TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Vitale says Cats are a "major disappointment."

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vitale says Cats are a "major disappointment."
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-13-2014 04:45 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal and his Cats have a chance to show just how wrong a lot of these basketball gurus are and Cal's Cats are the real deal.

Even though Kentucky still has time to make a postseason push, ESPN analyst Dick Vitale said Thursday that the Wildcats have “been a major disappointment no matter what happens” after starting the season No. 1 and entering SEC Tournament play unranked.

“Look at the projections with all the high school McDonald’s All-Americans and preseason No. 1 and not in the top 25, that is a major disappointment,” Vitale said.

Vitale said Kentucky was “spoiled” by what Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist did as freshmen two years ago when UK won the national title with three freshmen starters.

“They bought into John (Calipari) and everything about it,” Vitale said. “This club is up and down and has struggled. I respect John and think he will end up in the  Hall of Fame, but I know he has got to be frustrated. He’s a driven guy who believes in winning and down deep I have got to believe these kids have not lived up to what his expectations were and what all the people’s were.”

Vitale remembers the preseason 40-0 predictions for UK and thought it was “nonsense” for such a young team. But he also admitted he “bought into these McDonald’s All-Americans” being better as a team than they have been and noted how teams such as Virginia, Wisconsin and Wichita State have won with older, but less highly recruited players.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-13-2014 05:40 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For once I totally agree with Vitale. I know this team has been a major disappointment for Coach Cal and all of the big blue nation. Maybe we expected too much because of all the pre season hype. I still think the talent level is much better than the team as a whole, just not enough basketballs to go around and they play like they really do not care much for each other.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheUKFan
Recruit
Member # 12628

posted 03-13-2014 09:14 PM      Profile for TheUKFan   Email TheUKFan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Obviously a team that started out as number 1 in the rankings and is now not ranked would be a major disappointment. Vitale is simply stating the obvious. I am disappointed as much as the next fan but I am more irritated with the ridiculous preseason rankings. They were a brand new team and they rank them #1? The media is a blessing and a curse with all this hype.
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-13-2014 09:16 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
100% True. The media members that ranked UK #1 should be considered the major disappointment.

And welcome to the site, TheUKFan.

[ 03-13-2014, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: PaulCat ]

Posts: 10334 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 03-13-2014 09:32 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Again, I agree with Paul. SO a freshman laden team is over hyped in the preseason. The media is the ones that made them that way. Everyone knows that just because you have the best Freshmen doesn't necessarily mean you have the best team.

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123971 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-13-2014 09:48 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just think with Randle and our rebounding we have enough talent to beat everyone including Florida if we give a full 40 minute effort.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-14-2014 04:05 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't recall a game all season long where this team have played a full forty minutes of both ends of the floor. We can only hope but a leopard just can't change its spots overnight normally.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cat Fan In The Mill
Player
Member # 2756

posted 03-14-2014 09:10 AM      Profile for Cat Fan In The Mill        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How can you not agree with Vitale? I think for us UK fans and those who are true fans of the game, this team has been a major disappointment.

However, it confirms by disbelief in the player rankings that every major recruiting site places on these players. Those types of rankings should be thrown out the window solely on the basis that until you see these kids play on the college level and be able to mesh with their teammates, they mean nothing.

It has been another frustrating season to say the least. I am hoping and keeping my fingers crossed that this team can make a respectable run.

--------------------
"On, On, U of K....We are right for the fight today......"

Posts: 1341 | From: Northern Kentucky | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
FlaCatz
Player
Member # 925

posted 03-14-2014 09:33 PM      Profile for FlaCatz   Email FlaCatz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
SCWC, catmandoo...... I agree with you both, AND wholeheartedly agree with Vitale.. Completely and totally Disappointing....

--------------------
Pray for our Service Members and their families left behind!

Posts: 8880 | From: Lawrenceburg, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-15-2014 09:44 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It really looks like we are starting to look like the team we all thought they would be before the season started.

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com