeated Southern University in first round, 64-58
Lost to Wichita State in second round, 76-70
2012 1-1 Defeated West Virginia in first round, 77-54
Lost to Ohio State in second round, 73-66
2011 1-1 Defeated St. John's in first round, 86-71
Lost to Brigham Young in second round, 89-67
2010 1-1 Defeated Florida State in first round, 67-60
Lost to Syracuse in second round, 87-65
2009 2-1 Defeated Akron in first round, 77-64
Defeated Western Kentucky in second round, 83-81
Lost to North Carolina in regional semifinal, 98-77
2008 0-1 Lost to Davidson in first round, 82-76
2007 0-1 Lost to Indiana in first round, 70-57
2006 2-1 Defeated Xavier in first round, 79-75
Defeated Indiana in second round, 90-80
Lost to UCLA in regional semifinal, 73-71
2005 1-1 Defeated Winthrop in first round, 74-64
Lost to Texas Tech in second round, 71-69
2004 1-1 Defeated Valparaiso in first round, 76-49
Lost to Nevada in second round, 91-72
2003 1-1 Defeated Cincinnati in first round, 74-69
Lost to Arizona in second round, 96-95
2002 0-1 Lost to Wyoming in first round, 73-66
2001 2-1 Defeated Virginia in first round, 86-85
Defeated Indiana State in second round, 85-68
Lost to Michigan State in regional semifinal, 77-62
2000 2-1 Defeated Louisville in first round, 77-66
Defeated St. John's in second round, 82-76
Lost to Purdue in regional semifinal, 75-66
1999 3-1 Defeated Minnesota in first round, 75-63
Defeated Stanford in second round, 82-74
Defeated Florida in regional semifinal, 73-72
Lost to Connecticut in regional final, 67-62
1995 0-1 Lost to Maryland in first round, 87-63

No championships and no final fours.

I have always heard that basketball success at Kentucky is measured by championships and final fours.

If Gonzaga's coach is such a great coach, he surely doesn't meet what is considered to be successful by the average Kentucky fan.

Sure, they always seem to have great shooters and can put points on the board. How far has that gotten them in the NCAA tourney?

Yes, a former Kentucky player has transferred and is getting his name in the headlines for scoring points. But, as another poster pointed out, he had to leave Kentucky to get playing time. It doesn't mean that he is a bad player. It means that he was not a great enough player to get a lot of minutes at Kentucky.

I will go on record that the Zags will not make the final four this year, either. Despite the lone voter's opinion that they were the #1 team a week or two ago, I say that they are fools gold and that their inability to play defense will get them bounced in the tourney. By the way, we all know the reason Wiltjer did not get significant minutes at Kentucky was his deficiencies on defense.

I am still amazed that there are opinions out there that Calipari is not a great X and O coach. His team has been the best ranked defense all season and now has dipped to number two. He is accomplishing this with freshmen and sophomores. He has one junior and no seniors. I could be wrong, but getting guys out of high school to play solid defense their first year in college seems like an impressive bit of coaching to me. Yes, 5 star Johnny has all of the skill to be future draft pick, but he still has to show improvement from high school though his first or second year in college. Some may think that all of the 5 star Johnny's come to college, complete with all of the refined basketball skills to make them all stars right out of the gate. I would venture to guess that they have plenty of raw skills that have to be refined and lots of bad habits that have to be broken, when making the step up in competition.

Why do the best high school players want to play for Calipari? My guess is that they know he is a great X and O guy who can sharpen their skills and break their bad habits.

I would also venture a guess that not many of the 5 star Johnny players had to play team ball. They were always option 1,2, ad 3. They get to Kentucky and Cal teaches them to play unselfish and win using a "team first " concept. I could be wrong, but I would call that being a great X and O coach.

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-25-2015 11:36 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Gonzaga have played in every NCAA tournament since 1999 and have a record o 13-3 in their first round games.

[ 02-25-2015, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-25-2015 11:47 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
During that same period Kentucky has missed playing in the NCAA tournament in 2009 when Gillispie was our coach and 2013.

--------------------

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-25-2015 12:36 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I bet if UK played in Gonzaga's conference, we wouldn't have missed in 2009 and 2013. Just my opinion.
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 02-25-2015 02:14 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Agree totally with PC.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36270 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-25-2015 02:44 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We wouldn't get the recruits we get either.

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com