TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Jodie Meeks set to graduate

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jodie Meeks set to graduate
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-07-2014 09:49 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's stories like this that make you proud of our Cats.

I’m not sure who had the idea for former Kentucky star Jodie Meeks to do a press conference Thursday because he will be participating in graduation ceremonies this weekend.

Maybe that doesn’t sound like a huge deal, but remember Meeks left UK after his junior season — who could blame him after the way he was treated by former UK coach Billy Gillispie when he was injured — and did not hold a press conference because of the timing of his decision to leave UK rather than stay and play for new coach John Calipari.

However, Meeks did say at the time he had promised his parents, both college graduates, that he would eventually finish his marketing degree and now he’s done just that and is willing to share his story/experience with media members — and UK fans — on Thursday.

Meeks is following the path two other former Wildcats — Wayne Turner and Marquis Estill — have taken in recent years with Calipari’s help even though they did not play for him, either. It’s one reason one has to believe that many of the players who played under Calipari and left early for the NBA will also eventually find a way to complete their degrees.

“The NBA’s all about marketing and branding yourself, so I’ve seen a lot of good ideas from players and organizations about marketing,” Meeks told Eric Lindsey of coachcal.com a year ago.

Meeks just finished his second season with the Los Angles Lakers and injured teammate Kobe Bryant, one of the league’s elite players. He had been on back-to-back successful teams in Philadelphia before the Lakers fizzled in the first round of the 2013 playoffs and never were in contention for a playoff berth this year.

Meeks averaged a career-high 15.7 points per game, and made a career-best 40.1 percent of his 3-point shots. He made about $1.6 million last season, but is now a free agent who should command a much larger salary.

Meeks is scheduled to become a free agent this summer, and after earning a mere $1.6 million this year, he will likely see a big payday.

“It was a blessing to have a good year in a contract year,” Meeks told Will Hammock of the Gwinnett (Ga.) Daily Post. “Obviously, I wish the team could have done better but it was a good year for me. I got a chance to show what I can do more because we had a lot of injuries. I got a lot of playing time so I could show what I can do.”

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186362 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
FlaCatz
Player
Member # 925

posted 05-07-2014 11:33 AM      Profile for FlaCatz   Email FlaCatz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good for Him!! One of my favorite who really played his best for a sorry tyrant of a coach when many others could have, or would have folded the tent earlier...... Now if he decides to go into coaching after his NBA career, he can actually put that on his resume. [Wink]

--------------------
Pray for our Service Members and their families left behind!

Posts: 8880 | From: Lawrenceburg, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
1 Catlanta Fan
Player
Member # 1526

posted 05-07-2014 01:26 PM      Profile for 1 Catlanta Fan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Will always remember the UT game!!
Posts: 141 | From: Huntsville, AL | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-07-2014 01:35 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is the video of his record setting performance. Loved the look on the face of the man wearing the orange jacket. [Wink]

Jodie Meeks Link

--------------------

Posts: 186362 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 05-07-2014 05:29 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Had Jodie stayed for Cal's first season, we may have won another National Championship. We had a great team but were inconsistent from behind the three point line and that is what cost us the game against the WVU 1-3-1 zone defense. We only made 4 of 32 three point shots in that losing effort.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-07-2014 09:09 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ray, If we had played West Virginia 20 times that season we should have beat them 19 times and that includes the game we lost. There is no way we should have lost that game with the talent we had. I give Bob Huggins all the credit in the world for that victory, he closed the lanes and cut off our drives and every time Cousins touched the ball he had 3 men surrounding him. He made us beat them from the outside and it worked to perfection as like you say we went 4-32 from the 3 point line.

--------------------

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 05-08-2014 06:09 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bruce, I totally agree with your assessment. To go 4 for 32 from three point land is not something you see from teams very often, we just had one of those nights. We were a much better team than WVU but unfortunately in the NCAA you only get one chance at it. I truly thought we were the best team in the NCAA that year, still do.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com