TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » New Assistant Rumor..

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Assistant Rumor..
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-13-2014 08:50 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just read on Twitter that Barry Rohrsson is on a very, very short list to be one of Kentucky's new assistant coaches. He is a former Manhattan Jaspers Head Coach and a former assistant at Pitt.

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 124007 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-13-2014 08:59 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is some information on Barry "Slice" Rohrssen. He sounds like a good addition to the staff. Hope he is hired.

Rohrssen was a member of Pitt’s coaching staff from 2001-06, serving under Dixon and Howland. Prior to his departure, he was named Dixon’s associate head coach from 2004-06.

Rohrssen left the Pitt program to take the head coaching position at Manhattan College. He was fired after five seasons that saw the Jaspers go 58-95. Barry’s most successful season was 2008-09 when he guided Manhattan to a fourth-place finish in the MAAC and 16-14 overall record.

Rohrssen’s latest stop was with the Idaho Stampede. He was an assistant for the Portland Trail Blazers’ D-League affiliate last year.

Rohrssen’s nickname originated during his playing days at St. Francis College. He was known for ‘slicing’ through opposing defenses like butter. Needless to say, his nickname never went away. Barry is a member of the Screen Actors Guild. He has worked in movies, television shows and commercials. Rohrssen worked alongside Al Pacino and Jack Lemon in the movie Glengarry Glen Ross.

The 52-year old Brooklyn native is a dual threat: a phenomenal coach and recruiter. Rohrssen is a well-respected, well-liked coach known for ability to land top talent from the New York / New Jersey area. Barry was responsible for bringing the likes of Chris Taft, Keith Benjamin, John DeGroat, Levance Fields, Carl “Bronx” Krauser, “Razor” Ron Ramon and Tyrell Biggs to Pitt. He primarily worked with the Panthers’ big men. There was a noticeable drop off in their development after his departure.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186362 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
viccolo
Player
Member # 1860

posted 04-14-2014 11:29 AM      Profile for viccolo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
With an overall Losing record. why would he be a good FIT for UK, please explain?

--------------------
Vicco Ky ...Dodge City of the east

Posts: 2449 | From: Saint Marys OH | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 04-14-2014 11:34 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He wasn't a good fit at Manhattan, if he was that great a recruiter, looks like he would have had a better record than that. imo. Never hire a fired coach. Ky can do better than that.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
viccolo
Player
Member # 1860

posted 04-14-2014 11:34 AM      Profile for viccolo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by viccolo:
With an overall Losing record. why would he be a good FIT for UK, please explain?

He could have also offered Ritchie some Honest, Gainful employment, Maybe it would keep him outa' Jail...
[Big Grin]

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-14-2014 11:39 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
V, he "isn't" the coach who is responsible for winning and losing. He is a assistant coach who does a specific job or jobs that Calipari would give him. Like the article said he is well respected as a person and a good recruiter with ties to the Eastern part of the country. Lastly Cal likes and evidently trusts him or his name would ever come up. If Cal wants him he must be special.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186362 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
viccolo
Player
Member # 1860

posted 04-14-2014 11:44 AM      Profile for viccolo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My Bad, I thought he was Head coach at Manhattan College with a poor losing record.

--------------------

Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 04-14-2014 12:54 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yea vic that is wat the article says to me. course im not very smart. I just think we can get better.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-14-2014 01:51 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm sure coach Cal is what ultimately sells UK to recruits anyway. I don't think the assistant is that big of a deal.
Posts: 10350 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com