TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Lunardi thinks Cats "ordinary".

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lunardi thinks Cats "ordinary".
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-12-2014 07:22 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We have the talent and if Cal finds the key to make this team play to their capabilities we could surprise not only Lunardi but a whole lot of other people.

ESPN bracketologist Joe Lunardi thinks Kentucky is more likely to hurt its NCAA tournament seeding than help it during the Southeastern Conference Tournament.

Kentucky (22-9) plays either LSU or Alabama in Friday’s quarterfinals and if UK won twice it likely would meet No. 1 Florida, which was unbeaten in SEC play, in the conference title game Sunday.

“Kentucky could best help itself by starting the season over,” said Lunardi Wednesday. “I don’t mean to be snarky, but last time I looked they were 1-7 against the top 50. They could only play one team that can help (NCAA seeding) in Florida and they have not shown an ability to compete with Florida.

“They are in the 6-7 (seed) range at the moment. Short of beating Florida, that’s where they are going to stay. The real risk is a loss to a team below them and falling to the 7-8 range which is more what their profile would suggest. So, no, I don’t think they’re likely to help themselves. And they’re more likely in fact to go the other way.”

Lunardi irritated Kentucky fans a few weeks ago when he said UK had been “ordinary” this season — and that was before UK lost to Arkansas and South Carolina.

“I am used to taking heat from fans, particularly in places where the sport is taken seriously,” Lunardi said. “Take the name off the jersey and this team is very ordinary by Kentucky standards. They are allowed to be border-line good instead of a NBA team.

“My lesson from this is what happened two years ago (when UK started three freshmen and won the national title) was the exception and the last two years are maybe more likely when you try to make a high level Division I team out of some incredibly talented but non fit-together pieces that are highly rated and have never been a team.

“I respect Cal (John Calipari) for what he is trying to do that and doing it two years ago but he had a No. 1 draft pick (Anthony Davis) and Olympian and a lottery pick (Michael Kidd-Gilchrist). Maybe building a whole new team every year with all-stars is harder than we thought.”

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
AshTuckyUKfan
Player
Member # 3065

posted 03-12-2014 07:41 PM      Profile for AshTuckyUKfan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I didn't see anything out of place there, UK is very ordinary, nothing stand out at this point. Beating a few unranked SEC teams in the conference tournament won't help anything.
Posts: 369 | From: Ashland KY | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ol' Blue
Player
Member # 2317

posted 03-12-2014 07:56 PM      Profile for Ol' Blue   Email Ol' Blue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It depends on how we beat them. If we blow them out and dominate, it would make a huge change in the perception of the team.
If we squeak by with overtime wins then I agree, won't matter.

--------------------
Number nine will be divine!!

A man needs something to believe in.........I believe I'll have another beer!

Posts: 2274 | From: Roanoke, TX | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-13-2014 03:45 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with Lunardi, this team have just not meshed and are just an average team at best.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 03-13-2014 10:47 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anyone that doesn't see this is only fooling themselves. When you have this many supposed top high school athletes and they all need improvement to really make an NBA roster where else could you rate them but ordinary. If they want to change their brand they would need to not only win the SEC but do it in an outstanding manner. We could end up around a 7-9 seed unless this new twist Cal has makes a big change in them.
Posts: 14142 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
rupps runt65
Player
Member # 1286

posted 03-13-2014 10:47 AM      Profile for rupps runt65   Email rupps runt65   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Totally agree, nothing special bout them and they do nothing very well except for rebounding.
Posts: 860 | From: jacksonville, fl. u.s.a. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 03-13-2014 11:03 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I still can't give completely up on them. I think they may still come together and pull a couple of upsets. I guess according to their preseason ranking, that will still make them rather ordinary.
Posts: 5394 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cat Fan In The Mill
Player
Member # 2756

posted 03-13-2014 01:13 PM      Profile for Cat Fan In The Mill        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hard to argue against what Lunardi says.

--------------------
"On, On, U of K....We are right for the fight today......"

Posts: 1341 | From: Northern Kentucky | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ol' Blue
Player
Member # 2317

posted 03-13-2014 03:39 PM      Profile for Ol' Blue   Email Ol' Blue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They have Kentucky across the front of their uniforms, that's special enough for me.
Lunardi is an espn tool. Sure he gets the teams in mostly right, but 90% of BBN could do that. The seeds and match-ups not so much.

--------------------
Number nine will be divine!!

A man needs something to believe in.........I believe I'll have another beer!

Posts: 2274 | From: Roanoke, TX | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
WildcatFanatic
Player
Member # 2932

posted 03-13-2014 03:48 PM      Profile for WildcatFanatic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ordinary could, just could, evolve into "extra-ordinary". One never knows. It ain't over 'til that fat lady sings. Go Cats!!
Posts: 1531 | From: Lexington, Ky | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 03-13-2014 09:25 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is the same Lunardi who has Villanova as a number 1 seed too!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123971 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
TheUKFan
Recruit
Member # 12628

posted 03-13-2014 09:29 PM      Profile for TheUKFan   Email TheUKFan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I disagree with the almighty Lunardi in that I think this tournament could really help them with momentum. SEC tournament could give them that extra confidence they need to make a deep run in to the tournament. Yes I realize it's March, but I still believe in the Cats.....they have too much talent and ability to bail now.
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 03-13-2014 09:35 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Cats are going to have to play their best defensive game of the season tomorrow night in order to win this one!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123971 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-13-2014 09:44 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Whoever wins will have to have some breaks as there are just to many teams that seem to be equal.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com