TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Just read bad news from Rex Champman

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just read bad news from Rex Champman
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-07-2014 08:29 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Chapman just posted on twitter a little bit ago that Coach Cal was reportedly going to the Lakers at season end! He would only say that it was a pretty reliable source!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123995 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Naskats
Player
Member # 1904

posted 04-07-2014 08:34 PM      Profile for Naskats   Email Naskats   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
April fools day was last week....

--------------------
Whatever you are be a good one

Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1204 | From: Hagerstown, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-07-2014 08:42 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Guys like Cal don't work in the NBA. Guys who like to roam the sidelines and coach a team from the sidelines, they just don't work in the NBA. Cal knows that. Pitino knows that. I honestly believe these two will never coach in the NBA again.
Posts: 10348 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
AshTuckyUKfan
Player
Member # 3065

posted 04-07-2014 08:57 PM      Profile for AshTuckyUKfan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Something is off. Chapman knows better than say something like that right before the championship game...not buying it. His acct was hacked or something.
Posts: 369 | From: Ashland KY | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 04-07-2014 11:33 PM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why would Cal let Antigua take the USF job and then leave? Why wouldn't he let Antigua compete for the Kentucky job.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2259 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 04-07-2014 11:42 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal just got asked about the laker job and he didn't deny it. He just said "the lakers have a coach, Kentucky has a coach. I have the greatest job. I won't even dignify that with an answer." I don't like to hear those answers. Just say your not going anywhere you are staying here. The fact he didn't say that does have me worried.
Posts: 5442 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-07-2014 11:45 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GA Cat:
Why would Cal let Antigua take the USF job and then leave? Why wouldn't he let Antigua compete for the Kentucky job.

Because Antigua would never get the UK job. You have to have a special coach to handle the pressures of UK and I don't think Mitch would turn the reigns over to a guy who has zero head coaching experience.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11572 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 04-07-2014 11:51 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have been one that has questioned some of Cals coaching moves, but I have always said I do not want him to go. He is a great fit for UK I just want him to keep improving as a coach. I think he did that this season with his handling of the team at the end of the season and the tournament, and the fact that he played some zone this year. I still don't think he is a great game coach as far as taking advantage of situations, it I do not want him to leave. He handles the pressure well and is good with all of the attention. Hope he makes the right decision and stays at UK. I just think he could really have.a great end to his coaching career at UK. He could win a couple more championships and really have a legacy as a college coach.
viccolo
Player
Member # 1860

posted 04-08-2014 12:20 AM      Profile for viccolo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by m hamilton:
Chapman just posted on twitter a little bit ago that Coach Cal was reportedly going to the Lakers at season end! He would only say that it was a pretty reliable source!

I'm pleased to hear that.
When a coach has this many 5 stars on his team and loses 23 games in two yrs he has his mind somewhere else or up his Arse.IMO

--------------------
Vicco Ky ...Dodge City of the east

Posts: 2449 | From: Saint Marys OH | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
eleem
Player
Member # 884

posted 04-08-2014 12:28 AM      Profile for eleem   Email eleem   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He just told one of the wkyt reporters that he was
staying at UK.

Posts: 13248 | From: flatwoods,ky. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 04-08-2014 12:29 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I dint hear him say he was staying. He just said he wouldn't dignify it with an answer. Big difference.
phillrose1
Player
Member # 2916

posted 04-08-2014 08:44 AM      Profile for phillrose1     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would be shocked if this happened to be honest. Aside from saying you are coaching for the Lakers what allure is there. He is going to be rebuilding a team with no assets. I love watching Kobe but he is coming of two injuries at the end of his career and Nash is done playing but will continue to get that paycheck next year. That leaves half of their salary cap to bring in younger players. With the way Stern set up the salary cap you can not just go buy teams like you did before. They are in for a huge rebuilding situation and it will probably be 5-8 years before they can compete for a title again and those fans want to compete for a title every year like UK fans do. The coach that goes there is walking into a major rebuild with a fan base who has unreal expectations.

--------------------
Being defeated is a temporary condition, giving up makes it permanent.

Posts: 84 | From: Va Beach | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
viccolo
Player
Member # 1860

posted 04-08-2014 09:04 AM      Profile for viccolo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's not unlike what is happening at UK every year under Cal.
Recruit them every year, Start them , then complain that they are only Freshmen.
Sooner or later the BBN is gonna' catch on.

--------------------
Vicco Ky ...Dodge City of the east

Posts: 2449 | From: Saint Marys OH | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-08-2014 09:37 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
When a coach has this many 5 stars on his team and loses 23 games in two yrs he has his mind somewhere else or up his Arse.IMO

I have to assume this statement is made in jest.
Posts: 5412 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
phillrose1
Player
Member # 2916

posted 04-08-2014 09:37 AM      Profile for phillrose1     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
IMO I would love to see a few more 3-4 year players at UK but when looking at the Lakers and the pros it is coming down to money. In college you just need to sell your program and yourself. In the NBA you need to sell yourself, the program and then pay the players to come there. Daunting task. Maybe my thoughts on him not leaving are through blue colored glasses in that I hope he doesnt leave. Tom Crean might be available soon.

--------------------
Being defeated is a temporary condition, giving up makes it permanent.

Posts: 84 | From: Va Beach | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
uncSUCKS
Player
Member # 2148

posted 04-08-2014 10:36 AM      Profile for uncSUCKS   Email uncSUCKS   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just listened to Rex on Dan Patrick show. Rex said he heard from 2 reliable sources Cal to Lakers is a done deal. Although when Dan asked him in 2 months where would Cal be coaching, Rex said UK. Dan actually called him out on this and told him he should choose better wording.
So basically now we have breaking news that Cal is staying at UK...
Always liked Rex but not sure what his agenda is? The attention? He does have good sources and it would be a great fit for Cal but why announce it before the game??

--------------------
"God is great, beer is good.....and people are crazy!"

Posts: 3241 | From: stuck in the land of the tarhole ! | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
AshTuckyUKfan
Player
Member # 3065

posted 04-08-2014 11:17 AM      Profile for AshTuckyUKfan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by viccolo:
[/qb]

When a coach has this many 5 stars on his team and loses 23 games in two yrs he has his mind somewhere else or up his Arse.IMO[/QB][/QUOTE]

Would you rather him recruit mediocre players that are only staying because they're not good enough for the next level?

Don't forget the state UK basketball was in before he came. No reason to blast the guy because he is the best at following the guidelines put in place by the NBA.

Im sure getting a team of all freshman to play together as a team well enough to play for the championship game takes a good coach.

[ 04-08-2014, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: AshTuckyUKfan ]

FlaCatz
Player
Member # 925

posted 04-08-2014 11:48 AM      Profile for FlaCatz   Email FlaCatz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Vic,

I have not seen your positive messages of hope and support in a long, long time....... Can't say that I missed them.. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Pray for our Service Members and their families left behind!

Posts: 8880 | From: Lawrenceburg, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
1 Catlanta Fan
Player
Member # 1526

posted 04-08-2014 12:15 PM      Profile for 1 Catlanta Fan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There are some vicious comments out there in Internetland. Amazing what other fans think of you when you over-achieve and get to the final game; one auburn fan called us morons, we weren't suppose to be there.
And if you all didn't know, we invented couch-burning when we lose, we're the first fans to do that.

Posts: 141 | From: Huntsville, AL | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 04-08-2014 01:57 PM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In a post game interview with ESPN's Jeeannine Edwards that barring a health issue he will be coaching at Kentucky next year.

http://www.nationofblue.com/john-calipari-tells-jeannine-edwards-he-will-be-at-kentucky-next-season/

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2259 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 04-08-2014 03:58 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just watched the interview Ga cat, thanks for posting. I loved it when coach cal said he had the best job in the world and that barring health issues he would be back.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9802 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 04-08-2014 05:40 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't trade Cal for anybody.
Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 04-08-2014 06:52 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
WE have the best coach in college basketball. What he did with this young team is just remarkable. I hope he is at UK for the remainder of his working career.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
AshTuckyUKfan
Player
Member # 3065

posted 04-08-2014 08:56 PM      Profile for AshTuckyUKfan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jay bilas said someone in Cal's position would be crazy not to listen to the Lakers. Didn't Cal tell Memphis's fans he wasn't leaving shortly before he took the UK job? I hope I'm wrong but I have a bad feeling about the situation.
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-08-2014 09:23 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
During his radio call in show this evening. Tom asked him what was in store in the near future. Coach said, Promote his new book, Establish his coaching staff and have hip surgery in May. Doesn't sound to me like a person who's making a career move!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123995 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-08-2014 09:23 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is not going to be a popular opinion, at least with some. I believe if Cal is given the opportunity and given some real control of the team along with the coaching duties, he will take it.

I believe Cal loves a challenge and would like to prove to everyone he can coach on any level. I have absolutely nothing to back that opinion up with except his past history of leaving teams for what he perceives as greener pastures. I don't fault him one little bit for that. Would they really be greener in LA? I don't think so but my perception is not what counts.

I hope I'm wrong. Like SCWC said, I hope he is at UK as long as he coaching.

[ 04-08-2014, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5412 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-08-2014 09:27 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal gets a new challenge every year... right here in the bluegrass state.
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-08-2014 10:27 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have signs that make me tend to not shrug this rumor off. As was said above He told Memphis the same thing then left. He does like a challenge and rebuilding a program. He has also lost one of his best coaches and recruiters. If given his way with selecting guys to rebuild with he has a lot of great former kids he coached to try to trade for. But if it does not come true I would expect that King Rex will no longer be welcome around here.....again.
Posts: 14181 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 04-09-2014 12:01 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
IMO he doesn't even think about leaving until his son Brad is out of high school!!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
AshTuckyUKfan
Player
Member # 3065

posted 04-09-2014 08:51 AM      Profile for AshTuckyUKfan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We thought the same exact thing about pitino.
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-09-2014 09:47 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And Pitino admitted that leaving UK was his biggest mistake. I think Cal's a little smarter than ol' Ricky P.
uncSUCKS
Player
Member # 2148

posted 04-09-2014 10:04 AM      Profile for uncSUCKS   Email uncSUCKS   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't be surprised if Cal leaves for the Lakers. The lure of 1-getting a lottery pick 2-Lebron is a free agent next year 3-will have money freed up to bring another top free agent in like Kevin love.
Not to mention how much easier that job will be compared to the recruiting that a college job has.
Rex has good connections and I do believe there is some substance to this. Just hope Cal doesn't take it and stays in Lexington for a few more years.

--------------------
"God is great, beer is good.....and people are crazy!"

Posts: 3241 | From: stuck in the land of the tarhole ! | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com